www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:34 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Me and my buddy are planning a Labor Day trip, and want to spend a little more time outside the gulch.

Last year we took the three part tour that included Poas Volcano, Doka coffee tour, and the waterfall gardens. Excellent tour, and we'll probably do something similar among other this year,

My question, however, actually lies in some of the signs I saw on the way up to the volcano about "trout fishing", that really peaked my interest.

Has anyone ever checked these out? I mean, does anyone know if it's actual fishing or what? We have these catfish farms around Houston where you can fish, but there's no actual challenge, and it's really boring. Also they charge by the pound, and get mad if you try to throw the fish back. If it's like that I wouldn't be interested. So, has anyone checked it out? I can't find any info.

Also, I love good strawberries. Are the strawberries the sell at so many stands in the mountains good?

Thank you

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:19 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

BhueyXXXVII wrote:
Me and my buddy are planning a Labor Day trip, and want to spend a little more time outside the gulch.

Last year we took the three part tour that included Poas Volcano, Doka coffee tour, and the waterfall gardens. Excellent tour, and we'll probably do something similar among other this year,

My question, however, actually lies in some of the signs I saw on the way up to the volcano about "trout fishing", that really peaked my interest.

Has anyone ever checked these out? I mean, does anyone know if it's actual fishing or what? We have these catfish farms around Houston where you can fish, but there's no actual challenge, and it's really boring. Also they charge by the pound, and get mad if you try to throw the fish back. If it's like that I wouldn't be interested. So, has anyone checked it out? I can't find any info.

Also, I love good strawberries. Are the strawberries the sell at so many stands in the mountains good?

Thank you

I did some trout fishing there 3 or 4 years ago. There is a pond close to the western most road that goes from Alajuela to the town below Poas. The pond is next to a restaurant and they have a deal where they will cook your catch for you. Fishing is done with a hand line but you can probably use a rod & real if you have one. These are pond raised trout and there is a feeding machine. There are some big trout in there and its no challange to catch them. I think we paid to fish for an hour and threw most of them back back. Kept a few and they cleaned them for us and the restaurant next door cooked them with some side orders. It was not cheap. I felt like we paid to catch the fish and paid for dinner as well. The best part was my girlfriends son caught his first fish with me. He was pretty excited. Strawberries are sold up the road towards the volcano entrance.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:46 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

In San Gerardo de Dota and Los Quetzales National Park there are wild trout streams. It is beautiful down that way and there are some nice lodges to stay at. Google it.