www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:44 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Boynton wrote:
Netgems wrote:
I bet the view is breathtaking, especially at night. If I go at night, I better get ready, I'm usually shut in after 6 pm, plenty of mischief to do in the daytime...

Plan on needing reservations and avoid the weekends. A lot of the draw for this place is the view and the dining room can be a bit cavernous. You could end up overlooking the National Stadium or the Scotiabank. Cocktails will run about c10mil ($20) and an Imperial c4mil ($8). Dinners run from c15mil ($30) for a burger to c35mil ($70) for an imported steak. I had my hovia make the reservations and she got good seats, dropped c150mil ($300) on dinner and drinks.

Later in the evening, a good place for drinks and apps. Nice for a splurge or expense account. Food is better at Enboca, but no view.

I believe you may have heard of my legendary frugality. I'll take mine there with two bottled waters and we'll split the burger and snap pictures of the view and either leave or get thrown out...

I believe you're also aware that we're both experienced in getting thrown out of places, both having been thrown out of HDR about five years ago.

Two separate occasions, her getting in a fight with two crack hoz, knocking out one to the floor unconscious before she hit the floor with one punch and sending the other one scurrying.

With me, two weeks later slamming a 5 foot 6 150 pound new inexperienced arrogant security guard to the wall repeatedly for whacking my knuckles with his little stick...

Both almost in the exact same location by the back door by the Blue Marlin.

Fate told me we were right for each other...

When she told me of her incident...it was then I realized I was in love with her...

We've been together over five years now, love finds a way...

It's ESPECIALLY romantic because that's where I met her...November, 2017...our anniversary...

I remember it like it was yesterday, between the din of the noise of music and conversations, glasses clinking, hoz n johns talking, her face appeared to me through the fog, and I sensed something magical was beginning, it was so different from so many there I had mere fleeting interludes with, I realized she was different...I realized she was "the one"...my suddenly rapidly thumping heart told me...

I sensed in the future, she would belong to me...right then and there...

I don't quite know how to explain it...I just KNEW...

I can still shut my eyes and see her face, from that magical first moment, her sparkling dancing eyes, her captivating smile...her triple natural D's...all calling to me...I remember her from those crazy days...crazy days...crazy days...

Hopefully nothing of that sort would occur for us at that fancy joint, but if it did, hopefully before paying the bill...

Last edited by Netgems on Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:39 am 

Netgems wrote:
Boynton wrote:
Netgems wrote:
I bet the view is breathtaking, especially at night. If I go at night, I better get ready, I'm usually shut in after 6 pm, plenty of mischief to do in the daytime...

Plan on needing reservations and avoid the weekends. A lot of the draw for this place is the view and the dining room can be a bit cavernous. You could end up overlooking the National Stadium or the Scotiabank. Cocktails will run about c10mil ($20) and an Imperial c4mil ($8). Dinners run from c15mil ($30) for a burger to c35mil ($70) for an imported steak. I had my hovia make the reservations and she got good seats, dropped c150mil ($300) on dinner and drinks.

Later in the evening, a good place for drinks and apps. Nice for a splurge or expense account. Food is better at Enboca, but no view.

I believe you may have heard of my legendary frugality. I'll take mine there with two bottled waters and we'll split the burger and snap pictures of the view and either leave or get thrown out...

I believe you're also aware that we're both experienced in getting thrown out of places, both having been thrown out of HDR about five years ago.

Two separate occasions, her getting in a fight with two crack hoz, knocking out one to the floor unconscious before she hit the floor with one punch and sending the other one scurrying.

With me, two weeks later slamming a 5 foot 6 150 pound new inexperienced arrogant security guard to the wall repeatedly for whacking my knuckles with his little stick...

When she told me of her incident...it was then I realized I was in love with her...

It's ESPECIALLY romantic because that's where I met her...November, 2017...our anniversary...

I remember it like it was yesterday, between the din of the noise of music and conversations, glasses clinking, hoz n johns talking, her face appeared to me through the fog, and I sensed something magical was beginning, it was so different from so many there I had mere fleeting interludes with, I realized she was different...I realized she was "the one"...my suddenly rapidly thumping heart told me...

