www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Costa Rica oxcarts
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:02 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I will be in cr 29 nov-11 dec for my 2nd trip. I am interested in buying and shipping back one or two oxcarts. I understand the oxcart factory is about an hour drive from the "gulch". I'm thinking of taking one of the half-day tours that include the oxcart factory in Sarchi. So, my question is,is this the best place to get them and the lowest prices? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:21 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

I've always bought my gifts (including oxcarts) at the gift store at the Don Carlos hotel. It has everything you'd ever want. Not sure whether the prices are good or not. And when you are tired of shopping NF is right across the street.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:28 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

The prices for crafts are fairly similar no matter where you go and if you go on a tour you aren't going to have the option to choose which store you stop at anyway (although many of the stores are close together). Also, although Saarchi Norte is nice enough Saarchi Sud, where the craft/souvenir stores are, is very touristy. If this is the only reason you are going on this tour, I'd advise you to check shops in San Jose first. But, if you would like to visit the quaint little villages west of San Jose, be sure your tour stops in Heredia, a university town with some really good eye candy, Grecia and Zarcero, where they have some very surrealistic topiary. You will certainly have a much wider selection of oxcart wheels in Saarchi, if not lower prices. Another option is to make Saarchi a stopover point on your way to Tabacon/Arenal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:59 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

If you want to buy souvenirs such as ox-carts, chairs and virtually anything else and not leave San Jose there is a mercado with about 10 - 12 shops in town. Unfortunately I cannot recall the number of the street however it is the same street that the Hotel Europa is on; however this mercado is much closer to the pedestrian street.

The souvenir shop at Don Carlos has everything but I have found it to be much more expensive than others. On one of my trips this summer I did some shopping and comparison priced; ended up actually saving money by taking a taxi up to Heredia where I was able to find a great selection and pricing for what I was looking for (wooden place mats with different pieces of wood interlaid).

Hope this helps.

Easy

Post subject: Question...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:39 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Don't you think you're putting the Oxcart before the chica?

;)

CK