www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Road to Monteverde
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:43 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

My 1st trip to C.R. was probably 6 years ago. I drove to Monteverde and remember that once I turned off the main highway the "road to Monteverde" was kind of treacherous". Seemed like it took 3 or 4 hours even though distancewise it wasn't that far. I haven't traveled that road since but plan to do so in a few months. Does anyone know whether that road is still the same as it was about 6 years ago or have there been any improvements made. Thx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:09 pm 

The "Infamous Road to Monteverde" is an interesting subject. There are actually 3 ways to go (via Sardinal, Lagartos and Las Juntas). They're all supposed to be roughly the same and quite treacherous, particularly during the rainy season. I don't know which route you took or what time of year or day, but none of them should take much more than 2 hours max once you turn off the Pan American Highway.

I last travelled to Sta Elena (Monteverde) via Lagartos by public bus this past November at the tail end of the rainy season. The ENTIRE trip from San Jose took less than 6 hours and that was only because there was an hour long traffic back-up on the highway down from San Jose due to some accident. Once we got to the Lagartos turnoff, the trip took less than 2 hours including a 15 minute rest stop and that was after dusk. Barring any traffic, rest stops or heavy downpours, I'd figure on 4 hrs for the whole trip (2.5hrs on the highway to the turn and another 1.5 up the gravel road to Sta Elena).

The time before I drove and took the first turnoff at Sardinal. This route meets up with the road from Lagartos part way up the hill, but I thought the first part was a little rougher than the route the bus took. Better to go the little extra distance on the Highway to Lagartos.

Next time I go, I plan to go by way of Las Juntas. This is definitely the longest route as measured in kilometers, but the portion of the road up to Las Juntas is supposed to be pretty good and there's a gold mine there that sounds like it would be an interesting place to visit.

One is always hearing rumors that there is a plan to improve the road up to Sta Elena. I wouldn't hold my breath. Even if it were true, the way public works projects go in CR it would be years before it was finished. The large and influential tour companies in Sta Elena would certainly love it as it would mean they could easily get large charter tour buses up the hill for day trips from Liberia and San Jose. But an equally if not more influential grass roots citizenry (and many smaller hoteliers) are strongly opposed to any change in the road. In their view, which I tend to agree with, the local habitat can barely handle the traffic it gets now. In fact some people call the park the "Monteverde CROWD Forest".

They also feel that day trippers are not the types of tourists they want anyway and that their area deserves at least a couple of days to see properly. Of course, I heard that last remark from the owner of a local hotel so there is a little vested bias there. But I also have to agree. The best wildlife viewing is at dusk and dawn and much would be missed if people could come up for just an afternoon. There is so much to see and do there that 2 nights is not really that bad a standard. The road sort of enforces that standard and barely keeps the crowds of tourists to a manageable level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:45 pm 

Excellent summary. Thanks for the feedback. I too agree that "day trippers" are a nuisance. To me it was such a relaxing place I wouldn't stay any less than 3 or 4 days.