www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:54 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m28adO_BWzA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:27 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Monday May 31 2021 i went to the sportsmens lodge to have dinner. I told the young security guard that i would like to eat dinner there but i wasnt going to wear a mask when i was eating as they required at sportmen but at no other restaurants. He said he would check with the manager. He came back and he said the manager said it was ok. I entered and ate dinner. The waitress was ok with my not wearing the mask during dinner so i know the security guard had talked with someone. After dinner i left without consequence.

The next night on tuesday june 1 2021 i returned to have dinner with a friend at the sportsmen. Victor another security guard that has been there for years was policing tables for mask compliance. When he got to my table he told me i needed to put my mask on around my chin. I told him i wasnt going to do that because the manager said i didnt have to. I asked him whose rule that was and he said the police. I knew that was a big lie but they all say that there including the servers. I told him no other restaurants require that and that it had to be the policy of the owner. I said the owner can make what ever rules he wants because it is his property and likewise i can eat elsewhere if i dont agree but in this case the manager said i dont have to wear a mask and im not going to wear it.

Victor the security guard walked over beside the front desk behind a glass door and in a few moments walked back to my table with a little guy in glasses. I did not know who he was and had never seen him. He did not introduce himself or talk to me. Instead he shouted loudly at me: YOU ARE AN A......E... GET THE F....K OUT OF HERE. I found out later that this was little Man Fred the manager. He called the young security guy at the door to come in and physically throw me out. He was the same one i spoke with the previous night and he did not physically remove me because he remembered me and was apologetic and told me i was welcome back anytime.
They made me pay for the pina colada drink my friend had and i was just drinking a glass of water. I do not drink smoke or use drugs and never raised my voice a single time. I was not believing the names this little Man Fred was calling me. Nothing like this has ever happen in my 66 years on earth. I have always gone out of my way to avoid conflict. I was born and raised on a dairy farm in the Carolinas and have never been considered arrogant.
I dont know bill alexander the owner but what little i have heard about him was good. That is why I have reached out to him for several days now with no response.
Like i said the sportsmens is his property and he has every right to set the rules as he likes. I dont have to patronize if i dont agree. I have spent a lot of money staying there in years past.
This is all about being told indirectly by the manager i didnt have to wear the mask and then was agressively shouted at and insulted in every way possible by the same manager. There were several witnesses that will verify what i am saying as the truth. I hope there is some video of this too.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:04 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

You are not going to get much sympathy taking on Manfred. I have not met a nicer guy in my 15+ years of going to the Sportsmans.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:15 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Sucks you had this experience a business is only as good as their customers. Mask or no mask certainly sounds like he handled it poorly all while you keep your poise ..

Thank you for sharing your experience

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:08 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

There are always two sides to the story when you hear something like this...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:14 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

1st and only post by OP. Probably more to the Story than is posted!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:00 pm 

pet·ty
/ˈpedē/
adjective
of little importance; trivial.

I mean, jeez, I loath masks as much as anybody who loaths masks, it is odd they ask to keep the mask on under the chin when nobody else in the universe asks this, but I complied when I ate lunch there and it wasn't exactly the worst situation, I was able to breath and eat, maybe it pulled my ears a bit, but somehow I survived the ordeal and lived through it... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:05 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

It sounds like they simply don't want to get in trouble if there's a surprise police visit to check compliance. Could be a large fine for that.
The police might want to see some ridiculous preparation for a diner to pull up the mask if it's ever needed and want to see it on the chin at least. Like there's a flying covid-ghoul creature that could fly right up to you and you can just pull the mask up quickly.
They might be that ridiculous, and want clubs to adhere to chin-wearing while eating.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:12 pm 

The Sportsmens has been one of the only bar / restaurants in the gulch area to make a good effort to completely implement the Costa Rica Covid requirements, specifically wearing a mask indoors and the 25% capacity limit.

Myself, I hate wearing a mask, especially since I've been fully vaccinated but if wearing one will help keep a business open then I'll do it without hesitation.

And I have been coming to the Sportsmens for over 15 years. I don't know how long Manfred has been the manager but it has been quite some time. And in all of that time I can't remember ever hearing Manfred ever raise his voice let alone act like the previous poster stated. Maybe we are missing some info here.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:52 am 

Last time I was there someone also told me to put the mask on my chin, but I saw many with no mask.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:03 am 

Whitecat wrote:
Last time I was there someone also told me to put the mask on my chin, but I saw many with no mask.

Perhaps a gentle nudge to locals and beer nurses to move along and clear tables? That would be somewhat predictable during times of occupancy restrictions. I also sensed a bum's rush last November even though I had bought a meal and several drinks, haven't been back since. I still recommend the SL, I just don't go there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:32 am 

incredible. the last time i got thrown out of a bar they forgot to have us pay our $200 tab.

god bless america!

This post is provided purely for entertainment purposes and free of charge on the part of the author. No advice, tourist or travel promotion is expressed or implied. The author of this post was not provided compensation (monetary or otherwise) for this potentially entertaining contribution

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:32 am 

Californiamann wrote:
incredible. the last time i got thrown out of a bar they forgot to have us pay our $200 tab.

god bless america!

What did you do? :shock:

Next time I run up a big tab I want to try it!!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:40 pm 

Netgems wrote:
Californiamann wrote:

god bless america!

What did you do? :shock:

Next time I run up a big tab I want to try it!!! :mrgreen:

May have had really bad breath.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:47 pm 

Jawanker -very clever!
Netgems- shite, it was 10years ago with my neigbor in his 60s at our local cantina in SF on a Friday afterwork....

We got drunk and my buddy was 86'd for offending a gal he was hitting on. We were drunk, they kicked us both out without asking us to pay....great stuff!

This post is provided purely for entertainment purposes and free of charge on the part of the author. No advice, tourist or travel promotion is expressed or implied. The author of this post was not provided compensation (monetary or otherwise) for this potentially entertaining contribution

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next