www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:10 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

I know many on here use Whatsapp as a communications tool as do many chicas. Looks like all Whatsapp users are going to be force to turn over your data to the parent company Facebook. Looks as if they won't be able to see your actual messages but will know what numbers you are messaging and how often you are messaging them.
You have about a month to decide if you want to use the service under the new rules that take effect on Feb. 8. The rule applies whether or not you have a Facebook account. It is very likely many of us have not used Whatsapp for a long time due to the reduced travel during this time.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... ebook.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:21 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Flabuck wrote:
I know many on here use Whatsapp as a communications tool as do many chicas. Looks like all Whatsapp users are going to be force to turn over your data to the parent company Facebook. Looks as if they won't be able to see your actual messages but will know what numbers you are messaging and how often you are messaging them.
You have about a month to decide if you want to use the service under the new rules that take effect on Feb. 8. The rule applies whether or not you have a Facebook account. It is very likely many of us have not used Whatsapp for a long time due to the reduced travel during this time.

I'm moving to Telegram and Signal.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:30 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Flabuck wrote:

That is why I moved most my conversations to Telegram some time ago. I have also noticed an uptick in chicas moving to it. Unfortunately since Amazon shut down the "P" site last week, Telegram has been getting more users from there also.

For tin hat wearers among us (and I count myself in that crowd) bear in mind that Tinder, Badoo, and other dating sites retain the conversations and all meta data (time, date, ipaddress, phone number, geographic location) of all conversations even after you "unmatch". Since these are NOT messaging platforms, there is no legal presumption of privacy. Courts and hackers can get information. It can be cross referenced with server logs to pinpoint where you had a conversation (your home or office WiFi) even if you were using a burner phone. Don't be the next Jeffrey Toobin.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:49 pm 

Location: Sex Felony State (most other places p4p is just another day!)
Does this Telegram use regular cell phone numbers that I have collected from the chicas? I have a few current ones I am going to try this next trip.

Ty,
Davis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:03 pm 

Puro Party wrote:
Does this Telegram use regular cell phone numbers that I have collected from the chicas? I have a few current ones I am going to try this next trip.

Ty,
Davis

When a chica installs Telegram they choose either their telephone number or a user name. If they use their number it is pretty seamless. If they don't enter their number it gets confusing.

When YOU install Telegram it can scan contact list and automagically add any one who has Telegram account. Also if someone in your contact list later installs telegram you will get a notification. Telegram is based in Germany and was developed by two Russian brothers.

BTW, Telegram just sent out a message that they just passed 500 million users with 25 million joining in the past 72 hours. I guess spanishdv8's posts reached a bunch of people. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:39 am 

Telegram is truly the best. Nothing is kept and encrypted private texts no one tracks is what they claim (at least for now). As always the government will buy access through Facebook or Google at some point. Just keep an eye on ownership. Stay away from signal. Run the ownership up the ranks and you'll see who is the umbrella company.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:17 am 

Flabuck wrote:

And why is this a big deal? Especially if you use fake accounts for mongering.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:49 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I use Telegram daily here in USA and only use the Secret Chat which is End to End Encrypted the regular chat is not keep that in mind and Orange Whatsapp will be collecting info such as:

mobile network, connection information (including phone number, mobile operator or ISP),
your phone’s battery level and signal strength,
app version,
browser information,
language and time zone,
your IP address,
device operations information, and identifiers (including identifiers unique to Facebook Company Products associated with the same device or account).

So Orange if your using a burner pre pay phone keep that Wifi off and only use cellular data

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:07 pm 

TF74 wrote:
I use Telegram daily here in USA and only use the Secret Chat which is End to End Encrypted the regular chat is not keep that in mind and Orange Whatsapp will be collecting info such as:

mobile network, connection information (including phone number, mobile operator or ISP),
your phone’s battery level and signal strength,
app version,
browser information,
language and time zone,
your IP address,
device operations information, and identifiers (including identifiers unique to Facebook Company Products associated with the same device or account).

So Orange if your using a burner pre pay phone keep that Wifi off and only use cellular data

And if you bought that SIM in CR, you probably gave your passport number to activate it. So while the metadata from any single source might seem innocuous, correlate a few different ones and a more complete picture emerges.

Of course, remember that p4p between consenting adults is not illegal in CR. While a $59 visit to an AMP in Palm Beach County, Florida is. Hey, is that the real reason it is called PALM Beach?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:36 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I think many people have already turned over their Whatsapp data to the cloud. The app repeatedly asks you to authorize backup, and once you do that all the data goes into the Google Cloud. Just like gmail, google is searching and monetizing that data for advertising purposes.

So, it doesn't matter if the conversation was encrypted, if you authorize the app to store or backup the data, then they have access to the content.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:05 pm 

Ulysses wrote:
I think many people have already turned over their Whatsapp data to the cloud. The app repeatedly asks you to authorize backup, and once you do that all the data goes into the Google Cloud. Just like gmail, google is searching and monetizing that data for advertising purposes.

So, it doesn't matter if the conversation was encrypted, if you authorize the app to store or backup the data, then they have access to the content.

This is true, however why anyone would choose to backup this data is beyond me.

Regardless, several of my contacts in CR have moved over to Telegram. I expect the next time I go and a chica says "you have whatsapp?", I'll be able to say, "no, Telegram", and it won't be an issue.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:44 pm 

Not sure if any Chicas use Signal, but it blows away Telegram as far as security goes. Telegram has had problems, especially if you have the "nearby users" feature turned on. It's basically a digital
gps stalker's dream app if the feature is on.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:11 pm 

I know that all of these apps may do a certain amount of tracking, etc. Facebook and Google products basically provide a database of everything you do...how long you look at a picture, anything you click on, basically have so much data on anyone that they can predict when you're going to sneeze.

You can, to an extent, control what they do with some of that data. But the bottom line is they have it, and can use it.

In comparison the changes that Whatsapp is making seem a bit trivial. I know, I know...slippery slope, etc. But Whatsapp providing an encrypted messaging service is under a lot of pressure, and as it is owned by FB there were bound to be changes. Is that a problem...., well, perhaps. But in the big scheme of things I will continue to use it as it is used worldwide and when everyone has it..makes it very useful

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:14 pm 

nosejelly wrote:
Not sure if any Chicas use Signal, but it blows away Telegram as far as security goes. Telegram has had problems, especially if you have the "nearby users" feature turned on. It's basically a digital
gps stalker's dream app if the feature is on.

I haven't seen any move to Signal. I know a few that have moved to Telegram. The Nearby Users feature is disabled by default, so it's the users fault if they turn it on. Don't turn it on and you're good.

Regardless I have both Signal and Telegram on my phone and I'm one person away from getting rid of WhatsApp.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:39 pm 

How many CR Chicas know about and/or care about Whatsapp's privacy changes? I'd be surprised if more than 10% stop using it.
Covid Tests and now 3 or more messaging apps needed to Monger!?? Life is Tough! :lol: High Class Problems, I guess.....