www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Jun 29, 2024 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:33 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

I know its in Oct. On or about Columbus day(12th). Any one been. I like Limon. I know some say they don't and don't feel to safe. I on the other hand do. I have stopped there on several occasions but never stayed in the town itself. Any suggestions for hotels? I really don't care to much for resorts but I'll deal with what ever. How long does the party last? A few days, a week? More? I researhed on the web but found very little. Just curious to see who on here may know. I'd like to stay for about 3-5 days. My trip in Oct. is limited to about 2 1/2 weeks but I am hitting Puerto Viejo and Dominical as well. A little of everything if I can! Any info is of great help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:15 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Shame on you DTA. You didn't use the search feature. In fact a quick search turned up this little gem from you from just last month:
DTA wrote:
Not exactly close to SJ....rather far. Puerto viejo on the southern caribbean is a great little place. Avoid Limon for it doesnt look as enticing.
There was a very extensive thread on this very subject since then that was started just a few weeks ago by none other than the renowned Nibu Raphael of WSG fame in a rare (in fact sadly a one-time :cry: ) guest appearance here at CRT http://www.costaricaticas.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=50243. For a CR specialty board there is unfortunately somewhat of a dearth of info on this particular town, which might have something to do with why he didn't come back. TMan said he was going there and would do some research but alas we never heard back from him either on this subject. Of course he's a busy guy and probably just forgot so we forgive him :D .

One word of advice if you do go there for the Carnival is to book your hotel very early as the town quickly fills up (with Tico tourists much more so than other gringos). In fact, I've heard that it can also be hard to even get a bus seat there for that week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:09 pm 

Sorry I was remiss in following up from the last thread on this area. I truly support anyone visiting this area if you are interested in a full version of life in Costa Rica. If you liked Jamaica, Bahamas, or other Caribbean Islands, the South Caribbean of Costa Rica and even extended to Las Bocas in Panama is what the Caribbean islands were 30-40 years ago. I predict there will be significant development in this area the next 3-5 yrs as the World Bank is ready to dump millions into that side of Costa Rica and I know of 2 developments on the planning boards already...including a golf course.

A couple websites that might help with info on that region...
http://www.costaricaway.net/
http://www.turtlerelax.com/ (Hotel north of Limon)
http://www.matama.com/ Is another hotel on the main road between Limon and Playa Hermosa which is about 2 miles north of downtown.

Of course you can also stay in Puerto Viejo...maybe Kayas Place which offers CRT discounts www.kayasplace.com ...and take a bus daily between the festival and home base. I'm sure the area will be pumping during that week...lots of parties and fun people. I plan to be there this year.

If enough guys are around from CRT, maybe we could put an overnight package together with van and hotel? Let me know if anyone is interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:30 pm 

I apologize for not doing the search. I have slapped myself several times. Good info you found. I hear a lot of neg. things about the area. I personaly love it. I have done the bus trip up from PV and caquita(sp?) and feel safe and relaxed. I have been to Jamaica and didnt care to much for it. I love the culture and atmosphere there yet didnt feel safe. Limon reminds me of it, yet I feel at home. My kinda lifestyle, music and food is awesome. Sounds like I just might have to be there this year. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:49 pm 

My best guess on the P4P scene in places like Limon is that it is lower budget stuff much more geared to the poor local ticos (and tramp freighter sailors) than it is to the gringo market.

We all know that sometimes hidden gems can sometimes be found in the strangest and most out of the way places, including the tico places in SJ. However, I seriously doubt the same search strategy could be applied to a small town normally non-tourist destination like Limon. Here's why.

First of all, I'm sure there are plenty of very attractive non-pro girls from places like Limon. Whether those non-pros can be "romanced" in just a short time frame compared to similar girls back in SJ, given the small town and conservative aspect of their community is another story. I'm sure most wouldn't want their family or neighbors wondering what they were up to with that old gringo. What about the better looking local girl that can be "romanced"? Because of her looks she is more likely to be able to command a better rate by moving to areas where there are more and higher paying customers like in SJ or even Jaco. She will also be more likely to keep her occupation hidden from her family further from home in the relative anonymity of SJ.

That leaves the low-budget ho's back in places like Limon. These girls are going to be in just the right price range for the sailors that frequent the port and at the rates they charge their customers are not likely to be very discerning. Its probably not coincidental that Limon has probably the highest per capita HIV rate in CR. All in all not a pretty picture for the would be monger in Limon.

With all that said allow me to say a few words on the other side. This situation MAY reverse somewhat at Carnival time with all the visitors coming to Limon. Girls may come out to take advantage of the festivities who would not normally be there. Limona(?) putas may return home from SJ to visit relatives and some of them may not pass on the opportunity to make a quick buck while they are there. Chicas may come in from SJ and other areas to take advantage of the higher numbers of visitors for that week of the year. And of course one can always bring the "entertainment" with you.