I can still shut my eyes and see her face, from that magical first moment, her sparkling dancing eyes, her captivating smile...her triple natural D's...all calling to me...I remember her from those crazy days...crazy days...crazy days...

Hopefully nothing of that sort would occur for us at that fancy joint, but if it did, hopefully before paying the bill...

How phucking romantic!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:15 am 

Hopefully nothing of that sort would occur for us at that fancy joint, but if it did, hopefully before paying the bill...[/quote]

"The Cat" opined;

How phucking romantic![/quote]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, it's the best I can do for being here...and besides, I didn't blow $20,000 on her and get "nothing", so...there's that...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:29 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Are you confused yet ?

No Surprise you got mixed responses if it's the Hilton Garden Sabana you are asking about ? then here is my 2 cents

I regularly visit and eat at the Cosi' and smashburger restaurants downstairs when in town and I do see a few working girls walking in and out, now they could be registered as mentioned in thread, but there is definitely some low key very discreet mongering going on here at this hotel.

It's also about perception IMO to the hotel for example, how does she look and dress and how does she carry herself, is the age gap between you and her obvious all these things you need to consider.

The Gran Hilton I can verify has a very nice breakfast spread !

If this is your 1st trip and you want to take advantage of Hilton properties as mentioned, than I would recommended considering the short term hotel to have your fun and if you find a girl you like and Vibe with maybe then you can register her.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:45 pm 

TF74 wrote:
I regularly visit and eat at the Cosi' and smashburger restaurants downstairs when in town and I do see a few working girls walking in and out, now they could be registered as mentioned in thread, but there is definitely some low key very discreet mongering going on here at this hotel.

In the same complex, between the Smashburger and the Cosi is a Juan Valdez coffee shop. A little further down Rohrmoser Blvd is a Soda Tapia (Tico diner with an old Steak-n-Shake decor (good for breakfast, lunch, ice cream). Across the street is a strip mall with a Quiznos, Matsuri (sushi), Pane e Vino (Italian) and Giacomin (Coffee & Pastries) there is also a Pharmacy Market. Adjacent to the strip mall is a Fresh Market. These are different from the Fresh Markets in the US. Same chain, but much smaller, like a 7-Eleven. Good selection of groceries, but also two inside ATMs both of which dispense dollars and colones; Davivienda which charges $9/c4mil but has a seamless English language interface and BAC which is in spanish but has a $4.50 charge.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:29 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

The Fresh Market I find super convenient for daily fresh bakery items and small necessities.

Is the Soda you talk about the one caddy corner from the fresh market ? I believe it has a patio too?

I’m a pretty picky eater with a sensitive stomach so tend to stick with meals and foods I am more familiar with, hence all the gringo food spots mentioned. Not a huge fan of Soda’s from some past experiences while traveling in the countryside and a Soda being the only option but might consider their Ice Cream. 8)

Sushi sounds more intriguing might give that spot a try next trip.

Few more Restaurants in Sabana area:

On the last trip I visited for the 1st time a place called Nana’s Falafel and Juice bar, not sure the Calle as Waze guided me there, Chicken Shawarma and side of Hummus was my order both very good and I look forward to returning to try something different.

The Restaurant next to Ex-Pres Oscar Sanchez House called Parc Nunciantura, I find is trying for a more South Fl club atmosphere and the food (Fusion) was IMO below average for their dinner prices, this was more of a Instagram social photo type place vibe, the plating looked cool but small portions too and I honestly felt out of place with my Chica, I have heard from another high class Puta though that the brunch is good there, so I might be open to return for brunch.

Furca a nice upscale steakhouse, I enjoyed the atmosphere here but didn’t see the value in the food for the prices they charge, honestly though I much rather just go to the Outback in Escazu I know what to expect there. I did, however, find very cool the different types of in-house made salts they had to offer.

