www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tabacon
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:54 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

http://www.tabacon.com/

I will be heading here for a day. Has anyone been there before?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:37 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

I've been there a couple of times. Be sure to get one of the spa treatments. I know this may sound a little un-manly, but I got a treatment that consisted of a volcanic mud body rub, a facial, then a 1 hour massage. It was unreal. Do it!!!
Also, buy a treatment for your companion that also consists of a manicure. Alot of these women have never been pampered before, and it really makes them feel great. Tabacon treatments are priced somewhere between US prices and CR prices, so if you have a little dough, do it. I'll bet you will reap the rewards later that evening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:40 pm 

Elmedicobueno wrote:
I've been there a couple of times. Be sure to get one of the spa treatments. I know this may sound a little un-manly, but I got a treatment that consisted of a volcanic mud body rub, a facial, then a 1 hour massage. It was unreal. Do it!!!

How much? I am into massages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:41 pm 

Elmedicobueno wrote:
Also, buy a treatment for your companion that also consists of a manicure. Alot of these women have never been pampered before, and it really makes them feel great.

I am going with my buddy. What are the chances we find girls to go along?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:45 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

You need to bring girls. There is no place to find them there. Just tell the girls at BM that you want to go to Arenal with them. They will go. They know it is nice. If you and your buddy go solo, after about 1 hour of the hot springs you will be wishing you had brought chicas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:49 pm 

Elmedicobueno wrote:
You need to bring girls. There is no place to find them there. Just tell the girls at BM that you want to go to Arenal with them. They will go. They know it is nice. If you and your buddy go solo, after about 1 hour of the hot springs you will be wishing you had brought chicas.

Okay so after I arrive on Thursday and hang for 2 days in San Jose, We should ask our favorites to come along. What do you think they will want to get paid?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:26 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

hot springs there

Last edited by Easy on Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:33 pm 

I think I paid $159/night at the lodge

I suggest try the couples massage .. total of $135. They take you to a cabana ... it was amazing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:16 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Day passes for Tabacon are $20 US per person. This includes use of all facilities. Tabacon has ten natural pool areas and river pools with waterfalls in a beautiful jungle setting. There are three bars on premises. When entering the resort, you will be guided to a locker room to change clothes and store valuables. Highly reccomend the massage.

Elmedico is right on about pampering your favorita. Get them a manicure. Your ROI will be tenfold. By the way, the hair salon in MetroPlaza will do manicures for under $10US. Chica's love it!

My reccomendation for overnight accomodations is Arenal Lodge, about a mile down the road from Tabacon. It has the best views of the volcano and a great pool and hot tub, both of which are great places to watch the lava flows late at night. The restaurant also very good.

If your in need of transportation, I reccomend Orlando. His contact information can be found under DonGordo's guide sticky.

Papa Nut

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:51 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Papa Nut,

I assume the Arenal Lodge you are talking about is the Arenal Observatory Lodge, kind of the action central as far as volcano watchers, and not the Arenal Vista Lodge which is on Lake Arenal.

The observatory has gates you have to enter thru to get there, and man, what a view, unreal. It is usually populated by 'nature' types, but it is the place where visiting vulconologists stay, and the food it very good, relaxed atmosphere.

Right outside of the gate leading to the observatory, there is a kiosk, open at day, closed at night. It is on the left side, just below the gate, on the left as your are facing the entrance to the Observatory.

They charge you to take the trail during the day, you don't have to pay at night. Around midnight, head in to the trail, of course bring a flashlight and sitck, and use the three foot rule: No snake, even the bushmaster nor fleur de lance, can make a hit if you are three feet away from them. A hike of a couple of kilometers, crossing a stream, will take you to the lava field at the base of the most active side of Arenal. Just hang out there for a couple of hours, with a chica, almost a life changing experience.

As far as Tabacon Hot Springs Resort, perhaps one of the prettiest places on earth, and fine dining there is excellent as well. If you have not been there, go there, it will blow you away.

Dman

Last edited by Dallasman on Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:47 pm 

I have stayed at Arenal Observatory Lodge before.The rooms are comfortable and adequate and the views are very good.I wish I had hiked up at night only went on a tour during the day.Therooms all have full glass walls on the volcano side so you can watch and hear the vocano at nice.That was back in my married days but could me a nice activity with a chica.I don't know if they allow guests but if you get a double maybe it wouldn't be problem. rbc100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:02 am 

There is an Arenal Lodge and an Arenal Observatory Lodge. I believe Papa was referring to the former (which has also been recommended in the past by Circus). The Observatory Lodge is further away from Tabacon and much closer to the Volcano. I stayed Arenal Lodge (in the Chalets)during my first trip before they raised their prices. In fact the rates on all the hotels rooms with volcano views have been rising dramatically. Green season rates for roughly equivalent double rooms with a view are as follows Arenal Lodge $91, Arenal Observatory Lodge $96 and Tabacon $139 (although the first 2 have slightly cheaper rooms w/o views). And the admission price for the Tabacon Springs have gone up as well to $29/pp! If you add the admission price for 2 adults to what you pay for a room Tabacon Resort Hotel, which included free admission with their room rates, begins to look a lot better. Also keep in mind that hotel guests are allowed into the springs in the morning and late evening when it is closed to regular day visitors and hence much less crowded. And if you plan on going to the springs the day you arrive and the day you leave as well, it becomes an even better bargain. I haven't stayed at the Observatory so can't really compare it but IMHO the Tabacon Resort is a far better deal than the Arenal Lodge (volcano views are about the same).

I never like to say one place is better than another, it all depends on your priorities. If your main focus is on the volcano and you only plan to visit the springs once if at all, the Observatory may be your best bet. If the Springs and the Spa are your focus, Tabacon may be your best bet. And if staying within budget is important and you don't mind giving up the view of the volcano from your room, it is far cheaper to stay in town and just enjoy your views during the day when you drive over to the springs or volcano. Another final point to consider given the ridiculously high rate s for the springs is to go to one several cheaper or even free springs in the area although you will be giving up the lush landscaping and Spa options.