www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: La Fortuna ideas ??
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:19 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Thinking of shooting up to La Fortuna for a day or two and wondered if anyone has any ideas of things to do there. I am interesting in enjoying it like a local would. Which means trying the Baldi hot springs instead of the upscale resort, etc
Any ideas would be appreciated

Post subject: Re: La Fortuna ideas ??
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:58 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Baldi is still a nice resort and somewhat expensive. The locals go to the river off the side of the road, close to Tabacon, which is free (but still heated by the same volcano). There is usually a festival this month with bull fights and live music.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:07 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Thanks for the info, that's what I am looking for. Enjoying the sites like a local.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:19 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Try this tread

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=49835

A day pass for baldi is 14,000 colones and I thought it was well worth it. We did drive to the locals hangout for the free hotsprings but my fiance did not feel comfortable with it as there were not many people there and after walking down to the water and checking it out we decided to go to Baldi. I did go into the water there and it was very nice temperature and went to check out under the bridge and get a better look. I felt fine with it but I have learned not to go against a girls intuition on sensing something bad could happen. If you go to Baldi 1 pool down from the waterslides is a cave that has a couple of hot waterfalls. Inside that cave to the left if you enter by going down the stairs is an entrance to a steam room. Damn that was wonderful and I spent about 20 minutes in there. When you go to leave there is a shower knob on the wall, turn it and get showered by cold water...... very refreshing. The water slides are not long but holy shit you pick up speed only the skim across the surface of the water before sinking into the warm water. I would not be surprised of hitting 35mph in those phucking things. I figured out to slow myself to push my hands as hard as I could against the sides of the slide. Probably rode those things 25 times after 5+ hours though I was ready to leave......

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:02 am 

Last edited by Boynton on Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:07 am 

My wife and I spent 3 days at Baldi Hot Springs 3 years ago. Loved it. It has expanded a lot since I first visited the place in 2006. We had a rental car, so during the day we explored around lake Arenal and the Arenal observatory and lodge. My wife found an offer in one of the travel websites... $99 per day lodging and meals. During the evening, there are a number of good restaurants from which to choose as well as nightlife venues in the pueblo. The whole idea of going to a resort like Baldi, or Tabacon, is to relax, and both of those resorts offer the opportunity to do so. La Fortuna/Baldi is definitely a place that you want to bring along a favorita.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:55 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Thank you, all for your ideas. I just got back from La Fortuna ( 3 days and 2 nights) and I went with no plans with 'M" one of my tica amigas.
First off, it's a heck of a drive from San Jose to La Fortuna. 3-4 hours. The last 80 KM are pure country, winding like a snake, up and down. Not much fun after the first 30 minutes, Pura Vida.
When we arrived in town, I went straight to the first bar in the center, that I saw, lol. The Lava Bar. As pricey as the Rey. Lunch for 2 was $35.00. And a couple of drinks and a shared diner, with live music, is easily $45. Oh well.
Across the street is a hostel called Hostel Backpackers, La Fortuna. They had private rooms with a/c for $ 52. And they had dormitories for the dedicated backpackers. There is a big convenience store next door, and it's very convenient. We met people from many different countries with a lot of energy, and had a fun time. The hostel has many different properties all over costa rica. There was as sister property one block away with a nice pool, and poolside bar.

We drove a little bit out of the town and saw a bunch of cars parked alongside the road. There was a guy watching the cars (for a few coins) and we went to the hot springs. Very nice and relaxing and there were at least 20 tourists who discovered the place. The hot spring are so relaxing that after the usual evening exercise,(wink, wink) we both slept like Babi*s.

I joked with 'M" that next time , we need to charter a helicopter.

La Fortuna is a central location to enjoy many different adventures. But the adventures are not necessarily close by. I would suggest planning 3-4 days, and bring some moolah to enjoy organized tours with transportation. We wanted to go to Rio Celeste, but it was 1 1/2 hrs from the center of town and in the opposite direction of San Jose.

As a side note, on the way back, we avoided the Main Highway going past the airport because of the work being done on the bridge. We took RT 27 near Oratina. This highway goes past the Escazu mall and ends in La Sabana. Avoided that terrible traffic on the autopista.