www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:39 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

I am planning a 40th birthday trip for one of my boys and wanted to go deep sea fishing and other adventurous activities. I would appreciate any and all suggestions to help me plan this trip.

Date: April 23-26 or 24-27
Group: 8-10

None of us have gone fishing and are total novices at it. However we want to enjoy the sport fishing experience of Marlins or Sailfish. Can anyone recommend charters that can accommodate our group? Not all of us will be throwing the line. Maybe 5-6 might, the rest will just join in for the fun.

I would like to know if we are being too ambitious for going for the big catch or not. Like i said i would appreciate contact information for charters that won't take use for a ride. Spanish speaking charters are fine to since we do have a local guy that will be joining us.

Also if there are any suggestions for home rentals in that area, I will appreciate that too.

Thanks in advance for your help

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:47 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Location: NFM--Geezers, cowpokes and the working poor--yeeha!
It's good you are giving this long lead time for responses. I understand you are looking for personal recommendations but this commercial Site might be a help: http://www.costaricafishingreport.com/ or this:
http://drsportfishingcostarica.com/abou ... costa-rica

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:30 am 

ADMIN I AM WONDERING WHY YOU DELETED MY POST????

Was it because I offered info on a company that does not advertise on this site. Honestly I don't give a shit but for Christs sake at least leave the post and edit it or send me a message that it was removed.

I was offering my help to someone that was asking and since I have had very good repeat experiences with this company it was good information for the members to read.

If anyone wants to know of this company send me a PM. They are out of Quepos but they get fish.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:56 am 

In the past, I've used the following boats/charter services when fishing in Costa Rica:

... a boat in Jaco twice with a skipper named Tony... he charges $350/day for a 26' boat and $500/day for a 30' boat. His boats sail from the beach (not Los Suenos). The daily rates include everything (bait, tackle, food and drinks.)

... a boat out of Playa Flamingo, Guanacaste with MuchoGusto's outfit, Victours, for 1 1/2 days of fishing. The boats were 30'+ sportfishers with captain, mate, tackle and bait, transportation, food and drinks. I believe we paid about $900 for the full-day and $400 for a subsequent half-day of fishing (we got a discount on the 1/2 day).

... a boat out of Quepos, the 37' Estrella del Mar, for a full day of fishing. The $850 charter fee included Captain/Mate, licenses for 4, tackle, bait, hot lunch and snacks, drinks and transportation from the hotel.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:15 pm 

JazzboCR wrote:
It's good you are giving this long lead time for responses. I understand you are looking for personal recommendations but this commercial Site might be a help: http://www.costaricafishingreport.com/ or this:
http://drsportfishingcostarica.com/abou ... costa-rica

I can give Dan a personal recommendation...very knowledgeable and can usually always find a good boat to put folks on. Won't be the least expensive option but it will be legal and safe.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:06 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Location: u believe i am a newbie & i got a bridge to sell ya
in my mind without a doubt.... you have a large group of novices so you should go with the pros... costa rica dreams do the charter boats out of los suenos marina ~ take at least 1 full day ~ with all your group it will not cost much per person for the day ~ but charter a big boat with professional crew.... they will hook the fish 4 you & help you boat it for a photo & memories for a lifetime ~ you can't mess with the small pangas as your group is large & no one has caught a biggun b4 ... that's my dos centavos worth ~ good luck & have fun (bring sunblock & your camera)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:14 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

since you are staying such a short time just rent a condo on the beach for your time in jaco ~ they will have security & a pool & probably a kitchen too....jaco is a small town you can walk but avoid the late night transvestites & cab it up to los suenos ~ unless you pre book a cheap car rental on budget dot cr ~ 3 day minimum rental ~ 2 day minimum advance reservation ~ if you use your credit card for payment at the time of reservation (even though it is not charged until you pick up the car) they give you a 20% discount.... i have been renting a car from them for over a month now.....$15 a day....cheap....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:36 pm 

Edikted wrote:
i have been renting a car from them for over a month now.....$15 a day....cheap....

Just curious how did you get them for the 15.00? By the time they add on all the bullshit insurance that they will not waiver on, unless you let them put a hold on your credit card for almost the full value of the car, they make you take it. Your 15.00 a day rate is now 45.00+. I have rented from the big companies and most of them give you a low rate online or on the phone then hit you with these "Required" extras. Now I rent a car from my fiancés relatives and I pay 20.00 per day but it is a 2014 car with insurance.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:41 pm 

Ilv4play wrote:
Edikted wrote:
i have been renting a car from them for over a month now.....$15 a day....cheap....

Just curious how did you get them for the 15.00? By the time they add on all the bullshit insurance that they will not waiver on, unless you let them put a hold on your credit card for almost the full value of the car, they make you take it. Your 15.00 a day rate is now 45.00+. I have rented from the big companies and most of them give you a low rate online or on the phone then hit you with these "Required" extras. Now I rent a car from my fiancés relatives and I pay 20.00 per day but it is a 2014 car with insurance.

I've gotten rentals in San Jose for as cheap as $15/day, but then the additional $20/day mandatory SLI makes it closer to $35/day.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:05 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

i have the car for $15 a day by reserving it 2 days in advance & keep it for a minimum of 3 days ~ i picked their smallest cheapest car that they do not have so i am upgraded to the regular little toyota i have ~ i put it on my card at the time i made the reservation that gave me 20% off right there.... i tell them at the counter i decline all their insurances as my credit card company covers me... i am not upset by the amount they put on hold with my credit card company ~ i have a very good card for a long time & they will protect me if needed ~ check it out on budget dot cr ~ it will work for you too.... drive careful (an understatement to say the least but if you have the cahones to drive here no worries)....just drive careful

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:18 pm 

My AMEX premium auto rental covers any damage to the car... but does not cover the mandatory Supplemental Life Insurance. SLI can't be waived (unless things have changed since I rented a car in SJ a year ago).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:11 am 

I would use my AMEX for the payment but I would give them a low limit card for the deposit so that way if they tried to jack me around they would not be able to hit me for much and they could not zing my AMEX for a shitload.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:20 am 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:36 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

If you want a great boat out of Los Suenos check out http://www.epicfishingcostarica.com/. Fished with them several times over the years. He will fish for anything you want from inshore Rooster (which if you havent done you should) to sail and marlin further out. Always finds the fish.