www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: T Mobile Phone service
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:53 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I understand that T Mobile has free roaming in CR and I can call any number from USA or other surrounding countries and also with a $10 charge I can call within CR to any number. Anybody have this experience using T Mobil ? In the past I always bought a Globe sim card.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:12 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

4Reel wrote:
I understand that T Mobile has free roaming in CR and I can call any number from USA or other surrounding countries and also with a $10 charge I can call within CR to any number. Anybody have this experience using T Mobil ? In the past I always bought a Globe sim card.

The free roaming is only data and text, and you'll want to pay to upgrade the data speeds. Calls are only included for Mexico and Canada. Any calls you make on a roaming network will have a .25/minute charge. You'll want to make calls while on wifi, or use whatsapp. For data it's worth getting the International Pass.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:49 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I have been using T Mobile in CR for years. Never any problems. I answer calls from clients and participate in conference calls all the time with no one knowing I am not in the US.

Personally I don’t bother with the data upgrade. All the hotels/bars/restaurants I frequent have wifi. If you anticipate using data outside of these establishments then pay for faster data. The free data is 2G which is glacially slow.

My only occasional use outside is Google Maps. 2G will never get a map loaded. This is easily solved by downloading maps to use offline. Of course, don’t walk around downtown looking like a lost tourist staring at your expansive cell phone.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:03 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I have sprint which is now T-mobile and when you land in Coast Rica you will get an text message with International rates for call and Data

as mentioned by Bulldog and Ron the upgraded Data plan is around $25 for 7 days and I usually only buy this $25 plan if I am adventuring outside the San Jose area on my itinerary in which my next trip involves a drive to Manuel Antonio and I will for sure be purchasing it.

If you plan in San Jose and mainly at a hotel then I would not personally upgrade the data plan

Castillo has free WIFI and also allows free calls to USA from your room

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:17 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I have both a Verizon phone as well as a T-Mobile phone (both Iphones). The T-Mobile is a newer account I recently established. I plan to mainly use the newer T-Mobile phone when I'm there in 2 weeks. I'll also be spending a little over half of my 2 1/2 week stay outside of San Jose (Puerto Viejo area and Orosi Valley). What would you suggest on the T-Mobile line as far as data plans? Thx.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:18 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

bulldog10 wrote:
I have been using T Mobile in CR for years. Never any problems. I answer calls from clients and participate in conference calls all the time with no one knowing I am not in the US.

Personally I don’t bother with the data upgrade. All the hotels/bars/restaurants I frequent have wifi. If you anticipate using data outside of these establishments then pay for faster data. The free data is 2G which is glacially slow.

My only occasional use outside is Google Maps. 2G will never get a map loaded. This is easily solved by downloading maps to use offline. Of course, don’t walk around downtown looking like a lost tourist staring at your expansive cell phone.

If you like paying for 2G service (hey 1991 is calling and they want their cell phone service back) then by all means buy one of those T-Mobile international passes.

T-Mobile Internet in Costa Rica is about as useful as hammered dog shit.

https://costaricaticas.com/choosing-a-c ... osta-rica/

If you actually want your cell phone to work at 3G or higher data rates, then get Google Fi.

It's nice to have a US phone line that works great no matter where in the world you go (and for no extra fee).

It's also nice to just always have great bandwidth in Costa Rica, and Uber from the word go at the Airport.

However, if you have an Apple phone, then please disregard this message, and get a Kolbi chip when you arrive. Google Fi service doesn't work well on Apple phones. But, it works great on Android phones. You can also buy a Motorola Android phone from Google, which works on Fi for $50.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:01 am 

Ulysses wrote:
bulldog10 wrote:

If you like paying for 2G service (hey 1991 is calling and they want their cell phone service back) then by all means buy one of those T-Mobile international passes.

T-Mobile Internet in Costa Rica is about as useful as hammered dog shit.

https://costaricaticas.com/choosing-a-c ... osta-rica/

If you actually want your cell phone to work at 3G or higher data rates, then get Google Fi.

It's nice to have a US phone line that works great no matter where in the world you go (and for no extra fee).

It's also nice to just always have great bandwidth in Costa Rica, and Uber from the word go at the Airport.

However, if you have an Apple phone, then please disregard this message, and get a Kolbi chip when you arrive. Google Fi service doesn't work well on Apple phones. But, it works great on Android phones. You can also buy a Motorola Android phone from Google, which works on Fi for $50.

The international pass is 4G LTE not 2G. The basic international data is 2G on the Magenta plan and 3G on Magenta Plus.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:25 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

T-Mobile in Costa Rica is NOT 4G LTE, even if you pay the extra $5/day for the pass. caveat emptor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:09 am 

Ulysses wrote:
T-Mobile in Costa Rica is NOT 4G LTE, even if you pay the extra $5/day for the pass. caveat emptor

I did speed tests my during my trip in December, it's certainly better than 3G.