Finally, allow me to say something that might be heresy to some members, but I think TMan will back me up on this. Its not always all about P4P. One could also just go to Limon for the fun, festivities, culture and people and forget about P4P for a few days. It wouldn't be the worse thing to just focus on enjoying the country for all the rest it has to offer.

TMan, I have some questions for you. The turtlerelax place sounded really nice. They didn't show their rooms, but for less than $20/nt I don't expect the Ritz. It does sound very affordable though and they offer several reasonably very priced tours and activities (including the Guapote fishing). My question here is are they chica friendly if we bring a guest and how far out from Limon are they? Matama was very close to Limon, but their website was very incomplete. Do you know their rates? The costaricaway.net site did not really have a lot on the local area. I'll see if I can find a better site for everyone.

As for a possible CRT Carnival package, I think it would be a great idea and might just be interested, particularly if we can get a group van. My understanding is that Kaya's (Puerto Viejo) is about 1.5hrs away from Limon. Perhaps the "commute" might be a little quicker by private vehicle? Furthermore the bus only runs 4 times per day and normally gets very crowded (let alone at Carnival time). A group van would certainly be much more adaptable to our group's schedule. A group van would also be invaluable normally where we end up on the coast as I understand the bus from SJ gets very full at Carnival time and still leaves you with the problem of local transportation. Still, this doesn't exactly make Kayas or Puerto Viejo sound like a particularly good base for enjoying the Carnival in Limon. However, a package that spends a day or two in both locations may not be such a bad idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:47 pm 

I havent been to the Turtle Hotel either...but will check it out next trip...probably next week. Will bring back a report. The matamba grounds are nice, but I think they are more pricey. Will stop there also to check on it.

Driving time Limon to PV is only 40-45 mintues...at least the way I drive :roll: . So...staying at a place like Kayas as a group and commuting to the festival is very realistic by van. If we got 7=8 guys together in a van, I gotta think we could do van and hotel over night and 2 days for $80-90 per man. Maybe less...it;s still off season.

I also dont think P4P will be important during carnival. Those people can party...there are a lot of Delrey girls that go there for carnival...and its more challenging to get it for free anyways :twisted: .

We'll keep checking in on details...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:16 am 

Cool, I just got intouch with a girl(regular girl) in Limon. Shes going to gather a few details for me and let me know. I always spend time with her while in PV. I go north or bring her south. And as for gems in the area. I have seen plenty. I never have tried P4P there but I suppose anything is possible. Hell, this girl I would marry(i will slap myself). Shes perfect and 21 no k*ds. My date for Carnival is set! :twisted:
She happy I might be there in Limon for carnival and is getting me info. Her standards of a hotel may differ from mine but I'll check out and feedback what she says. The mix of culture is incredible there. I wanna see the party when people from all over come. PV isnt a far ride at all. I've taken the bus and didnt take to long. I just have never stayed the night(in a hotel) there! A van ride would be much more comfy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:21 am 

Word from Locals is that Carnival runs form the 12th through the 24th and is a nonstop party all over town.I just made a trip through there this week and will be posting a detailed report soon.It is much safer than San Jose in general and locals are very nice.Few gringos go there because of the bad rap the area gets and locals resent that so I would encourage everyone not to rule it out on your list of places to go.rbc100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:00 am 

Same word I just got from a local girl there I know. I consider safer than SJ in the first place. She says the party is al day and night and rather cheap to drink. Local arts and crafts are inexpensive as well....they have to make a buck to drink too! I am there from the 17-23 of Oct. Now...I just gotta figure out the bus schedule. Heds up on that to. I am told the buses fill quick to get out there (MEPE does anyway) so buy tickets in advance! Or throw in on a proivate ride to cut cost. See ya'll at the party!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:21 am 

Express Bus runs about every hour form San Jose form the Caribean Terminal.Hope to get my report posted tomorrow.Have some leads on some places in town.rbc100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:52 pm 

These comments largely reinforce what I said before (both here and in Nibu's thread). There are guys who will tell you it is unsafe to step outside your hotel in SJ. Security issues for Limon are undoubtedly overblown as well. I can't say how good P4P is in Limon during the rest of the year, but everything I've heard about the partying atmosphere during Carnival time makes it sound like a very promising destination.

What I'd like to add here is that from what I've heard those hourly express buses to Limon fill up early at Carnival time, so if you're planning on going I'd reserve the hotel early as well getting the bus reserved in advance as well (how far in advance I can't say).

The second thing I wanted to follow-up on is whether anything more has been done about organizing a CRT group van and/or hotel package for the event.