www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Short Taxi Rides
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:27 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

So back in the early 2000s, people were telling me to take a taxi from Hotel Presidente (which was friendly at the time) to Del Rey for safety reasons. I always filed this under the “dude, you’ve got to be kidding” category. Even between the Del Rey and the Sportsman, I’ve never taken a cab unless I had company as it’s a literal walk through the park... Just curious if I’m in the minority with this thinking? No judgment either way.

Post subject: Re: Short Taxi Rides
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:00 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

WW69 wrote:
So back in the early 2000s, people were telling me to take a taxi from Hotel Presidente (which was friendly at the time) to Del Rey for safety reasons. I always filed this under the “dude, you’ve got to be kidding” category. Even between the Del Rey and the Sportsman, I’ve never taken a cab unless I had company as it’s a literal walk through the park... Just curious if I’m in the minority with this thinking? No judgment either way.

Yep...for sure

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:03 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I suppose I knew that. Perhaps a better way to phrase it is, do you (whomever may be reading this) feel comfortable walking between the well known hotels and bars? (Assuming you’re not with a companion of course.) I’m curious if the comfort level amongst the community has evolved through the years?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:52 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Before the pandemic...I did. I sometimes still walk from the SL to Taormina between 7:30 pm and 8:30 pm...anywhere else I take a taxi or better yet...if it’s not 11pm..I take Uber which is dirt cheap IMO. I also never really carry more than $20000-$30000 colones on me, one credit card and I don’t wear any kind of expensive watches, chains, etc. You never know, especially since so many people got financially hurt by the pandemic, they are more desperate for money.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:13 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

bfpsu12 wrote:
Before the pandemic...I did. I sometimes still walk from the SL to Taormina between 7:30 pm and 8:30 pm...anywhere else I take a taxi or better yet...if it’s not 11pm..I take Uber which is dirt cheap IMO. I also never really carry more than $20000-$30000 colones on me, one credit card and I don’t wear any kind of expensive watches, chains, etc. You never know, especially since so many people got financially hurt by the pandemic, they are more desperate for money.

That’s a good point! It might be more dangerous now that more people are desperate. You’re definitely smart not to carry anymore cash than you’re willing to lose. Normally when I’m walking around anyplace in the world with a high crime rate, I’ll keep a few bucks in a cheap wallet and stash some more money elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:49 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

I'm a walker and in the past I walked all the areas you mentioned even later in the night but definitely with my head on a swivel and with a good pace and not stumbling. If I grabbed a date, would cab from DR to HC, SL or LA.
I only carried enough cash for a few beers and never a credit card.
Daytime I would walk to Monica's, Ídem, Relax etc and never sensed any danger.

1 morning I was up at dawn and walked south and ended up towards Pantera Rosa right at daybreak and saw the locals still hanging out on the corner by the club, selling and using Coca-Cola. There were a few streetwalkers that were looking rough. I high tailed it out of the area as it got sketchy really quick.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:55 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Jfoot wrote:
I'm a walker and in the past I walked all the areas you mentioned even later in the night but definitely with my head on a swivel and with a good pace and not stumbling. If I grabbed a date, would cab from DR to HC, SL or LA.
I only carried enough cash for a few beers and never a credit card.
Daytime I would walk to Monica's, Ídem, Relax etc and never sensed any danger.

1 morning I was up at dawn and walked south and ended up towards Pantera Rosa right at daybreak and saw the locals still hanging out on the corner by the club, selling and using Coca-Cola. There were a few streetwalkers that were looking rough. I high tailed it out of the area as it got sketchy really quick.

I’m the same way. I hate taking a taxi unless I have to... Great points here in that you have to be observant and trust your instincts. Obviously this is not recommended for anyone who does not feel they could handle a dangerous situation if one emerged.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:10 pm 

WW69 wrote:
I suppose I knew that. Perhaps a better way to phrase it is, do you (whomever may be reading this) feel comfortable walking between the well known hotels and bars? (Assuming you’re not with a companion of course.) I’m curious if the comfort level amongst the community has evolved through the years?

I'm comfortable walking.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:59 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Zeos wrote:
WW69 wrote:

I'm comfortable walking.

I hear ya! Anywhere I travel in the world, I try to walk as much as possible. It’s how you find the cool stuff!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:36 pm 

WW69 wrote:
Jfoot wrote:

I’m the same way. I hate taking a taxi unless I have to... Great points here in that you have to be observant and trust your instincts. Obviously this is not recommended for anyone who does not feel they could handle a dangerous situation if one emerged.

Well a couple of tough guys like yourselves I'm sure would never have a problem. I mean you keep that head on a swivel and it'll save you. I like to minimize my time on the street.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:47 pm 

The more trips the more comfortable I felt. My boundaries extended. But I would not walk thru the park at night.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:29 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Pre-pandemic, I would walk just about anywhere by myself during the day, but not at night, and not farther west than HLH. With a friend or group, we felt safe to walk anywhere, even at night.

Now, with all the criminals even more desperate, I doubt I will be walking anywhere alone, and will be selective where I will walk with my wing man. I just don't think it's worth the risk to save $2-3.

I'm also for real, putting together a realistic looking dummy wallet, and might even carry a decoy phone to have any would-be thieves. Call me a pu*sy, but I've been reading there is a lot of increase in petty crime. Even just walking from Sportsmans to HLH, or Central Ave, you put yourself in a lot of positions to be robbed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:09 pm 

BhueyXXXVII wrote:
Pre-pandemic, I would walk just about anywhere by myself during the day, but not at night, and not farther west than HLH. With a friend or group, we felt safe to walk anywhere, even at night.

Now, with all the criminals even more desperate, I doubt I will be walking anywhere alone, and will be selective where I will walk with my wing man. I just don't think it's worth the risk to save $2-3.

I'm also for real, putting together a realistic looking dummy wallet, and might even carry a decoy phone to have any would-be thieves. Call me a pu*sy, but I've been reading there is a lot of increase in petty crime. Even just walking from Sportsmans to HLH, or Central Ave, you put yourself in a lot of positions to be robbed.

Yep, different world now

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 11:41 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Never really had an issue walking especially around that area. There are times when I meet a girl we pass through the beach to get back to my room. Other times whether alone or with friends, walking provided an opportunity to find cool businesses, food stops or just something to do.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 11:47 am 

NC-17 wrote:
Never really had an issue walking especially around that area. There are times when I meet a girl we pass through the beach to get back to my room. Other times whether alone or with friends, walking provided an opportunity to find cool businesses, food stops or just something to do.

Beach?