www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HDR or Taormina?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:59 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

I used to visit CR four times a year between 2010 and 2020. While the scene has declined over the years I just love visiting CR and spending time with Ticas.

My last trip to CR was the first week of March 2020 (I was lucky to get out as flights started canceling that week due to the start of the pandemic shutdown). After more than three years, I finally booked flights to CR for the last week of April (wow, round trip NYC-CR tickets are now $780 which is $230 more than my March 2020 tickets).

On previous trips, I always stayed at the HDR. While the HDR accommodations were lacking I enjoyed being in the middle of the action, especially the evening action. Some comments on this board indicate that the HDR is dead during the day but has some evening action, the SL is good in the afternoon and the Taormina is good in the early evening (8:00PMish).

I plan to make a hotel reservation soon at either the HDR or the Taormina and would greatly appreciate if someone could share their thoughts on which evening scene is better; the HDR or the Taormina.

Post subject: Re: HDR or Taormina?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:35 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Unfortunately you are probably going to get conflicting recommendations. All of my info is only current as of two months ago.

Personally I prefer the bar scene at the Del Rey over that of the Taormina. The Sports Bar at the Taormina is incredibly noisy with incoherent electronic music. Also the drinks are much more expensive in the Taormina. I caveat this with the fact that I have never actually spent any time in the new Jungle Bar there. When I was in San Jose a couple of months ago it was either dead or no people down there. Also there have been reports of check padding but it has never happened to me but I pay after each order.

The Del Rey bar has surprisingly reasonable drink prices at least for beers and well liquor. The music is at a tolerable volume level so you can have a conversation and they play a lot of classic rock in addition to the latino stuff.

As far as talent goes, I'm going to give the nod to the Taormina. The younger, hotter chicas seem to start their evening out there though many will migrate to the Rey later on if the business is slow at the Taormina. Early evenings the Rey will have a few women, mostly Milf types but gets crowded around 10 or 10:30. Taormina is pretty steady from the early evening until late.

Both charge a guest fee. I prefer the rooms in the Taormina to the Rey.

If given a choice, I usually opt for the SL or the Castillo for sleeping (no guest fees) and the Rey and Taormina for hunting.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:35 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Thoma wrote:
I used to visit CR four times a year between 2010 and 2020. While the scene has declined over the years I just love visiting CR and spending time with Ticas.

My last trip to CR was the first week of March 2020 (I was lucky to get out as flights started canceling that week due to the start of the pandemic shutdown). After more than three years, I finally booked flights to CR for the last week of April (wow, round trip NYC-CR tickets are now $780 which is $230 more than my March 2020 tickets).

On previous trips, I always stayed at the HDR. While the HDR accommodations were lacking I enjoyed being in the middle of the action, especially the evening action. Some comments on this board indicate that the HDR is dead during the day but has some evening action, the SL is good in the afternoon and the Taormina is good in the early evening (8:00PMish).

I plan to make a hotel reservation soon at either the HDR or the Taormina and would greatly appreciate if someone could share their thoughts on which evening scene is better; the HDR or the Taormina.

Stay at the Sportsmens or the Castillo. I wouldn't even bother with the Taormina at all since there are too many negatives to even list about the lodging at that place.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:52 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

HD, thank you for the thoughtful response. Since both the HDR and Taormina seem to have similar evening activity levels, I will probable split my time between both hotels.

Papito, thank you for the recommendation but the SL and Castillo are too low key for my taste.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:34 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

I recently saw on the ISG San Jose thread a post by someone who claimed to be in San Jose March 19th, 20th and 22nd and stated that the "HDR bar is currently closed."

Can anyone currently in San Jose confirm this?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:20 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Thoma wrote:
I recently saw on the ISG San Jose thread a post by someone who claimed to be in San Jose March 19th, 20th and 22nd and stated that the "HDR bar is currently closed."

Can anyone currently in San Jose confirm this?
The HDR bar was closed for a few days, but they are back open. One of the bartenders said there was a business name change and they needed to get a permit, which is now done.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:30 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Papito wrote:
Stay at the Sportsmens or the Castillo. I wouldn't even bother with the Taormina at all since there are too many negatives to even list about the lodging at that place.
Can you share your list of negatives? I stayed at the Taormina for the first time and have very positive experiences. Really nice rooms for a monger hotel, excellent breakfast (included), solid wifi, and decent experience with staff. For me the only cons are the tica fee (which I was aware of) and bar noise.

Have stayed at the Castillo before. Love the staff, laid-back atmosphere, no tica fee, and free laundry, but rooms are run down and bad wifi in areas.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:09 pm 

HDR closed
https://ticotimes.net/2023/03/30/infamo ... uthorities

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:16 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Wait … What about the name change and Info from the bartender :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:18 pm 

So far, only reported in Tico Times. Nothing La Nacion or CRHoy. I'll see it it makes TV News at noon. Suspiciously close to April Fools Day.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:28 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Wow, although I can't say I'm surprised! Hoping it's just an April fool's joke. I was just there!!!