www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:45 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

thinking about a trip in 2017 to catch a big one. anyone interested ?

I am flexible.....
John S

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:53 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

HOU wrote:
thinking about a trip in 2017 to catch a big one. anyone interested ?

I am flexible.....
John S

Very interested, I'll pm you with my contact info!

CostaReeker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:21 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

t

Last edited by brazinone on Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:51 am 

my research indicates Hannibel canyon and nearby island during months of sept + or - for big females.
fishing out of David.

anyone have any knowledge/recommendations ?

js

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:39 pm 

Postupright wrote:
https://www.tropicstar.com/en/

Extremely expensive! I was hoping for another alternative.

CostaReeker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:36 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Tropic star is one of those once in a lifetime trips. I have talked to a few people that have stayed there and went fishing with them and they were all very happy. Other than the costs you will catch fish. It might not be a worlds record but you will have a great time. It happens to be on my bucket list of things to do, however I am more into catching fish to eat versus trophy fishing. Also bringing fish back from there will be cost prohibitive, as you fly in on a small plane and leave the same way, so cargo space is at a premium.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:17 pm 

Ilv4play wrote:
Tropic star is one of those once in a lifetime trips. I have talked to a few people that have stayed there and went fishing with them and they were all very happy. Other than the costs you will catch fish. It might not be a worlds record but you will have a great time. It happens to be on my bucket list of things to do, however I am more into catching fish to eat versus trophy fishing. Also bringing fish back from there will be cost prohibitive, as you fly in on a small plane and leave the same way, so cargo space is at a premium.

Valid points one and all! I am just the opposite, I could care less about fish to eat, I want trophy fish, 9 more Marlin in particular . I have a freezer full of fish that will probably be given away or I will struggle to eat it! I also would like to go to Tropic Star even if I have to go by myself and pay the $6600 to fish one person off the boat. It will happen one day, I just don't know when. I know they are an awesome charter service. I have heard nothing but good about them.

CostaReeker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:23 pm 

Bring that fish with you to Costa Rica. As long as it is frozen there is no problems with bringing it into the country, just list it on your declaration form as "SPORT CAUGHT FROZEN FISH". The chefs at the different hotels were always happy to cook it for us when we would bring salmon and halibut down. If you are staying at SL, ask Bill if he would be up for doing a free fish fry for those staying there, or charge a small amount for the time and extras required. As for Tropic Star, I have a couple of friends that want to make a trip there, and if it works out to where we actually start planning it, I will let you know and you would be welcome to join us.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:11 am 

Ilv4play wrote:
Bring that fish with you to Costa Rica. As long as it is frozen there is no problems with bringing it into the country, just list it on your declaration form as "SPORT CAUGHT FROZEN FISH". The chefs at the different hotels were always happy to cook it for us when we would bring salmon and halibut down. If you are staying at SL, ask Bill if he would be up for doing a free fish fry for those staying there, or charge a small amount for the time and extras required. As for Tropic Star, I have a couple of friends that want to make a trip there, and if it works out to where we actually start planning it, I will let you know and you would be welcome to join us.

Yes, I would be interested if the trip comes to fruition! Keep me on the invite list.

What is your experience on bringing frozen fish from CR to the US. It's not a priority of mine but I hate wasting fish or leaving it behind. It usually gets left in the fridge or freezer for the maids. This last trip, I cut out about 2-3 lbs of prime mahi-mahi fillets & froze them in a ziplock with no water. They were flagged in SJO & also in Houston. The guy at customs in SJO & the TSA guy just wanted to see what it was so they had me unpack it & show them that it was fish & there was no issue after that. Do you know of a quantity limit or species limit, any banned species? I had it in my carry on bags, I don't check luggage. Any intel would be appreciated.

Thanks,
CostaReeker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:41 pm 

I have been bringing fish back from Costa Rica since 2007 and never a problem. There are no real limits if you are fishing for food, also no fishing license is required if you are fishing to eat. The main thing our people care about, is that it is frozen solid. I have insulated fish boxes that hold about 60-70 pounds of fish but we keep them at the 50 pound limit for the airlines. Also I vac seal it, and put 2 fillets together with the skin side showing. I don't think it makes a difference to customs but by leaving the skin on it is easy to identify what is what. Also I do not like it when they peel the skin from the dorado, it leaves a fine layer of shit behind that I do not like the taste and texture of. Lately when bring stuff down in a checked bag I have been using a soft sided cooler I bought at Costco for $6.00 each. I can get an easy 20-25 pounds in it, zip it up and after 18 hours the contents are still frozen solid. Main thing is declare it going into CR if taking it down and declare it when coming home. The magic words are "sport caught frozen fish"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:56 pm 

Ilv4play wrote:
Main thing is declare it going into CR if taking it down and declare it when coming home. The magic words are "sport caught frozen fish"

Great Intel...Thanks man.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:22 am 

i aam not interested in any thing but catch and release fot the bill fish i am after. these are magnificent, rare , top of the food chain predators. video , some close up time , and release the fish and watch him swim away to live and fight another day.

i you want a trophy get the fiberglass version of the corresponding weight and dimension fish and painted to the photo

right now i am thinking offshore , full day out of David to fish Hannibal canyon probably in sept 2017 historically best time for big female marlin

pura vida............
js

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:48 am 

HOU wrote:
i aam not interested in any thing but catch and release fot the bill fish i am after. these are magnificent, rare , top of the food chain predators. video , some close up time , and release the fish and watch him swim away to live and fight another day.

i you want a trophy get the fiberglass version of the corresponding weight and dimension fish and painted to the photo

right now i am thinking offshore , full day out of David to fish Hannibal canyon probably in sept 2017 historically best time for big female marlin

pura vida............
js

Keep me in mind if you need someone to fill the boat/share the cost!!

Costa Reeker