www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:22 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Returned a few days ago from primera viaje to the San Jose scene. Will be posting a more detailed trip report as I get time and thoughts together, and will post a day trip / tour report in the non-gulch stuff section, too.
First, though, regarding accomodations:
I stayed at the Sportsmen's Lodge, and has been noted by others here, that was a really good choice. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Bill and his entire staff are really great people - super friendly, competent, and helpful to a T. Also, note that at Sportsmen's there are absolutely no hassles or fees or other jive-ass problems related to bringing guests to your room. (Just remember to ask for a couple of extra towels if you might need them. By the way, each time I asked for more towels, somebody or another got them for me in about 20 seconds. No problema.)

Food:
The ceviche in the bar was so good that I ended up not ever trying any of the other dishes on the menu, but everything else I saw come out of the kitchen looked and smelled great. Also, the very good coffee and fruit put out in the mornings was just the ticket for me!

Room:
My room was very clean and very nicely furnished. Some of the furniture was really beautiful wood - antique looking. More than one of my lady guests commented with pleasure on the home-like feel of the room, vs. say, the more motel 6 feel of some other places. Also, there was always plenty of hot water. It did take quite a long time for adjustments of the hot/cold knobs in the shower to have the desired effect, but I figured that if that was my only water complaint in Central America, I was doing damn good.

One tip:
If your room is next to the really nice courtyard area, get Bill or Ray to show you where the second lounge-type area is - you go past the desk and take a right into the area that doesn't look like there's a lot back there. It turns out that there's a sort of living room area back there with sofas, a TV, etc. This area is likely to be quieter than the courtyard next to the bar. One afternoon I wanted to rest up and read a book while there were a bunch of people watching a stock car race on the TVs in the courtyard. It got pretty noisy, and I didn't know about the other area where I could have had more quiet. Of course, I didn't ask until later - duh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:31 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

I am so glad to be reading all these great reports....I have two trips coming up in the next 6 weeks, and both of them I have reservations at the SL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:24 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Traveler: Well reported and well said! You forgot to mention Karol and Margritte (although Heidi is mi favorita!!), and yes Violetta is as sweet as they come.

JunFan: You will not be disappointed whatsoever! Bill's place is truly like "coming home" as you are treated with an overabundance of hospitality. I thank my lucky stars that I will be "back home" in mid April!!!

Pax,
Sluthog

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:17 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

How far is this from the Del Rey and stuff?

Post subject: Don't forget Ray
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:39 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Kudos to Ray at the SL. I haven't even visited CR and SL yet (I'm scheduled for next month) and Ray at the SL has been extremely helpful to me. So, Ray, here's a thumbs up for you, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:45 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Do all the rooms have washroom ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:04 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Joker99 wrote:
Do all the rooms have washroom ?

http://www.sportsmenscr.com/