www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:15 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

T-Man,
Thats a very good summary of all of the options. I think you exaggerate by a little bit the cost of a car rental though. A Toyota RAV4 goes for $50/day or $300/wk from May to Nov plus another $10/day for insurance if you use a platinum card as I do. During the peak season you can still find a car at that price if you downgrade to a Daihaitsu Terios same rate but insurance only $7/day. These are both brand new safe respectable 4WD AC vehicles. If you want a Lexus, it will cost more. I have had a flat only once and paid a guy 1000C to change it for me. When I rent from a respectable agency, I know the tires are good and the brakes have been checked. Even at this price the rate is comparable to hiring a driver, so what it really comes down to is whether you or someone else in your party likes to do their own driving. I've stated my own preference, but I won't say one or the other is right for everyone. To each their own, YMMV.

BTW, how can you say there is no risk to you if you are in an accident? What do you call getting killed or injured? In any event, this risk is nearly as small as it would be back home, unless you go on roads off the beaten path as ElJefe described and private taxi's could not even attempt those types of roads

One more tip, if anyone does decide to rent a car, do not use the rental counter at the airport as they tack on an extra 12% fee if you rent from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:33 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

CRMonger,
I travel and stay in Dominical almost every trip down to CR. Wonderful, beautiful, and romantic area to take that chica especial (you need a car, though, to thoroughly explore and enjoy the area). My most memorable driving excursion was in the early 90's when two buddies and I tried to travel from Monezuma (on the tip of the Nicoya Peninsula) north to Samara. Up a mountain, down a mountain, through a stream or river, and up a mountain, down, etc. Outstanding verticals that the 4WD could barely climb, and mindblowing downhills skiing along on the red clay mud with the emergency brake on trying to maintain control. We were told by the locals when we left Montezuma that we probably wouldn't make it all the way through. So we loaded up with hielo and cervecas. The trip took 11 hours, but the sites and scenery was stunning. I'd do it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 8:31 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

CRMonger and others...as I stated...mode of transportation and risk taking is a personal decision and issue. I personally have no problem and have rented cars and dont mind traveling around in my own car here...which I do. My advice is primarily for those who are NOT bilingual, NOT used to 3rd world road conditions and lack of signage, and NOT the kind of adventurers you and I are:). I just think for most of the first timers that come here...it's a good idea to get a guided tour of CR...and you dont have to be in a group or crowded tour bus to do so.

As for prices on rentals...you can find the rates you state some and maybe alot of the time...IF you know where to look. But even the major agencies do NOT keep up their cars the way they do in the states. I once arranged rental at Budget here which I have the most experience and mileage back in the states with. They had three cars left to rent...and all three were with practically bald tires and dings and bumps all around. The roads here ARE rough on even 4WDs...and you have to be careful what you drive out with. I made them change the tires before I would take a car...which took them 2 HOURS while I waited. Also last April when family came down to visit in Liberia...the best rate found on a SMALL 4 WD was over $100 day with insurances. So...its not very consistent down here in the rental dept...and in season cars can even get scarce...therefore driving up the price. I have also heard many stories of reservations not being honored as for type of vehicle and even price.

Hope everyone has best experiences whichever way they want to go...I just try to keep everyones expectations balanced when coming here:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:14 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Excellent information on this thread for guys who have not travelled out of the gulch or have not travelled much. I will add my own experiences and recommendation.

1. I enjoy the pacific coast and the Manuel Antonio / Quepos area quite a bit. The Hotel Parador is a wonderful luxury experience which will not set you back all that much - I think you can always get a discount from their posted internet prices by calling them at least that is my experience. I have stayed there three times during "high and low" seasons and they have always seemed to be at about the same occupancy to me (est. 50 - 60%). Bear in mind the price includes a great breakfast buffet and free van shuttle down to the beach in MA every few hours.

You can also get a cheap taxi from the Hotel to Quepos or one of the nice restraunts with a view that are a few miles away.

2. I drove for the first time on my last trip and I personally would probably not do it again - basically too much of a hassle for me and I found myself worn / stressed out after driving through a heavy fog and constant rain for 3 hours back into San Jose. When I added up all of the costs for the rental car (including the full insurance I took out) I saved a bit on what it would have cost either to have a driver or to fly. I have not flown to Quepos however I would definitely consider this for another trip.

However, I would add that at this point in my life I don't really find myself liking driving a car at all. I used to live in a rural area in the states for many years and would routinely drive 30,000+ miles a year and I guess I have just had my fill of driving. On the other hand I have friends who love to drive (including in CR) and I am happy to sit back and let them do the driving.

3. CR Monger - I may definitely take you up on the offer of you driving. I will get back to you when I get closer to my next trip which will be Nov. 26 - Dec. 4.

Easy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:29 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Hey Lurker, one thing G-man failed to mention about the Parador Hotel is price. I took a chica there just for an afternoon. We did not stay at the hotel as it was hard for me to swallow the tab for 2 ice creams at $14. Yes that is correct $7 each for a scoop of ice cream. So the place is real nice & the view is great but since the whore i'm with was pretty much used to livin in a shack this monger ain't gonna drop any serious cash.

If your able able to spend a few nights at this hotel you might as well just pay for some penthouse models in NYC $2000. for a session.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Also, i'd recommend a 1 or 2 night trip to Turrialba. It cost about $1 on the bus. I think it's only 1 hr. away & a beautiful ride. Casa Turrire is the place for romance. It is fairly expensive but in the off season I negotiated a good rate.

Post subject: CR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:55 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Hey CR....
I wish I could afford those 2k Penthouse Gals.. :lol: ... then what fun would CR be....

Actually I stayed at the Parador off season.. in May last year, and it was I believe 125.00 Per night... Considering the level of service, view, and quality of the overall expierience, I thought it was quite reasonable....The restaurant was adequate and in my opinon not overpriced, by any stretch.... ...

Obviously it is pricy for CR in any manner and it is not for everyone... I woudl assume before anyone makes a move to go to any location they will review rates etc... to see if it is within their budget as you are correct, everyone has their own budget and must enjoy themselves accordingly...

Regardless, I enjoyed myself, there and if it within someones budget I would reccomend it.......

On a subsquent trip to Jaco, I was in the Best Western, although the property itself was very nice... the rooms I would rate close to a dump, and at 110.00 per night.. Now that is pricy........ When push comes to shove there was no comparison...

PS.. I did not have the 14.00 Pair of Ice Cream Cones :lol:

Just my opinion....