Tierra Sur Argentino just down from the Plaza Major is a great little spot and the atmosphere here is very laid back and chill, I recommend the outdoor seating, lots of options on their menu with decent prices and portions, my observations while frequently visiting here, this is a family employee run business and very nice people I might add, so I personally find it very easy to support a place like this.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:20 pm 

The 2 time ex-president (and Nobel Peace Prize winner) is known as Oscar Arias. His brother Rodrigo is the current head of the legislature. Sanchez is their mother's maiden name. I agree that the restaurant next to his house (Parc) is too expensive and a bit pretentious. There is a recently opened food-truck court right next to that called Inedito
https://instagram.com/parcnunciatura
https://instagram.com/inedito.cr

The soda I mentioned is Soda Tapia. It is a CR chain with a long history and is not your abuela's soda. Their locations have a distinctive red and white stripe motif with chrome fixtures. Most visitors will be familiar with the flagship location on the east end of Parque Sabana. Both are open 7 days a week. The Sabana location is open until 1:30am and is a good stop for late flight arrivals. They also host occasional classic car rallies. The Rohrmoser location closes at 7pm.
https://instagram.com/sodatapia

A bit further up toward Plaza Mayor is Cafe St Honore adjacent to the Prisma Dental building with the Sarretto Select on the ground floor. I like the Croque Madame and the Huevos Benedictos (weekends only). Good place for afternoon coffee also great baked goods.
https://instagram.com/cafe_st.honore

Just past the Tierra Sur is a little place called Cafe a la Moda which has great breakfast and some really good sandwiches (Pulled Pork and English Dip). Across the side street is La Casa del Habanos (official cigar shop) which serves top shelf liquor. It is the only other place besides Havana Humidor where you can smoke a cigar inside.
https://instagram.com/cafe_a_la_moda
https://lacasadelhabanocr.com/

I like Furca, but to each their own. You might try them for lunch, their specials run about c10mil and include things like chateaubriand. Next door is Nunc, a cocktail bar with small plates. Next to this is Mocapan, a coffee shop + german bakery.
https://instagram.com/furcacr
https://instagram.com/nunc.cr
https://instagram.com/mocapancr

On the cross street from Oscar Arias house and the Chinese Embassy is Batanga Gastro Bar (calle 78). This is where I would take a 'date' rather than Parc. The food, atmosphere, and pricing is more casual. The usually have live entertainment on weekends. A bit further down calle 78 and directly across the Cosmopolitan is the restaurant Atipico which used to run a coworking special where you could sit at a table and use the WiFi all day in a garden setting. I forget the price, but it was reasonable and included a midmorning coffee+boca, lunch, and an afternoon cocktail+app. I don't know if that is still an offer, but I used it about a year ago when the water was out at my condo due to construction.
https://instagram.com/batangacr
https://instagram.com/atipicocr

The nice thing about this entire area is its safety and walkability. There are a lot of embassies, the Papal Nuncio's residence (hence the designation Nunciatura), and the offices of the OIJ (CR's version of the FBI). This certainly is a distinction from the area around the Gran Curio (Hilton) which, being downtown, gets sketchy when the sun goes down.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:12 am 

Don't forget IL PADRINO, across from Plaza Mayor. I grew up in my family Italian restaurant first generation American and unimpressed with 75% of Italian restaurants in America and 95% in Costa Rica.

This one is amazing. It's pricy but elegant high ceilings, great service, classy joint, excellent thin crust pizza, lunch not outrageous, they have 2 inch thick steaks for you steak lovers. Decadent...

Only take your top hoz there...

https://ilpadrinocr.com/PDF-Flip/index.html

Outside seating, top shelf.

Besides my kitchen, the only Italian place I'll go to in CR except Taormina, decent pizza too, but that's for ho watching...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:27 am 

Rumor has it that your kitchen also provides top 'ho watching'. Just bring your own napkins.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:14 pm 

Boynton wrote:
Rumor has it that your kitchen also provides top 'ho watching'. Just bring your own napkins.

Since many of my fellow mongers take their preferred hoz to elegant dining establishments, parting with sometimes enough jingle and folding loot they possibly could have used more wisely to get another ho after the first encounter of the original ho for an encore, dessert or nightcap, in keeping with my dedication, and well earned reputation to frugality, I treat them to elegant gourmet dining at a fraction of the cost.

One particular ho, I have on occasion offered to take her to any restaurant of her choosing after a particularly excellent session to a dining out affair, but she insists no, she can scam any other loose with his capital funds john to go to any top restaurant of her choosing, but she declares she much prefers my cooking...

