www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Travel Insurance
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:42 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Got my QR code yesterday with Trawick and it was pretty easy overall. For the provider there is four choices that doesn’t include Trawick, so use “international”. You will have to upload your insurance docs so it’s easier to do on a laptop, but can be done on a phone if you have the insurance docs saved in your files.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:14 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Zero Trip Cost:

So it appears that one can list their trip cost as zero (whether it is or not) when purchasing insurance and effectively eliminate a bunch of supplemental insurances that are based on the trip cost. Am I correct? Is there any reason not to list your trip cost as zero if you don't want the insurances that are based on trip cost and/or just want to reduce overall insurance cost?

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:55 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Read the first page halfway down

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:46 am 

Jfoot wrote:
Read the first page halfway down

Yes, it is stated halfway down the page that you CAN set the cost to zero, but the question is, assuming you don't want the additional coverages and their associated costs, is there any OTHER reason to not set it to zero? Just want to make sure this doesn't somehow invalidate the insurance or make it unacceptable to the CR government.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:47 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Costa Rica could care less whether you get reimbursed for travel costs. If you are using the Trawick site, experiment getting quotes using Travel costs between $0 and $1000. On my last trip in March / April the quote for $500 was the same price as $0. I just got a quote to go to the Dominican Republic next week and the quote for a $1000 trip cost was the same as a $0 cost.

If the premium is the same you might as well throw in some trip cost. With all of the late / cancelled flights it could come in handy.

Have a great trip.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:45 am 

Harddrive43228 wrote:
Costa Rica could care less whether you get reimbursed for travel costs. If you are using the Trawick site, experiment getting quotes using Travel costs between $0 and $1000. On my last trip in March / April the quote for $500 was the same price as $0. I just got a quote to go to the Dominican Republic next week and the quote for a $1000 trip cost was the same as a $0 cost.

If the premium is the same you might as well throw in some trip cost. With all of the late / cancelled flights it could come in handy.

Have a great trip.

Excellent info. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:47 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

4Reel wrote:
4Reel wrote:
I researched the web and Found Tin Leg to be the lowest cost insurer For CR for the 50,000 med / 2000 extended stay. They gave me an April Special of $55 for my trip May 6 for 11 days.
Ph 844 240 1233

I tried trawick and they were $10 more expensive.

Tin Leg sent me a note that : Not covered per CR requirements
so went to Trawick

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:35 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I can not get trawick , INS , or SAgicor insurance for trip tommorrow HELP

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:40 pm 

tom407 wrote:

FYI - I spoke with tom407 and he eventually got covered via trawick but the process wasn't smooth. He also was never able to book with Sagicor, they would only offer policies two days out, not the next day.

Just a heads up, you can't get your Health Pass more than two days before travel, because you have to attest that you do not have symptoms. However, you can and should get your insurance taken care of well before then. With processes and chicas YMMV.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:36 pm 

Boynton wrote:
tom407 wrote:

FYI - I spoke with tom407 and he eventually got covered via trawick but the process wasn't smooth. He also was never able to book with Sagicor, they would only offer policies two days out, not the next day.

Just a heads up, you can't get your Health Pass more than two days before travel, because you have to attest that you do not have symptoms. However, you can and should get your insurance taken care of well before then. With processes and chicas YMMV.

And what ever happened to the new negative test requirement prior to entering that the CR government said might happen. It seems that never got off the ground.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:01 pm 

Jawanker wrote:
And what ever happened to the new negative test requirement prior to entering that the CR government said might happen. It seems that never got off the ground.

Shhhhhhhh, be vewy vewy quiet.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:26 pm 

Boynton wrote:
Jawanker wrote:

Shhhhhhhh, be vewy vewy quiet.

:D You are the most funny.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:51 am 

Following-up on info in this thread (thanks for the tip Harddrive43228.), I did some experimentation with Trawick quotes and found that for my situation (USA gringo, age, and length of stay), I could set my trip cost as high as $1500 and still get the same (lowest available) quote as a trip cost of $0. So it makes sense (at least for my situation) to set the trip cost to $1500 rather than zero to maintain the benefits of those parts of the insurance that are based on trip cost. (YMMV)

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:49 pm 

RicoGuapo wrote:
Following-up on info in this thread (thanks for the tip Harddrive43228.), I did some experimentation with Trawick quotes and found that for my situation (USA gringo, age, and length of stay), I could set my trip cost as high as $1500 and still get the same (lowest available) quote as a trip cost of $0. So it makes sense (at least for my situation) to set the trip cost to $1500 rather than zero to maintain the benefits of those parts of the insurance that are based on trip cost. (YMMV)

Glad it worked out for you. One thing I did notice is that the price for the Trawick (and probably all of the other ones too) has significantly increased. I did 11 days at the end of March early April and it was $43 with a $500 trip cost. I just got a quote for my 11 day trip in early June and it was $84 for the same $500 trip. I did find that I could go to $1000 without impacting the quote though $1500 increased it by almost 40%.

I don't know if it's due to the increased Covid rates in CR or they are just trying to capitalize on the short-term opportunity. Regardless, it still is inexpensive enough that it doesn't impact any travel decisions.

Have a great trip.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:58 pm 

Harddrive43228 wrote:
RicoGuapo wrote:

Glad it worked out for you. One thing I did notice is that the price for the Trawick (and probably all of the other ones too) has significantly increased. I did 11 days at the end of March early April and it was $43 with a $500 trip cost. I just got a quote for my 11 day trip in early June and it was $84 for the same $500 trip. I did find that I could go to $1000 without impacting the quote though $1500 increased it by almost 40%.

I don't know if it's due to the increased Covid rates in CR or they are just trying to capitalize on the short-term opportunity. Regardless, it still is inexpensive enough that it doesn't impact any travel decisions.

Have a great trip.

Lots of people are reporting price increases when booking directly through Trawick. There are also reports of people using INSBUY and getting cheaper rates. When the documents come through, the paperwork even identifies Trawick as the carrier.

I have no personal experience with this, just reporting what I have read in the Expatriates in Costa Rica FB group, so I cannot offer a patented "Netgems ironclad guarantee".

I will say, that the situation is fluid (hotel policies, airline rates & availability, insurance, etc). Lock down whatever you can at least a week before travel, that's my advice, take it or leave it.