Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:29 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

saltyron wrote:
Netgems wrote:
SlimBNimble wrote:
Costa Rica Dental team. Pick you up in the downtown area and bring you back after appointment. Excellent care, reasonable prices. Very pleased with the services I have received there over the years.

I had them do an extraction, they said $50, but when I got there, they said I needed the dental surgeon, not a dentist because my roots are Neanderthal long and curved, they were honest, I knew that.

So I say "How much"?

They looked a bit embarrassed and said $100, lol.

Dental surgeon in USA would sting you about $500 or more for that, lol.

I was impressed! He had it out in 10 minutes and very little pain during and after, a real pro.

My copay for a recent extraction was $86.00... I did get some valium and a lot of nitrous for that :lol:

Good for you, the question is, was he a DENTAL SURGEON? They are real medical doctors, not just dentists, and are dramatically more skilled, costing dramatically more money, and if your co-pay was under a c note, what was the entire bill?

There's no co-pays here in Costa Rica, just "pays", lol. :mrgreen:

P.S., Years ago I went to a regular dentist and had severe pain from a difficult extraction, I wanted to put a shotgun to my mouth and pull the trigger with my big toe, lol.

I'm a believer when I'm in agonizing dental pain, I want narcotics, and plenty of 'em, until the pain is manageable. That dentist and his beyatch assistant said "sorry, no more" after pinching out a mere 5 which I gobbled up the first day, lol.

They said they are "concerned" about giving out too many Percocets, and worried about "addiction", and suggested I take over the counter meds, as helpful or maybe less than M&M's.

I went to his office and sat among other patients moaning and groaning, holding my jaw, trembling, an occasional "whoa!" belted out from the pain, and mentioning he may not give the pain meds needed, within 20 minutes I strolled out of that office with a script for thirty of those Babi*s, mission accomplished, lol. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:06 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Netgems wrote:
Good for you, the question is, was he a DENTAL SURGEON? They are real medical doctors, not just dentists, and are dramatically more skilled, costing dramatically more money, and if your co-pay was under a c note, what was the entire bill?

There's no co-pays here in Costa Rica, just "pays", lol. :mrgreen:

P.S., Years ago I went to a regular dentist and had severe pain from a difficult extraction, I wanted to put a shotgun to my mouth and pull the trigger with my big toe, lol.

I'm a believer when I'm in agonizing dental pain, I want narcotics, and plenty of 'em, until the pain is manageable. That dentist and his beyatch assistant said "sorry, no more" after pinching out a mere 5 which I gobbled up the first day, lol.

They said they are "concerned" about giving out too many Percocets, and worried about "addiction", and suggested I take over the counter meds, as helpful or maybe less than M&M's.

I went to his office and sat among other patients moaning and groaning, holding my jaw, trembling, an occasional "whoa!" belted out from the pain, and mentioning he may not give the pain meds needed, within 20 minutes I strolled out of that office with a script for thirty of those Babi*s, mission accomplished, lol. :mrgreen:

LOL - nice. No idea what the entire bill was, haven't received the insurance copy in the mail yet. My Dentist is a good guy, anything outside of a standard cleaning and I'm a big pu*sy about going to see him. So he's been VERY flexible in the before surgery meds and the after surgery meds. We've worked up a nice cocktail that works for me and keeps him from feeling like a pusher. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:18 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Lots of work done 8-10 years ago at 90210 which is now Dental Team?
Many of us will remember Dr Yelda Fernandez, so cute, who wasn't aware she was rubbin her boobs on you while she worked diligently. She's gone, as is Mauricio Bricenio, periodontist. As is the gringo who picked you up in the a.m. and dropped you off later, married to a local, hung out cocktail hs at SL. Yelda's is easy to search and find, officing circa LaSabana last time I saw her.

No gas in CR outside of a hospital setting. Mauricio was easy with as much Novocaine as you wanted even when he'd say I think your maxed and this won't help, still jab you.

10 years later and all the work they did is still good. At about 25% of what the bandit's in the estados quoted me. Mike appreciates the greenbacks.

One of the knock's for me on Mike's joint is location, especially when you're done and sore and you're stuck in SJ traffic, can be 45 minutes back to the gulch.

Edited 19 June to include: Jeff, I remember his name now, was the chauffeur from 90210/nka CR Dental Team that hung out at SL. Super nice man, many members will remember him. I wonder what became of Jeff after he left Mike's employ. He was a SJ resident, married con Tico ninos.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:37 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

q21
I was patient of 90210 between 2010-2017. After Jeff left I was told he went back to the states for a job.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:11 pm 

I've been going to the dental team for over 10 years and have nothing but good things to say. Had crowns put on all of my teeth. Had to get a couple of implants and two sinus lifts. Dr. Yelda did a lot of the crowns and I am sure she was well aware of those pillows against the back and the side of my head :-). Dr. Bricenio did the oral surgery and the implants. Great job. I was just in there in June for a cleaning and he is still there doing the oral surgery. Yelda has left I believe to start her own practice. I visit Dr Jessica Mora there now for any needed work.

