www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:32 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Heads up to those heading to Jaco and elsewhere in the country.

https://ticotimes.net/2022/09/26/panana ... ree-months

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:21 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

This is unwelcomed news for me, but thanks for the heads up!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:09 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

That is going to kill Jaco tourism once the word gets out if the delays end up really being that bad.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:37 pm 

Harddrive43228 wrote:
That is going to kill Jaco tourism once the word gets out if the delays end up really being that bad.

Doesn't say how bad that Hwy 27 is, but it does not sound good.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:19 pm 

If you follow the local press, there were 9 national highway closings this morning. There has also been major road damage due to the lack of road maintenance since the pandemic. Add to that the lack of vehicle inspections (none at all for almost 6 months) and imagine the number of faulty brakes and bald tires on the road this rainy season. You will find a lot of coverage in CRHoy and La Nacion, but the gringo press glosses over it so as not to upset tourism.

What we need now is a good taxi/bus strike.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:11 pm 

Boynton wrote:
If you follow the local press, there were 9 national highway closings this morning. There has also been major road damage due to the lack of road maintenance since the pandemic. Add to that the lack of vehicle inspections (none at all for almost 6 months) and imagine the number of faulty brakes and bald tires on the road this rainy season. You will find a lot of coverage in CRHoy and La Nacion, but the gringo press glosses over it so as not to upset tourism.

Won't matter to me, where I live I can walk to Walmart, Auto Mercado, Mas Y Manos, two other smaller CR ''supermarkets", numerous restaurants, pharmacies and other businesses and even an MP.

Bring it on!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:23 pm 

Netgems wrote:
Boynton wrote:

Won't matter to me, where I live I can walk to Walmart, Auto Mercado, Mas Y Manos, two other smaller CR ''supermarkets", numerous restaurants, pharmacies and other businesses and even an MP.

Yea, but you are ground floor :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:46 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

The nightmare is for the families of those 9 people that lost their lives. Bless them all !

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:00 pm 

TF74 wrote:
The nightmare is for the families of those 9 people that lost their lives. Bless them all !

You said it, Tiny Tim. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:10 pm 

I just spoke with someone who made the drive to Jaco today and they said no issues, normal trip... So hopefully that holds true.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:40 pm 

Kbdb2488 wrote:
I just spoke with someone who made the drive to Jaco today and they said no issues, normal trip... So hopefully that holds true.

The road collapse was on the InterAmerican Highway and it will be shut down at least 3 months. This is the TOLL FREE route to the coast used by locals, freight, and economy busses. Route 27 which has TOLLS sustained some routine damage that was quickly cleared. Currently, there is little effect for tourists willing and used to taking Route 27.

Freight haulers trying to go to the port at Puntarenas are phucked. There are a lot of local traffic snarls around Atenas and San Ramon. These don't directly impact San Jose to Jaco traffic.

There is no money to quickly repair the road systems here. The government and businesses are discussing the removal or reduction of Route 27 tolls. If that happens, the prognosticators are predicting that all the traffic usually on the Inter American Highway will overwhelm the system. The Route 27 tolls go to a company called Global Via to keep Route 27 maintained. Their position is that if the tolls are waived, they can't maintain the one working highway to the coast. They are also concerned that all the additional traffic will tear up the highway which was designed more to be commuters/tourist rather than heavy freight.

What is clear driving one day could be a nightmare the next. Right now, Uber is quoting 53mil for a 2:15 one way trip from the SL to the Cocal. The quote is 83mil for UberXL.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:44 pm 

Boynton wrote:
Kbdb2488 wrote:

The road collapse was on the InterAmerican Highway and it will be shut down at least 3 months. This is the TOLL FREE route to the coast used by locals, freight, and economy busses. Route 27 which has TOLLS sustained some routine damage that was quickly cleared. Currently, there is little effect for tourists willing and used to taking Route 27.

Freight haulers trying to go to the port at Puntarenas are phucked. There are a lot of local traffic snarls around Atenas and San Ramon. These don't directly impact San Jose to Jaco traffic.

There is no money to quickly repair the road systems here. The government and businesses are discussing the removal or reduction of Route 27 tolls. If that happens, the prognosticators are predicting that all the traffic usually on the Inter American Highway will overwhelm the system. The Route 27 tolls go to a company called Global Via to keep Route 27 maintained. Their position is that if the tolls are waived, they can't maintain the one working highway to the coast. They are also concerned that all the additional traffic will tear up the highway which was designed more to be commuters/tourist rather than heavy freight.

What is clear driving one day could be a nightmare the next. Right now, Uber is quoting 53mil for a 2:15 one way trip from the SL to the Cocal. The quote is 83mil for UberXL.

Thank you Boynton for providing much more valuable intel on this than anything else on the internet. Will likely ask for an update in the next few weeks. Much appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:10 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Here's another eye opener regarding road conditions and driving in CR.

https://ticotimes.net/2022/09/27/drivin ... iny-season

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:31 pm 

Bring it on!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:[/quote]

Yea, but you are ground floor :lol:[/quote]

Problem? Solution!

I'm also betting a good Tico engineer can install a hydraulic lift to hoist a high rise dweller back up!

https://suresafety.com/high-rise-escape-system.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:04 pm 

Lazy Limp Dick wrote:
Boynton wrote:
Netgems Likes Fat Chicas wrote:

Yea, but you are ground floor :lol:

Problem? Solution!

I'm also betting a good Tico engineer can install a hydraulic lift to hoist a high rise dweller back up!

https://suresafety.com/high-rise-escape-system.html

i got it covered.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P2FMMZJ