www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:48 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Sad to see rumors/reports of the Hotel Del Rey closing up shop to our hobby. I’m not as much of a veteran as some posters on here but I’ve been coming to Costa Rica pretty steadily since 2013, I loved being to able to make the rounds nightly in the gulch..pop in the Del Rey, maybe some happy hour at Zona 2, check out Scores (HLH) and of course the Sportsmen’s. I was bummed after a 18 month hiatus to see Zona 2 had closed (great/cheap happy hours, good looking girls) and not to be mean, but the few times I stopped in HLH last year, the girls weren’t that great IMO. So what do you guys see as the future of the gulch? Is it on it’s last legs or do you think for example, somewhere like Key Largo, will take up the slack of the Del Rey? At least having a Del Rey type place in addition to Sportsmen’s wouldn’t be so bad.
PS-I forgot about Hotel Taormina but I really can’t comment since I only stopped in once and it was kind of dead.

Last edited by bfpsu12 on Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:16 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Great question, I was daydreaming about that question so I am going to contribute my 2 Colones.

The HDR not allowing working girls is the end of a good run for the Gulch! I remember when Beatle Bar closed in Jaco and my friends and I were fearing doom and gloom....but than the Cocal shouldered all the action and I will be honest, I tell people there is no place on earth like the Cocal!

The Gulch is not Jaco....

SL, HLH, scores, all the MPs, something for everone in the Gulch... .... But the best thing about the Gulch was hitting the HDR every night - what a crazy fun place..... So much personality and so many different micro things going on every night.... ... Wow, I get goose bumps thinking about it.... (could be the wine I'm drinking too!)

The way our hobby is evolving in CR, I venture to guess that online apps like Skokka, Tinder, and all the other ones will fill the gap.... Honestly it's much easier for everyone..... Find a Chica you like, use Google Translator if you can't speak Spanish, set up a date, boom- it's done. Very efficient.

I think the many MPs are a great source of fun.....but if you read the many posts over the past year or two, some of the best finds are Chicas or Ticas outside the Gulch - it's a big country and so many Gringos only know the Gulch. Hell, I am/was as guilty as anyone.

But for the man with limited time, Heading straight for Jaco seems like the smart play versus hanging out in the Gulch for a couple days..... You have the Cocal and all the online opportunities so you get the best of both worlds.

In my humble opinion, nothing will replace the HDR in the Gulch.... And if you are still around in another decade, don't be surprised if the Cocal changes owners too. Nothing last forever!

"war torn and still over paying... " still chuckling over that Whitecat :mrgreen:

This post is provided purely for entertainment purposes and free of charge on the part of the author. No advice, tourist or travel promotion is expressed or implied. The author of this post was not provided compensation (monetary or otherwise) for this potentially entertaining contribution

Last edited by Californiamann on Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:34 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

So the Hotel Del Rey is closed?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:05 pm 

Oops, I fixed it... Good catch B. :lol:

This post is provided purely for entertainment purposes and free of charge on the part of the author. No advice, tourist or travel promotion is expressed or implied. The author of this post was not provided compensation (monetary or otherwise) for this potentially entertaining contribution

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:50 pm 

San Jose may become like Medellin, one hotel where there is talent available, the mps and the social media route. The one hotel in San Jose is much better managed and open to more people. You are just going to have to adapt to a new normal and learn how to fish without a net.
However, if the market is large enough and money can be made someone will fill the void.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:43 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I would agree with FLAbuck's comments based on what I'm seeing now. With HDR closed, Taormina has opened its bar to girls and girls are in that bar for sure, you can see the demand from workers clearly exists with barely any punters in town. The apps can be frustrating, nothing like the up close meet/greet as humankind has done for eons. The girls say that the prior HDR owner died and bequeathed the property to someone who may not be entirely rationale. I suspect the scene will simply scatter and benefit other enterprising property owners.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:47 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Boynton wrote:
So the Hotel Del Rey is closed?