Yes, I walk and strut, amongst the gods...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:54 pm 

TF74 wrote:
Are you confused yet ? No Surprise you got mixed responses if it's the Hilton Garden Sabana you are asking about ?

I believe the OP was asking about the Hilton San Jose La Sabana, the newer one located across the street from the stadium (where El Chicote used to be). Easy to mix them up, given they're both Hilton tower hotels located 1 block apart... :)

P.S. No one (except me) has any love for El Novillo Alegre down the street from Hilton Garden? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:15 pm 

Miamiheller wrote:
P.S. No one (except me) has any love for El Novillo Alegre down the street from Hilton Garden? :mrgreen:

Also failed to mention the Mickey D's across the street and the nearby KFC and Taco Smell.

The Novillo Alegre is CR's version of a Longhorn steakhouse. There are at least a dozen locations in the GAM. They are a great deal if you have a BAC credit card, they often have discounts of 30% to 50%. My favorite is the Plaza Freses location (near Plaza del Sol).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:12 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Miamiheller wrote:
TF74 wrote:
Are you confused yet ? No Surprise you got mixed responses if it's the Hilton Garden Sabana you are asking about ?

I believe the OP was asking about the Hilton San Jose La Sabana, the newer one located across the street from the stadium (where El Chicote used to be). Easy to mix them up, given they're both Hilton tower hotels located 1 block apart... :)

MH - I’m Completely unfamiliar with this other Hilton location, the Hilton Garden across from McDonalds was the location I am referring too and I’m not 100% sure, but I believe the Garden’s hotel lobby is not even on the main ground level.

From your description it sounds like I have probably driven, or taken a Uber past this Hilton location and not realized it, I will definitely be more aware of it when I arrive in August.

Novillo Alegre thanks for this recommendation. Do they import there steaks ? Any discounts for AMEX ?

I only knew the Ex-Pres name because several uber drivers have pointed out he lives there, I guess it’s accurate info.

I ordered a Pizza 1 night from Il Padrino on your recommendation Netgems is was a decent change from the other options in Costa Rica

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:13 pm 

TF74 wrote:

MH - I’m Completely unfamiliar with this other Hilton location, the Hilton Garden across from McDonalds was the location I am referring too and I’m not 100% sure, but I believe the Garden’s hotel lobby is not even on the main ground level.

From your description it sounds like I have probably driven, or taken a Uber past this Hilton location and not realized it, I will definitely be more aware of it when I arrive in August.

Novillo Alegre thanks for this recommendation. Do they import there steaks ? Any discounts for AMEX ?

I only knew the Ex-Pres name because several uber drivers have pointed out he lives there, I guess it’s accurate info.

I ordered a Pizza 1 night from Il Padrino on your recommendation Netgems is was a decent change from the other options in Costa Rica

The Hilton Sabana is the highrise directly across from the National Stadium on Av. de las Americas. It is also the tallest building in CR. It is only about 200mts from the Hilton Garden.

The Novillo Alegre chain (which advertises itself as an Argentinian Parradilla) does serve imported beef, but from the USA, not Argentina. Nor is it all-you-can-eat like Picanha Grill (opposite side of the park). Novillo has a decent food and is within easy walking distance of both Hiltons. Aqui Es is another steakhouse nearby.

The ex-Pres does still have his office and a residence there. It is weird to see him sometimes getting into his car and going about his business. Across Bv. de Rohrmoser from his house are the Chinese and Japanese embassies (look for the flags), down the same block is the Qatar embassy. There are a lot of embassy and government ministry offices in the area. There is a lot less formality with the diplomatic staff here. Several countries maintain apartments for embassy staff in the nearby condos. Almost all of the staff have a working knowledge of English. Hanging out at Mocapan on the weekends can make for good people watching. I occasionally bang a chica I met there whose day job is in the Spanish Embassy.

Besides Il Padrino (Godfather's), also nearby is Papa Johns, Dominos, Pizza Hut, Little Ceasars and Ready Pizza. There is even a California Pizza Kitchen in Multiplaza Escazu that will deliver via UberEats. My favorite pizza in CR is Filippo (locations in Avenida Escazu and Centro La Paco) or Mozza in Escalante. Wood fired brick oven pizza.