www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Avianca Airlines Canada
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:43 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Greeting from GWN Eh!, I'm debating on a Oct trip but very few flights operating out of Toronto YYZ. Never flown on
Avianca before. They have a direct flight but with something called a "technical stop"
What the heck is that?

17:15
Toronto
Toronto Pearson Airport
7h 45m
(technical stop)
23:00
San Jose, Costa Rica
Costa Rica, Juan Santamaria Airport

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:36 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

A stop where no passengers or luggage are loaded/unloaded. Usually for refueling.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:38 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Myrivers wrote:
Greeting from GWN Eh!, I'm debating on a Oct trip but very few flights operating out of Toronto YYZ. Never flown on
Avianca before. They have a direct flight but with something called a "technical stop"
What the heck is that?

Toronto
Toronto Pearson Airport
7h 45m
(technical stop)
San Jose, Costa Rica

I flew Air Canada from Toronto to San Jose nonstop a few years ago. Didn’t really like them so much but can’t remember why except that it may have been poor customer service at the airport. Flight was ok and like I said nonstop.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:22 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I've always flown Avianca out of San Francisco stopping in El Salvador to San Jose.. Always had a good experience..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:11 am 

Myrivers wrote:
What the heck is that?

Toronto
Toronto Pearson Airport
7h 45m
(technical stop)
San Jose, Costa Rica

They stop in San Salvador on the Toronto - San Jose flight. You have to get off the plane, but they move your luggage if it is a plane change, or leave it on the plane if you go on with the same plane. I have had both happen. I have flown that route several times, and it only adds about an hour and a half as compared to the direct Air Canada flight.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:13 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

The weight of fuel on board a plane for a long flight can be a significant factor. The weight of the extra fuel causes you to burn more fuel per mile. Most commercial jets can certainly fly Toronto to San Jose non-stop. But if you stop for a refuel you are flying with less full tanks. Overall saving some fuel. At current fuel prices might be worthwhile.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:20 am 

bulldog10 wrote:
The weight of fuel on board a plane for a long flight can be a significant factor. The weight of the extra fuel causes you to burn more fuel per mile. Most commercial jets can certainly fly Toronto to San Jose non-stop. But if you stop for a refuel you are flying with less full tanks. Overall saving some fuel. At current fuel prices might be worthwhile.

In this case it is not that I think, because an extra landing and takeoff an hour from the destination would use far more fuel. San Salvador is a hub for Avianca, and this flight has always stopped in San Salvador. You can then connect through San Salvador to many points in South and Central America.

For some reason they also have always called this a "direct flight" to San Jose, but not a "non-stop" flight. Maybe because it is operated by the Costa Rican subsidiary of Avianca, or just for marketing purposes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:45 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

It’s marketing. Southwest uses the same terms. I can get a “direct” flight from Kansas City to Houston but it stops in Orlando. No plane change and the flight number remains the same so in their terminology it is “direct”.