www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Arriving at SJ Airport
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:41 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Would someone describe (for a newbie) what its like to fly into the SJ airport? Is it mad house around 1pm on Tuesdays when air transat from Canada lands. Is it like typical airports where there's 3 deep of locals trying to fight for your business?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:59 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Should be pretty tranquil, usually is anyway. You won't get ganged up on by touts etc like some foreign airports. If no one is picking you up just get an orange taxi and no worries. If you smoke or drink hit the duty free shop(s) upstairs before you leave, cheapest place to obtain alcohol and tobacco etc.
PAX,
Sluthog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:51 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

SJO is one of easiest fastest airports in the world to navigate. Only touting will be for a taxi but since they controlled by the government no problem, just make sure you pay the dispatcher, $12.00 US. The cabs are orange.

DO NOT change money at the booth as you exit Customs. It is such a rip off and causing so much discontent the Airport Authority is going to post signs with the official BCR rate for that day in plain view of arriving passengers.

If you want to change money at the airport (not necessary can wait until you get to your hotel) DO USE the bank on the departure level.

alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.
Alex Levine

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:17 pm 

Myrivers:
Airport arrival -- no problem. As you leave you arrival gate follow the signs to immigration (in moust cases to your left ). You will make a right into a hallway and a left into a large room where you will find the lines for immigration. If you're lucky they will only be three or four people in each line if you're not console yourself with your 15 minute wait by telling yourself my luggage won't be here for another 30 minutes anyway. Immigration is very simple just giving your passport smile and say thank you. From immigration you go downstairs to the luggage area. In most cases I find I wait longer for my luggage than I do for immigration. Once you have your luggage you will see customs to the right of where you came in . In most cases customs will be no problem they would just wave you through. Once you leave customs to your right you will see some glass windows approach them and to your right there will be a set of two doors where someone may or may not check your luggage tag. Once you get past this exit there will usually be a local wearing a neat white shirt that will ask you if you need a taxi. He will take you to the taxi stand you will see just off to the right. You pay $12 and get a ticke that you give to your driver who will take you to your hotel. I usually give the driver $2 tip.
Lee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:26 pm 

Came back last night. We were the only flight arriving and I was one of the first 20 or so off the plane. Ran to immigration and went through in like 2 min. Since I never check a bag, I was the first through customs baggage xray and the guy waved me right through. Went outside, to the taxi kisok and paid my 12.00 and was home in my apartment exactly 45 min. after the plane landed! (zero traffic last night) Best time yet!
LVSteve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:35 am 

Had a very similar experience 2 weeks ago. Plane landed at 9:10 PM, was second person in immigration, went to the duty free bought my 8 liters, claimed my baggage, breezed trough customs. Had called my driver after shopping at the duty free, went outside he arrived in about 3 minutes.
Home at 9:50 PM, total time from gate arrival to home arrival 40 minutes. Try that at any US airport.

alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.
Alex Levine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:15 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

I have always had a very positive experience at the SJO airport...

It is awesome that you can go from wheels down to ground zero in less than an hour.