www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It's a Zoo out there...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:26 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Just curious, what is the zoo like in SJ. Looks big on the map, but you never know. Might be a fun place to take a chica during the day. Anybody ever been there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:55 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I have seen reviews that say it is pretty shabby and sad to see the conditions in which they have caged up the animals. But I also heard somewhere that they had started to fix it up recently. My favorite tourist attraction that is close to the Gulch is the National Museum. It is fairly cool inside and among the various exhibits they have is a butterfly garden. There is also another "zoo" further outside of town going towards the airport, but the name escapes me now and I'm not near my CR notes to look it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:30 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

The Simon Bolivar zoo (Parque Zoologico) in San Jose (between the Gulch and El Pueblo) indeed
has improved recently. Some CR friends of mine went there a few months ago
with some ninos, and they all had a good time. Admission is cheap, $2 I believe.

The zoo Prolijo is referring to is called Zoo Ave, and is located about five or six
miles past the airport on the road to Puntarenas, just before the town of La Garita.
Admission is $10. Supposedly it is worth it, as they have an
excellent array of animals, including a fantastic bird collection.

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile, and the rest of us are phucked until we can put our acts together; not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely"...Hunter S. Thompson (RIP)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:14 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

I hve been to the Simon Bolivar Zoo several times and it is getting better every time. They are cleaning up the areas and it seems as though the animals are getting healthier each time that I visit. On my last trip, they had a large selection of cats , birds, monkeys, etc.
You can sometimes meet a chica who is there with her little ones. It is a good break from the usual San Jose activities and the admission is less than 1000 col.

DG

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:02 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Went there yeserday with my chica its tiny compared to zoos i've been to ,D.C. ,san diego, toronto. Lots of birds , parrots, monkeys but the coolest thing is the ocelots, they alone are definitely worth the 1000c entrance fee. The cages on the most part are tiny and the stench of animal urine was pretty nasty but it was still a fun half hour. Funny thing i saw was that the lion cage was sponsored by the del rey!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:11 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Coolest part of the zoo for me was the river that runs through it. Not the river itself, which is filthy and full of trash, but the signs. One set explains the causes of pollution, and another set explains what the gov't could do to solve them (if it wanted to).