www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:51 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Planning to make my first trip since 2019 before covid started. I have reservations to stay at SL in San Jose for the first week or so of the trip at the end of June/start of July and a condo in Jaco for the larger part of July.

I'm an old hand at this, being a seasoned international traveler and having made many trips to Costa Rica in the past. This time, I have to admit that I am not as excited as usual, yet cautiously optimistic. I have limited expectations of the trip given covid restrictions and ramifications, loss of HDR, closed clubs, increased street crime, questionable talent, and high prices that I've been reading about, but I'm basically bored to death and have no better place to go at the moment. My other favorite places appear to be just as bad or even worse. Hopefully by the time I get there, I will be pleasantly surprised to find it much better than what has been reported. At least in Costa Rica, there are still plenty of things to see and do outdoors that should not be heavily impacted. Perhaps the low number of tourists will provide good opportunities for those who are there. This also gives me the opportunity to vote with my dollars to support a lovely country with lovely people who have fallen on hard times.

I don't know if there is any chance of a July 4 party at SL this year as in years past given the covid restrictions, but if there is, I'll likely stay long enough in San Jose at the beginning of the trip to be there for it. If there is no party, or if I'm not impressed with the talent, maybe I'll head to Jaco sooner. (Thus, I didn't put exact dates around this Roll Call.)

I plan to use Jaco as my base for the larger portion of the trip, and plan to explore the west coast from there, including Playa Herradura, Quepos, Manuel Antonio, and Dominical. I may explore other areas, too, if the road takes me that way.

Always up for having a beer and chatting with others from the forum, so if you're going to be in these areas when I am, hope to see you.

Rico

------------------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 2:33 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

RicoGuapo, I have a trip planned from June 30 thru July 11 we actually meet at the Cocal in Summer 2019 you were traveling with a lady friend, I visited early April plenty of fun still to be had in SJ

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:21 pm 

TF74 wrote:
RicoGuapo, I have a trip planned from June 30 thru July 11 we actually meet at the Cocal in Summer 2019 you were traveling with a lady friend, I visited early April plenty of fun still to be had in SJ

Hi. Yes, I remember you. Glad to hear that we may bump into each other again. Also good to hear that you had fun in April. That hopefully means that July will be even better.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:14 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Yes, crazy times, but you can still do it. Just exercise caution, and travel smart. The chicas and the beaches are still here.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:41 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Also there for a week at the beginning of July.
Staying at SL, but I have a friend who will be in Jaco at the same time and I will probably go see him for a night or two.
I am not new to CR, but I have only been to Jaco twice. While the nights were fun, the days were SO boring I just don't go anymore. I might take you up on a meetup. Maybe you can tell me what I don't understand about Jaco.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:18 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

I'll be down from 7/2-7/10. Staying at the Castillo and looking to go to Jaco for a couple of days at least. My first trip since 2012. Love to get some guidance on the ins and outs. I know a lot has changed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:03 am 

If you stay at least four days at the Castillo with the all inclusive, you can get a seriously discounted ride to Jaco. When I did it last April it was $70 for the round trip.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:17 am 

Techlife97 wrote:
I am not new to CR, but I have only been to Jaco twice. While the nights were fun, the days were SO boring I just don't go anymore. I might take you up on a meetup. Maybe you can tell me what I don't understand about Jaco.
Happy to meet up. I've stayed in Jaco before but never long enough to get bored. This time around, my weekdays in Jaco will be consumed with digital nomad work - have internet, will travel. My weekends will be spent exploring the rest of the west coast. My plan is to use Jaco as a base but explore other areas for future stays. And, of course, partake in the delights of Jaco while I am there.

(I'm also planning to test the viability of the SL as a digital nomad workplace as well while I am in San Jose.)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:27 am 

Harddrive43228 wrote:
If you stay at least four days at the Castillo with the all inclusive, you can get a seriously discounted ride to Jaco. When I did it last April it was $70 for the round trip.
Good to know. In my case, this time, I'm already booked at the SL and already have a ride scheduled with a friend to Jaco. Have never stayed at the Castillo but have visited and would not be opposed to trying it in the future. Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:44 am 

jay836595 wrote:
I'll be down from 7/2-7/10. Staying at the Castillo and looking to go to Jaco for a couple of days at least. My first trip since 2012. Love to get some guidance on the ins and outs. I know a lot has changed.
My current plan is to stay at the SL beginning 6/29 and head to Jaco on 7/5, but as always is subject to change. Doesn't look like there's going to be anything special for the 4th of July at the SL this year as in years past, so may head to Jaco sooner. But if you venture over to the SL or I venture over to the Castillo, happy to have a beer and chat about the ins and outs. (My last trip was pre-covid, in 2019.)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:11 am 

RicoGuapo wrote:
(I'm also planning to test the viability of the SL as a digital nomad workplace as well while I am in San Jose.)

You nay already be aware of this, but check out Selina as a workplace near the SL. Also locations in Quepis, Jaco, Tamarindo, and several others. They have day or week rates and help separate work time from play time.
https://www.selina.com/costa-rica

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:19 pm 

Boynton wrote:
You nay already be aware of this, but check out Selina as a workplace near the SL.
Thanks. I'll check it out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:34 am 

One week from right now I am supposed to be touching down in San Jose, assuming American doesn't cancel my flight! I see that the past several days, American has been cancelling flights right-and-left because they have a shortage of trained pilots. They laid-off their pilots during covid and now are having a hard time getting them back. Their 737 fleet is hit the hardest, and naturally, I am supposed to fly into SJO on an American 737. Just something else to add to the drama... what's next?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:46 pm 

RicoGuapo wrote:
One week from right now I am supposed to be touching down in San Jose, assuming American doesn't cancel my flight! I see that the past several days, American has been cancelling flights right-and-left because they have a shortage of trained pilots. They laid-off their pilots during covid and now are having a hard time getting them back. Their 737 fleet is hit the hardest, and naturally, I am supposed to fly into SJO on an American 737. Just something else to add to the drama... what's next?

Perhaps Ametican will start letting the stewies fly the planes :oops: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:53 am 

Made it to San Jose and writing this from the hallowed halls of the SL now. All the flight plans ran smoothly and immigration was a breeze, other than the fact that there were a large number of tourists arriving at the same time that I did yesterday. The immigration staff were very efficient in their processing - they just had to deal with a bunch of planes arriving at the same time. Pops met me at the airport and the rest is history that will be the subject of a future trip report. Pura vida!