www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:36 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

I am planning a trip in December, and doing my research it seems like Puerto Viejo would be fun. Another possibility is the south tip of the Nicoya Peninsula. Does anyone have any experience in Puerto Viejo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:02 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I went to Cahuita, which is just to the north of Puerto Viejo a couple of years ago. It was like a totally different country. A lot of Jamaican influence there. I had a lot of fun, but I am a little wierd when I go on vacation. If you want a chica, BRING ONE WITH YOU from San Jose. There is very little monger activities there. I think PV might be a little more in the nightlife dept, but I really don't know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:03 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I strongly endorse Puerto Viejo as a best kept secret in CR. The beaches there and south to Panama are the cleanest and best sand in the country. The Caribbean culture there as well as many europeans who have discovered and settled there is much preferable to me than the Pacific tourism atmosphere. It's very laid back, plenty of party friends at the bars and discos of Puerto Viejo...and very inexpensive compared to the Pacific side also. Check it out...especially the beach at Punta Uva...

Post subject: Reservations
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:52 pm 

Do you think that around dec 18 you need to have reservations at a hotel? I would rather take a bus from San Jose and find a place at that time. What do you think, are reservations advisable at that time of year?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:14 am 

There should always be something available before Christmas, but maybe not the nice places. Between the Europeans who go there every holiday and have the whole month off...and Costa Rica basically shuts down about then...there will be few of the nicer places left by Dec. 18 in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:36 am 

I spent two weeks in PV last may (2003) I have traveled through a lot of the carribien and this is by far my favorite place. I recommend La Costa De Papito cabanas. Awesome! Punta Uva is the most beautiful beach! Lots of hot locals....they like us young american surfers! ;) A plesant town of which most all speak english. Take a Quad tour throught the forest and a kyak trip! My favorite part of the country! Email me for more info if you wish!
M

Post subject: Puerto Viejes
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:28 am 

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
Please don't post another word or tell a soul about this beautiful place!!!. It is a place that has not been discovered by the main stream gringo crowd yet.

It reminds me of parts of Key West back in the 60's before all of the tourists, cement and asphalt, McD, BK, Taco Bell, and the rest of that American blight that seems to follow the Gringo wherever he goes.

There are numerous hotels and Cabinas for rent there. Most are in the 30-60 a nite range. . My suggestion is just to go there, find one you like and rent. I do not think you would need a reservation, as there are plenty of available rooms there. There a a couple of nice restaraunt/bars that have great cuisine at cheap prices

I took a GFE there for a few days last month, and that place was magical. From the terrific "Tahiti" like beaches, to the funky clubs and restaraunts at nite. Overall the people there are very nice, and seem comfortable with Ami's. Seems like so far, their experience with us doesn't include many "ugly American gringo assholes" that inevitably spoil most new places for the rest of us.
Go, enjoy, but keep your mouth shut! :P

McMonger

BTW although our illustrious senior Monger par excellence, the infamous T-Man doesn't know it yet, He just might be taking me there again in August to look seriously at a beach front Casa to buy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:56 pm 

SHHHHHHHHH!!!! Dont tell anyone...this part of the country has the best coastal real estate buys...but it's only for globally minded people who are not afraid of diversity and multi ethnic culture. Most of the typical gringo tourists will probably prefer the higher priced "white" communities of the Pacific. But if you like beauty, Caribbean laid back lifestyle, majority English speaking people around you, and artisitic culture...the south Caribbean is the BEST! If you want the typical gringo retirement community...this is not for you.

SHHHHHHHHH!!!! :wink: