www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Red Taxi Fares
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:49 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

They just rose by 25% in the GAM and 43% in rural areas. First kilometer went from c680 to c850 in the GAM and c945 in rural areas. (Today's La Nacion)

Post subject: Re: Red Taxi Fares
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:54 pm 

A bunch of thieves. I got thrown out of a red taxi (not moving though :lol: ) in the middle of a ride because I kept pointing out that I'm not a phucking newbie tourist and was not interested in a tour of the city. Finding an honest taxi driver is harder than finding a virgin in one of the massage parlors.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:18 pm 

I am noticing fewer red taxis especially at places like AutoMercado, Walmart and PriceSmart. I still see some at places like Plaza Lincoln, but I haven't seen one at Plaza Mayor since the first of the year. There was a story recently about permit holders turning them in.

On a similar note, I have seen Uber wait times increase. During the height of the pandemic I rarely waited more than 5 minutes for a pickup, now it is regularly over 10 minutes. Didi and InDriver are worse.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:09 pm 

Last time I was here (late March) I saw official looking red taxis responding to Uber calls on two mornings at the SL to pick up a Chica. I asked her about it and she said quite a few of the taxi drivers do Uber and InDriver (sp???) when they have no regular fare opportunities.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:51 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

prob a reaction to higher fuel prices... the problem when the govt sets the prices of goods and services, is they are not as quick to react as the free mkt did which is why some drivers left the business when fuel costs went up, but fares stayed too low

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:44 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I'm just going to throw this out there. I have a great driver, he is fare (pun intended) and trustworthy. I have used his services dozens of times and he is extremely dependable. Jonathon Cantillano +506 6325 2564 He lives near the airport for ez airport pick ups but have used him to get to Volcan Irazu, Jaco, La Fortuna, he will deliver you all over this great country at any hour. He even got my my national park passes and tickets to the Costa Rica-Honduras World cup qualifier. Jonathon is fantastic!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:56 pm 

Harddrive43228 wrote:
Last time I was here (late March) I saw official looking red taxis responding to Uber calls on two mornings at the SL to pick up a Chica. I asked her about it and she said quite a few of the taxi drivers do Uber and InDriver (sp???) when they have no regular fare opportunities.

The irony....