www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:38 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

FISHING
Fishing the Caribbean side at the Rio Colorado Lodge 4/9, 10, 11, return to SJ 4/12. Fly RT—this place is fun, my third visit and you catch fish here. Rates include boat and guide as well as all meals, which are excellent. Anyone interested in going here let me know.

I also have some available days in my April trip for possible shared Pacific side charter spot or ? My avail. Days are Sat. 4/14, and Sun. 4/15 as well as Fri. 4/20. Anyone of these would be good—my preference is to fish for edible (Dorado/Tuna/Wahoo) as opposed to bill/sailfish release.

I know boats and captains at both Coco and Potrero. I don’t mind a fly in situation and would consider Drake Bay area in the south. Off the Osa is very wild and lots of fish—very close to Panama.

If anybody is down for some fishing PM me, or reply here.

If enough response indicates an interest, but no prior fishing plan, I can arrange something for 3 to 4 serious fishermen. I will be at the La Amistad or Sportsman on /or around the days shown so anyone wanting to see photos or discuss a possible share check me out.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:02 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

What captain would you use out of Quepos for Dorado Tuna similar, I don't care about the hero shots with billfish, done that?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:10 pm 

Not familar with Quepos, and I would consult Pops on that question as I know he has experience there. Are you interested and do you know of any boats or captains in that central pacific area? I can for sure make a few inquiries, as I know that destination is a possible day trip by road w/o flight costs.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:46 pm 

DGD wrote:
What captain would you use out of Quepos for Dorado Tuna similar, I don't care about the hero shots with billfish, done that?

Last time I went fishing out of Quepos was in April 2009. We booked on the 36' sportfisher, Estrella de Mar, skippered by Capt Jesus. It cost us $850 for the entire day, and it was a big success. However, we did have a few disappointments like the "big one that got away" :wink: : http://youtu.be/TAV6drgPGb0

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:34 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

What are you planning to do with the fish? Can you take them back to the states? Do you have to freeze them and what does security say? I would love some fresh tuna and mahi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:57 pm 

Bioya wrote:
What are you planning to do with the fish? Can you take them back to the states? Do you have to freeze them and what does security say? I would love some fresh tuna and mahi

Fish like tuna and dorado are cleaned, filet and packed in a bag right on the boat, so bring a cooler. If there is a lot, we give some to the mate (to sell), and take the rest back to the hotel or a restaurant for preparation.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:02 pm 

In Quepos last year we chartered a 32' Boston Whaler; base was like $850/day - 3 of us - w/ tip was pushing $1000 for the day - likely higher now b/c of gas prices - we used Blue Sea Charters in Quepos - OK; not great

Be specific on the type of boat - you can likely get a 25' open fisherman for +/- $650/day - but note the "open" - maybe you are younger than I, but all day in the sun on a small open boat (although the waters have never been rough in the 15 years I've fished CR during dry season - maybe during the wet season they are?) is not for me at 57 :lol: You really want some shade.

Re bringing back fish; we take the fish filets to a res't and have them cook it - some of the best meals I've ever had - while I thnk you can take frozen fish back, to me not worth the hassle and the 3 step "security" process at SJO almost assures that some tool is going to Phuck with you if you have a cooler.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:37 am 

Good morning guys - FYI I just wanted to let everyone know I have a trip booked for mainly fishing, mongering a close second but we are serious and extremely successful fisherman. Anyhoo the trip is April 6-13/14th in Panama close to Costa Rica lodge is in Gulf de Chirique region.

We "run and gun" that is to say its all '31 Center console open type boats, we are casting poppers and dropping jigs for the fish, not so much trolling and waiting for the fish to bit we entice fish to bite our artificial baits. Its very fun and we do target tuna, wahoo, mahi, grouper etc. The lodge has an excellent chef we have sushi daily, then dinner is what we catch + some grilled chicken breasts and steaks.

Trip is setup for 6 nights at Lodge, 5 days offshore fishing till you say when. It can be 12 hr day or 8 hr day your choice. Typically I fish 2 days hard then take wednesday off and then fish hard thursday Friday - this is largely for Chica reasons as my Chica will bitch at me if I'm gone all week or maybe I will take her one day inshore. Panama water is 99% of the time (knocking on wood) flat calm and we run everywhere at 28 to 30 + knots sea sickness is usually not an issue. 4 meals a day, open bar, transportation to and from Panama City included.

We have rented the entire lodge (this is my third year doing this - year one was three guys, this past trip was 12) and are shooting for 20 men to come down. I have already 12 to 14 guys and deposits are coming in ($500 locks in spot) for next April. Total trip cost is $3,200 PP which includes everything down to the tackle and freebies from the tackle manufacturers that are our sponsors (you can expect a few free shirts, visors, hats, lures, etc.)

I am very dialed into the fishery there and the catches are downright remarkable - shoot me a PM I'll link you to my photobucket, I have 30,000 pictures over the past 6 years fishing in panama and costa rica semi professionally. In a 5 day trip you will catch 12 to 15 different species. Marlin is not a favorite of mine, but I have put clients on them to 12.5 feet about 850 lbs blacks in Panama on most trips. Personally I like to cast for medium sized tunas and the inshore fish like Roosterfish, Cubera Snapper, Blue Jacks, etc.