Walked by last week. Locked up. Almost all the furniture, tables, chairs removed. Not opening anytime soon in any form.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:43 am 

[quote="bfpsu12"]Sad to see rumors/reports of the Hotel Del Rey closing up shop to our hobby. I’m not as much of a veteran as some posters on here but I’ve been coming to Costa Rica pretty steadily since 2013, I loved being to able to make the rounds nightly in the gulch..pop in the Del Rey, maybe some happy hour at Zona 2, check out Scores (HLH) and of course the Sportsmen’s. I was bummed after a 18 month hiatus to see Zona 2 had closed (great/cheap happy hours, good looking girls) and not to be mean, but the few times I stopped in HLH last year, the girls weren’t that great IMO. So what do you guys see as the future of the gulch? Is it on it’s last legs or do you think for example, somewhere like Key Largo, will take up the slack of the Del Rey? At least having a Del Rey type place in addition to Sportsmen’s wouldn’t be so bad.
PS-I forgot about Hotel Taormina but I really can’t comment since I only stopped in once and it was kind of dead.[/quo

I first went to the Del Rey on Labor Day in 2001 and then returned in Dec 2001 and man the place was packed with chicas by 7 pm and all seats were taken. It was great and all great things come to an end.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:52 pm 

Maybe Kamur will be brought back to life......

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:57 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Bond Trader
I hope your Kamar dreams come true.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:50 am 

BondTrader wrote:

Kamur brings back lovely memories.
Is the "double shot" the same as a "single shot" but with premium alcohol? :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:45 pm 

DildoMan wrote:
BondTrader wrote:

Kamur brings back lovely memories.
Is the "double shot" the same as a "single shot" but with premium alcohol? :D

Those really were the Best of Times.... :( :(

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:18 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Californiamann wrote:
Great question, I was daydreaming about that question so I am going to contribute my 2 Colones.

The HDR not allowing working girls is the end of a good run for the Gulch! I remember when Beatle Bar closed in Jaco and my friends and I were fearing doom and gloom....but than the Cocal shouldered all the action and I will be honest, I tell people there is no place on earth like the Cocal!

The Gulch is not Jaco....

SL, HLH, scores, all the MPs, something for everone in the Gulch... .... But the best thing about the Gulch was hitting the HDR every night - what a crazy fun place..... So much personality and so many different micro things going on every night.... ... Wow, I get goose bumps thinking about it.... (could be the wine I'm drinking too!)

The way our hobby is evolving in CR, I venture to guess that online apps like Skokka, Tinder, and all the other ones will fill the gap.... Honestly it's much easier for everyone..... Find a Chica you like, use Google Translator if you can't speak Spanish, set up a date, boom- it's done. Very efficient.

I think the many MPs are a great source of fun.....but if you read the many posts over the past year or two, some of the best finds are Chicas or Ticas outside the Gulch - it's a big country and so many Gringos only know the Gulch. Hell, I am/was as guilty as anyone.

But for the man with limited time, Heading straight for Jaco seems like the smart play versus hanging out in the Gulch for a couple days..... You have the Cocal and all the online opportunities so you get the best of both worlds.

In my humble opinion, nothing will replace the HDR in the Gulch.... And if you are still around in another decade, don't be surprised if the Cocal changes owners too. Nothing last forever!

"war torn and still over paying... " still chuckling over that Whitecat :mrgreen:

I tried the skokka route last night and a good number of girls wanted to meet at their place which made me a bit suspicious. This morning I got a msg from "el cartel" demanding money or else. I just blocked the account and moved on. But I googled it and read that is a common occurrence and some people pay up due to fear. Kinda ruined my skokka experience.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:10 pm 

fecha, welcome.

sorry you got a little drama..... :mrgreen:

it would be great if you could post skokka link, phone number , or ad to help your fellow CRT brothers...

cmann

Post subject: .....
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:13 pm 

Last edited by Californiamann on Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.