www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:01 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Delta is having somewhat of a fare sale for both miles and dollars, In September I can do Main Cabin for $594 RT from Columbus to SJO. And these are decent flights, 6 1/2 hours outbound and just over 8 hours on the return. Connecting Atlanta. This is almost half of what I was seeing a couple of months ago. I would imagine other markets with more competition would be a bit cheaper.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:29 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

That is a decent price don't forget to pack your rain jacket and Umbrella though. Few Expats I know in SJO always remind me try to wait until end of Oct.

My upcoming trip is pushing it close to that rainy part of the season just at the end of August, I was visiting same week last year and it only rained 1 day, but I will pack accordingly as well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:40 am 

I actually like the rainy season (most of the time). Mornings are usually decent, an afternoon torrent then the rain typically let's up in the evening. That said, I have been down there when it rained constantly for days.

I'm headed down on Sept 4, staying for 8 nights. First night at the Castillo, 3 nights in Jaco, then the last 4 back at the Castillo. Taking advantage of the $100 roundtrip transport to Jaco through the Castillo.

Whereas San Jose is navegable during the rain, Jaco has been known to flood pretty badly. I remember my first trip to Jaco., I was staying at the Mango Mar (used to be next door to the Cocal). They had to move me to a second floor room as the ground floor was under water.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:12 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

HD - I leave on the 29th so will just miss your arrival.

I really enjoy traveling the country for 2-3 days on each of my trips (NO JACO) and after paying rental car, lodging and the Chica fees, I don’t want to spend my PTO work in the rain, so for that reason I prefer to wait out Sept-Oct at least up to around Halloween.

Once I’m retired tho HD I have no doubt my POV will change.

Booked my next trip for Nov/Dec. I don't usually book my next trip prior to an upcoming trip and will usually wait until I return home, however I'm finding that the International flights seem to best when you can book 3-4 months in advance with Delta.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:13 am 

Totally understand. When I had limited time off from work I wanted to make each day count. Now that I go somewhere every month it's a lot easier to tolerate a rain day or two.

Spending the month of October in SEA and then CR in December for a week or so. Maybe see you then.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:58 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I know that a lot of you guys would rather be poked in the eye than fly Spirit, but they have some great fares once again. For instance, I booked a RT flight DFW/SJO/DFW in August for $237, and another one in September for $311. No bags, just the personal item, which is a small backpack that I can pack enough into for a 2-week trip.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:09 pm 

I would have no problem flying Spirit if I didn't have to make a connection. But for me, I need to use an airline that is going g to have some spare hardware at my connecting airport in case of problems. Heard too many horror stories about Spirit connections in FLL and Orlando.

That said, Delta stranded me in New York for two nights coming back from the DR waiting for a connecting flight home.

Post subject: Spirit DFW/SJO/DFW
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:48 pm 

Location: Sex Felony State (most other places p4p is just another day!)
Does it connect through FLL? I live in Austin and that Spirit flight must connect in FLL however Austin metro becoming larger and larger and ABIA adding more flights and doubling airport size next 5 years +/-.

I don't mind the rain at all, is only in the afternoon (like SOFLA) and coming from hot hell box TX with little to no rain the last 40 days is quite refreshing. :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:15 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

They connect thru either FLL or MCO. Depends on the time of day. I would rather have the return trip connect through MCO since Orlando C&I is faster and easier.

Loved it when they were flying direct out of Houston. I could drive down from Dallas on a Friday afternoon at 3 pm, catch the flight around 7pm and be at SL bt 11. The redeye back got me into Houston at 5:30 am and I could make it to work by 9am on Monday.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:32 am 

Location: Sex Felony State (most other places p4p is just another day!)
I've also been going to Monterrey, MEX (MTY) now that I live in TX and Spirit just launched a direct flight from Austin back in April. There is also Viva Aerobus direct from SAT to MTY.

There is so much demand for Costa Rica right now not just for us hobbyists that in time I believe there will be a direct flight from Austin to SJO! :D

I've had some really good pussies down in MTY! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:18 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Spirit is not at all a very popular airline here in Ohio with a very limited schedule, now l have read and also been told they A la carte you for everything after you pay their fare even heard they will charge for a boarding pass if you need to print at airport. :?

I also pack more than 2 days of clothes :P TETO

Spirit

1-2 flights a day to FLL
1 flight a day to ORL

So as the OP mentioned when something goes wrong with Spirit you’re screwed until at least the next day hopefully.

Delta

7-9 flights daily to ATL

I went with a Delta Am-EX CC because Delta provided the best schedule, route and fares for myself. I am now able to take advantage of 2 free bags as well. 1st bag with status and 2nd as Delta CC holder, as well when I purchase a main cabin seat this allows me to possibly get upgraded to Delta comfort+ or 1st class seats.

My Next trip Nov 26 thru Dec 5 the Delta flight is actually cheaper according to google flight search
Delta - $623 Basic Economy / $703 Main Cabin
Spirit – $665 + lots of fees

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:01 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Puro Party wrote:
I've also been going to Monterrey, MEX (MTY) now that I live in TX and Spirit just launched a direct flight from Austin back in April. There is also Viva Aerobus direct from SAT to MTY.

There is so much demand for Costa Rica right now not just for us hobbyists that in time I believe there will be a direct flight from Austin to SJO! :D

I've had some really good pussies down in MTY! :mrgreen:

If they start a direct flight from Austin the SJO I would be tempted to drive down there for the flight. I can cover 200 miles in 2 1/2 hours if it isn't rush hour.

Spirit flies Dallas to Cancun direct and the airfare is pretty cheap. My favorite Tica just moved there to be a nanny for her aunt and I plan to visit her every month. We both love tequila. Sometimes the stars align and things just fall into place.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:32 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Just booked my flight to SJO from PWM for Halloween. Been monitoring for a few weeks and today Delta had a round trip for under $500 (around $400 for Basic). Some flights for the same dates were around $2,500 - Crazy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:26 pm 

That is an awesome price from Portland. Great find.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:45 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I’ve been utilizing Google flights, as you can set up getting notifications for certain dates when the fares change. I do find this very helpful.

I got lucky and bumped from main cabin to 1st class yesterday from ATL to SJO, which I sort of find odd considering so many people have Delta status in Atlanta, I may have to consider more Sunday morning flights.

Arrived at 11:55 Got through immigration in 20 minutes and at my apartment by 1 pm 8)