For Chicas you have a few options:

1. You find your own Chica in Panama City and bring her to lodge with you
2. No chica, you go to David after fishing 12 hrs and find one, bring her back - good for the younger guys
3. You have taxi driver bring Chica on his short list to lodge, hopefully there is good chemistry, she stays overnight due to distance and if you like her have her stay the rest of the week, if not have a new one brought in (about $160/night - $60 goes to cabbie, $100 to Chica plus any propina you might give her).
4. For me, I hope my fav will drive over from Costa like this past trip. Lodge is less than 1.4 hrs from Costa/Panama Border its easy to bring one over from Costa if She has her Passport.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:58 pm 

Info as of today out of Los Suenos in Jaco:
Dorado have been doing well the last week or so...pulling in a lot. Billfish and marlin are plentiful. I have a good connection with knowledgeable people in Jaco but it is usually more expensive than other locations but did help a client book a 32" with air conditioning for $1350 all day offshore. Out of Los Suenos, $1200 a day for offshore seems to be the normal pricing for with decent captain and crew.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:03 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

I had a few questions regarding fishing I was hoping someone on here could help me with. I live in FL and fish avidly, I have quite a few friends out of Indian Rocks who commercial fish or guide so I understand how the business works. But.. when I visit CR in Aug I want to fish but I'm only really interested in roosterfish, tuna, mahi or big bottom fish (no trolling for billfish, Yawn). My dilemma is that for that kind of fishing I really dont need to go out 100 miles or have a 50' Viking with a 1100$ a person price tag.

Hell, I'd be more than happy to pay a local to take us in there jon boat and get us on the fish.

Im looking between Quepos to Jaco. There will be 3 of us, Any suggestions for good captians?

Thx

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:50 pm 

Quepos for a bigger selection for starters. I'd get there a day in advance and in the evening hang out at bar Gran Escape, that's where some of the fishing capt's and fishermen seem to congregate. Ask those bartenders, Chi-Chi and Eduardo, or even better yet, the owner, Marsha, gringa, they'll know alot. I'd also get over to the pier, maybe when they are coming back in, and just start asking q's. You can do what you are trying to do, good idea, but your are going to need boots on the ground to get it, I think.

There's a new Marina, really nice, adjacent to the pier, a gringo named Perry is the boss, good guy, other gringos running it with him, they will steer you right. Stop in and see if he or one of his bud's has 5 minutes for you or if you can buy them a drink later, they like hitting the local taps. The fishing fleet, per se, is not part of the marina, maybe a few of the bigger boats are, but they'll know the current lay of the land, or sea rather. I've noticed over the years that there is a pretty big turnover as to who's working in Quepos, or who's now working for someone else. That's why I say get there before and do your own due due diligence as opposed to trying to get something lined up on-line, etc., maybe a little risky and $$$ then what you can do in person. There is a little fun to be had at two near by adjacent bar's, Wacky Wanda's and Pescadora, after 6 or 7pm, sometimes really nice selection, sometimes so so. Better during fishing season. Be sure to get to Manuel Antonio and its beach, about 5 miles south of Quepos, world class beautiful beach.

I went in shore twice there, got skunked, maybe just bad luck. Still was fun, beautiful place. Last piece of advice: make sure they have bait when you shove off. One time we spent an hour fishing for bait.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:01 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

DGD wrote:
Quepos for a bigger selection for starters. I'd get there a day in advance and in the evening hang out at bar Gran Escape, that's where some of the fishing capt's and fishermen seem to congregate. Ask those bartenders, Chi-Chi and Eduardo, or even better yet, the owner, Marsha, gringa, they'll know alot. I'd also get over to the pier, maybe when they are coming back in, and just start asking q's. You can do what you are trying to do, good idea, but your are going to need boots on the ground to get it, I think.

There's a new Marina, really nice, adjacent to the pier, a gringo named Perry is the boss, good guy, other gringos running it with him, they will steer you right. Stop in and see if he or one of his bud's has 5 minutes for you or if you can buy them a drink later, they like hitting the local taps. The fishing fleet, per se, is not part of the marina, maybe a few of the bigger boats are, but they'll know the current lay of the land, or sea rather. I've noticed over the years that there is a pretty big turnover as to who's working in Quepos, or who's now working for someone else. That's why I say get there before and do your own due due diligence as opposed to trying to get something lined up on-line, etc., maybe a little risky and $$$ then what you can do in person. There is a little fun to be had at two near by adjacent bar's, Wacky Wanda's and Pescadora, after 6 or 7pm, sometimes really nice selection, sometimes so so. Better during fishing season. Be sure to get to Manuel Antonio and its beach, about 5 miles south of Quepos, world class beautiful beach.

I went in shore twice there, got skunked, maybe just bad luck. Still was fun, beautiful place. Last piece of advice: make sure they have bait when you shove off. One time we spent an hour fishing for bait.

Thx for the advice D.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:53 pm 

In Jaco (actually Herradura) drive past Los suenos about 1/8 mile. You will dead end into the beach. Local with 20 ft panga's are there for hire. I have fished with the green and the blue pangas. One speaks english the other doesnt. Get the english speaking one to get live mullet the night before, he will take you to the tuleen river mouth about a six mile ride down the beach. Slow troll the mullet for roosters and jacks, can throw popers also. Cost was about $300, this may have changed. Go in the afternoon before and ask around beach. Lupe used to be the one who didnt speak english, ask for his brother.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:08 pm 

Super boots on the ground advice. Thank you. I usually screw around in Quepos, but I may check these guys out on the way there next week.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:57 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Gatorsrule wrote:
In Jaco (actually Herradura) drive past Los suenos about 1/8 mile. You will dead end into the beach. Local with 20 ft panga's are there for hire. I have fished with the green and the blue pangas. One speaks english the other doesnt. Get the english speaking one to get live mullet the night before, he will take you to the tuleen river mouth about a six mile ride down the beach. Slow troll the mullet for roosters and jacks, can throw popers also. Cost was about $300, this may have changed. Go in the afternoon before and ask around beach. Lupe used to be the one who didnt speak english, ask for his brother.

Great advice brother!