They have a 10 year warranty on their work and i can attest that they DO honor it as I have had a couple of crowns that I broke, replaced at no charge.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:22 pm 

Orin Scrivello is the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:37 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I know Jeff landed on his feet, too cool. Glad Mauricio is still there, very good work and very generous with the Novocaine, and wasn't an extra charge each jab. I say that because I noticed it was coming out of his personal box of tools, and not off the shelf or wherever from Mike. Maybe that was their deal, BYO.

I found Yelda's current, she's out near 90210 with another popular long timer who left, Pilar, and the Asian-Tico, Wong? I can retrieve the website to their shop, PM me.

I saw Yelda a year ago in SJ by coincidence with her H, cute as ever and such a good egg, 50? lbs heavier.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:50 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

quepos21 wrote:
I know Jeff landed on his feet, too cool. Glad Mauricio is still there, very good work and very generous with the Novocaine, and wasn't an extra charge each jab. I say that because I noticed it was coming out of his personal box of tools, and not off the shelf or wherever from Mike. Maybe that was their deal, BYO.

I found Yelda's current, she's out near 90210 with another popular long timer who left, Pilar, and the Asian-Tico, Wong? I can retrieve the website to their shop, PM me.

I saw Yelda a year ago in SJ by coincidence with her H, cute as ever and such a good egg, 50? lbs heavier.

Ive been using Dr Pilar and Dr Wong for a few years now after they went off on their own from 90201... Dr Yelda is there also there...
their facility is modern and clean.. prices are right too
https://www.topdentalcarecr.com/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:23 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Great link. Need Dental? take note.

I am very familiar with all three of the DDS you cite, many many visits at 90210 with them for alot of work over a few years, and still good 10-15 later. I notice Yelda is not on their site, maybe she's a late add. But a big thumbs up for her and this crew of really cool professional, talented people.

I think being Mike caught up with Mike at 90210. The only advisory I'd give to the posted link's physical location is it is in the same general location as Mike's 90210 or Smile Clinic or whatever his nombre/soup de jour is. Both approx only 4 miles from Centro, but those 4 miles in SJ rush hour can take a loooooooooooooooong time to get back to the gulch when you're feeling like you just got run over by a truck, especially if its raining.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:49 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

To Mike's Smile Clinic?--90210 still works for Internet search--is his factory upstairs. Manufactures crowns and dentures and caps and implants for dentists locally and int'l. He showed me, wearing a gown and slippers and hat and masks, as were all the 15 or so employees there.

The advantage to a patient is for all except implants which need time for tissue to heal, but if you want crowns or caps or bridges etc, he can have them ready in 3 days, so you can get your dental finished on 1 trip.

Not sure if the other clinics can do that, my guess is they are probably buying that stuff from Mike, which of course means a delay and a mark up in final cost to you.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:15 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I have then Dental Team quote for an implant. It was $1720, that seems high. Plus the dentist there Natalie recommended I get all my front teeth replaced with root canals and crowns for $950 each. All this seems high so I'm going to get a second opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:02 am 

Its been a while since I had my crowns and implants by the Dental Team (formerly 90210). I visited a few dentists before my work started and the Dental team wasnt the cheapest but I felt the most comfortable with the setup and the dentists. I also was impressed with the onsite lab and that helps with the overall treatment time.

I ended up having two sinus lifts, 3 implants and all of my teeth crowned. I was very pleased with the work and everything is still good ten years later.

Also when you do the comparison make sure you check out the warranty. Dental Team offers a 10 year warranty on crowns and I can attest they do honor it as I had to get five or so replaced over the last 10 years as I am very hard on my teeth. And it gives you an excuse to travel to San Jose :-)
If you want to feel a little better about the quote, call a dentist in the states. Root canals are outrageous and crowns are very expensive with little or no warranty. You might need a second mortgage for a couple of implants with crowns.

There are a few other dentists that have been reviewed positively on the forum. You should check them out.

Good luck with you dental work.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:14 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Sonria dental took amazing care of me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:55 am 

Went to the Dental Team last September to get a mouth guard and a check up and was pleasantly surprised that Dr Yelda is back. I didn't recognize her at first as the whole staff was masked up but she reminded me that she did my first crowns years ago.