www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:37 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Hi guys,

I'll be staying mostly at the Castillo, but weekend nights of March 10 and 11 want to stay at the Cocal I believe. I can get a discounted ride from staying at the Castillo and think two nights at the Cocal is probably enough. I have stayed there twice before but that was 2015 and 2016. Once was poolside and once was "up front."

I just sent them an email and was quoted $250 a night for a "deluxe ocean front room." I'm only going to be there two nights and I'd like a relatively quiet room, safety, etc. I'm not sure what category the room was that I had "up front" before.

Any ideas, guys?? Any certain room number I should ask for when reserving? Cancellation policy? I did get their "reservation form." but don't see a cancellation policy on it or on their web site.

Thanks for your help.

R

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:00 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

When in doubt, book the cheapest. You could also stay at the Blue Marlin 50 yards away for half the price and have the same results.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:31 pm 

LocoGringo wrote:
When in doubt, book the cheapest. You could also stay at the Blue Marlin 50 yards away for half the price and have the same results.

Thanks. Is it guest friendly and a safe walk?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:44 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Yes it is guest friendly and as close as you can get to Cocal as far as hotels go. They also have Republic nightclub there for late night fun.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:50 pm 

LocoGringo wrote:
Yes it is guest friendly and as close as you can get to Cocal as far as hotels go. They also have Republic nightclub there for late night fun.

A safe walk at night with a guest from Cocal? Hmm...I was just reading some reviews where the music is deafaning for trying to sleep. Might be good for a nightclub though. Are the ocean front or courtyard rooms at the Cocal reasonably quiet? I know the poolside are pretty noisy with the music playing, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:03 am 

I guess what I’m looking for is a room at the Cocal that is quieter than the poolside ones. Can anyone help me out?!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:31 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

The Courtyard rooms are the cheapest. Should be relatively quiet but if you are near the entrance, you may hear some noise from the women waiting outside and those folks walking by on their way to the bar. Also should be somewhat safer as there is security at the hotel entrance though I don't know how much help they might be if you really needed them.

The beach rooms again should be pretty quiet though you do get people hanging around and drinking, possibly outside your room enjoying the beach and catching a smoke (though they are supposed to be off property to smoke). The more they drink, the louder they get. And I wouldn't venture too far out onto the beach at night. Plenty of shady characters.

Personally, I would try the Blue Marlin if the cost is significantly lower. But I am biased, I really don't like the Cocal, the bar or the hotel. The women in the bar seem like they just want to get you in to a room and get finished as fast as possible. If the Republik nightclub at the Blue Marlin (never been there) is decent, you might never need to venture to the Cocal in the evening though the Cocal pool bar is pretty good in the daytime. I always have enjoyed interacting with women in regular bars and clubs, especially where they can dance as you get the opportunity to at least get an idea of their personality. That's why the Key Largo in San Jose in the old days was one of my favorite places to go.

Otherwise I would opt for the Courtyard unless there isn't much of a price difference from the beach room.