www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help with itinerary
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:58 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Hi

I am looking for recommendations for a first trip, also keeping in mind i dont intend to hire a car and will be solo

Wed night: Arrived in San Jose

Thurs- Sat- stay in san jose check out HDL and other massage places, friday day trip to Irazu Volcano + Coffee plantation

Sat - rio pacuare white water rafting, i read companies can take you from SJ and drop at La Fortuna afterwards- any recommendations is this is a daily tour?

Sun-wed - la fortuna. Still unsure where to stay but has to be budget and where i can do group trips

Thurs-sun - tamarindo/playa hermose. looking to do Scuba diving/yoga/beach time. I cant decide if tamarindo or montezuma area is better?

Sun-Wed - take bus to carribean side

Thurs- morning flight from San Jose

The Carribean side has no scuba diving but i imagine weather may not be great in Tamarindo in 2 weeks? Should i just skip the carribean side and travel down to Nicoya Peninsula? Also most dive shops seems be in tamarindo/playa hermosa/playa coco- which is the best to stay?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Help with itinerary
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:25 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Tamarindo over Montezuma all day long!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:57 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

ambitious
the drive from playa hermosa to the carribean side is arduous without a doubt
probably talking 2 full days of driving
if you enjoy SJ I'd rethink that

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:18 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Itinerary way too busy for your first CR trip. Almost none of it will go as planned. CR doesn't work like the USA. Why not just relax and enjoy the Poon in San Jose and gather intel for future trips from the many Gringo Mongers you'll meet along the way???

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:44 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

nosejelly wrote:
Itinerary way too busy for your first CR trip. Almost none of it will go as planned. CR doesn't work like the USA. Why not just relax and enjoy the Poon in San Jose and gather intel for future trips from the many Gringo Mongers you'll meet along the way???

lol spending 2 weeks on SJ sounds awful! I have decided to drop the carribean side, so 4/5 days in SJ, 3 in Arenal then Tamarindo for the rest!

thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:33 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

costarica0121 wrote:
nosejelly wrote:

lol spending 2 weeks on SJ sounds awful! I have decided to drop the carribean side, so 4/5 days in SJ, 3 in Arenal then Tamarindo for the rest!

thanks

I suggest spending 2 or 3 days in SJ at the beginning of your trip as well as at the end. This will give you a chance to revisit what you learned on your way out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:38 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

costarica0121 wrote:
nosejelly wrote:

thanks

Better than your initial plan in my opinion...just more doable. The other might have been doable with a dedicated driver and van...but would have been extremely tiring...too much travel and uncertainty.

I personally might find a lot of time in Tamarindo a bit much...it's a tourist party town, and surfer hangout...although I don't think it is great for serious surfing. Lots of beaches up and down from there...that could be fun to go to a different one each day or something like that if that is your thing. I basically spent half a day in Tamarindo and that was too much for me. I went up a ways further north and stayed at a little hotel right on a beach...and got to know people there...had 3 or 4 days of peace and relaxation...conversation, great food, walking on the beach..it worked for me. In a very small town.

Arenal again is good for a short time in my opinion. But depending on what you like. You can do hot springs, hiking, tours around the lake, windsailing, tours to the rivers to the north...all our of Arenal if you are big into activities. The volcano is impressive, but not active as far as I know. So no lava flow views or anything like it was a few years back.

San Jose is great for what this board is all about...and there are other activities and things to see and do if you like museums, etc. I have been to most of the places around the country...but spend most of my time in San Jose when I'm there...not saying that is always good...but it has worked for me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:10 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Zeos wrote:
costarica0121 wrote:
nosejelly wrote:

thanks

Better than your initial plan in my opinion...just more doable. The other might have been doable with a dedicated driver and van...but would have been extremely tiring...too much travel and uncertainty.

I personally might find a lot of time in Tamarindo a bit much...it's a tourist party town, and surfer hangout...although I don't think it is great for serious surfing. Lots of beaches up and down from there...that could be fun to go to a different one each day or something like that if that is your thing. I basically spent half a day in Tamarindo and that was too much for me. I went up a ways further north and stayed at a little hotel right on a beach...and got to know people there...had 3 or 4 days of peace and relaxation...conversation, great food, walking on the beach..it worked for me. In a very small town.

Arenal again is good for a short time in my opinion. But depending on what you like. You can do hot springs, hiking, tours around the lake, windsailing, tours to the rivers to the north...all our of Arenal if you are big into activities. The volcano is impressive, but not active as far as I know. So no lava flow views or anything like it was a few years back.

San Jose is great for what this board is all about...and there are other activities and things to see and do if you like museums, etc. I have been to most of the places around the country...but spend most of my time in San Jose when I'm there...not saying that is always good...but it has worked for me.

cheers, I do scuba diving and beginner surfer, found a few good shops up there. Thinking of spending a few days up north like you mention e.g. Playa Hermosa or Cocos, will see how it goes when there.

Which hotel on the beach/area did you stay at?