www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:12 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Continuing to crowd source my residency quest...

Could anybody who's gotten residency in the past two or three years tell me how much they had to pay to Costa Rica itself, aside from the lawyer, translation and apostille fees?

I'm hearing wildly different numbers from lawyers about this, and can't find an official source on the web.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:25 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Honestly, if you speak Spanish you can do it all yourself without an attorney but you will need to spend a lot of time in lines, You will need to be able to comprehend what they are telling you so if you are not fluent you will need some help. My wife was going to help me with my residency but since we are married they suggested that it would be better for me to get citizenship vs residency as it will be quicker and cheaper since we are married. You will need to go to migration in la uruca over by Tango India. Get over there as early in the morning as possible, Also there will be a lot of people wanting to help you on the street but all they will do is try and get money from you for the help and delay the process because they want more money from you. Do it yourself as it is not hard but standing in line is the biggest headache. Be prepared to go there a few times as well. Costa Rica has weird requirements for the age of documents and things that are required have limited shelf life. Also, any documents coming from the US if you can get them in Spanish do so, otherwise, you will need to have them translated by someone that will certify them as well. This is not terribly expensive just time-consuming and more running around.