www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:31 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

is Best Western a good hotel in CR. that is the only hotel avalable in april 1-3. is it close to most of the MPs thank you

Post subject: Best Western downtown
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:20 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

I like this hotel. You will get a lot of responses telling you that the location sucks, but if you take a taxi you will be fine. For me, walking during the day is OK, but some people will say take a taxi all the time. I like the hotel, the rooms are comfortable and quiet. I don't know how chica-friendly they are, but if you have a presentable chica, the worst that can happen would be a modest additional charge. Again, the hotel is very clean and quiet with very nice rooms and if you want there is a swimming pool and they have a breakfast also. It is in fact fairly close to some of the places like VIP # 1, Zona Blue, etc. If people talk you out of this hotel, consider various hotels in the Barrio Amon, starting with the Clarion Amon Plaza, but not limited to that. I stayed at a very comfortable hotel just a few doors down from the Clarion, for $50, but I can't remember the name! It's the Inca something or rather (sorry). But there are lots of others, including the Hemingway, etc, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:16 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I don't remember the street name, but almost none of the streets have signs anyway.
It's not a bad hotel, kind of old, rooms are okay.
Walking around during the day shouldn't be a problem,
but a taxi after dark is a very good idea.
They did/do have a $10 "guest fee".
Free breakfast is pretty good, but I was not impressed
with the other meals I had. A very basic direction from the
hotel to say the Blue Marlin or Key Largo...when you leave
the hotel and get to the street turn left, walk to the top of the
hill, and at the signal light turn right, you will pass the Holiday Inn,
the park will be on your left, if you look beyound the park you
will see a large pink building, inside that building is the Blue Marlin,
and across the street from that is the Key Largo, you are in the
center of the action. Now, if you wanted to go to Zona Blue,
turn left again when you leave the Best Western, right before
you get to the top of hill where the signal light is turn left,
Zona Blue will be down the hill at the next intersection on
your right (Blue house). If you continue down the hill from Zona Blue
you will run into the Clarion hotel on the right.
Depending on how fast you walk, it may take around 15 minutes
to walk to the Blue Marlin from the Best Western.
ShyOne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:57 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

The BW Downtown is in the "zona rojo". It's funny to see the look on the ticas faces when you say you are staying there.

The hotel is OK. Staff is friendly. They only charged me on chica fee for two chicas. Condones were delivered and free.

Van service, although free, can be a bit of a ripoff. The driver will try to take you to clubs where he earns a commission. Cab it at night. Walking in daytime should be alright.

Ciao,
Perrochico

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:00 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Stayed here last Trip( February) .. first two choices where full and trip was on short notice... pleasantly surprised... rooms fair, clean somewhat small BUT QUIET in the morning, breakfast so so but they do have wireless internet in the restaurant and a free internet compluter by front desk... was enjoyable laying around pool during the day with my chica ....
real hot gal ( Nicole) works various shifts at front desk... she was real conversant with me.... TILL I checked a chica in one afternoon... she was somewhat distant after that... oh well... :cry:

not a bad place to stay ...especially if you want to first in line ( Ahh yes I love Sandra) at 474 or make a quick walking trip to calle 6 as dusk..!!!l

only problem I had was at night and getting a cab on the street... most claimed "maria" was bad and wanted 1000 or 1500 colons to Del Rey on a 400 colon ride... they know the neighborhood is bad and I'm sure most Gringo go along with them.... they do seemed surprised when you get out of the cab at the corner and tell them to f off ... still better to pay the price than attempt to walk and pay the bigger price..

Peace Brothers...

PIDD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:00 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Pidd,

Quote:
only problem I had was at night and getting a cab on the street... most claimed "maria" was bad and wanted 1000 or 1500 colons to Del Rey on a 400 colon ride... they know the neighborhood is bad and I'm sure most Gringo go along with them.... they do seemed surprised when you get out of the cab at the corner and tell them to f off ... still better to pay the price than attempt to walk and pay the bigger price..

Great advice, hope all newbies read and take heed. 600 colones extra ($1.30) is worth the risk of walking? Don't think so.

alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.
Alex Levine