www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hotel Help -San Jose
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:56 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Hey all,

Newbie here - I'm traveling to CR next month and will be staying 2-3nights in SJ and trying to find a tica friendly hotel with a pool, I'm traveling from Europe so want to lay by the pool during the day.

I'm happy to pay a guest fee as long as it's not silly $ so with this being said does anyone know if Grano De Oro / Hilton / Presidente or Casa Conde ( Looks like this is in the ideal area for the night life ) allow ticas and if so how much?

Thanks in advance for the help

Post subject: Re: Hotel Help -San Jose
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:11 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Dino213 wrote:
Hey all,

Newbie here - I'm traveling to CR next month and will be staying 2-3nights in SJ and trying to find a tica friendly hotel with a pool, I'm traveling from Europe so want to lay by the pool during the day.

I'm happy to pay a guest fee as long as it's not silly $ so with this being said does anyone know if Grano De Oro / Hilton / Presidente or Casa Conde ( Looks like this is in the ideal area for the night life ) allow ticas and if so how much?

Thanks in advance for the help

Don't know if any of those have pools...maybe the Hilton does. And generally it is a bit cool to lay around by a pool. San Jose is around 3000 ft elevation.

And ticas, or any other nationality of working girls, not welcome at any of those.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:50 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Radisson has a pool and it’s a short taxi/Uber ride to Centro. I don’t know about their guest fees.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:47 pm 

Hilton Garden in Sabana has a rooftop (well, actually on an upper deck) lap pool. From experience I can tell you it's freezing and windy on the pool deck. Not really chica friendly, make sure you register a 2nd guest. I've stayed there with the fav a few times.

Hilton Hotel (the new one, also in Sabana) has an indoor pool. Other options around the Sabana area are the Barcelo (2 pools, unheated), Tryp, Crowne Plaza.

Most outdoor pools in SJO are unheated (and freezing). The Intercontinental in Escazu has a heated pool though. The Marriott Residence Inn has a smallish outdoor pool on the 2nd floor.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:32 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Have you checked out Jaco ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:48 am 

If you want to be near the action, walking distance to the DR, SL, etc., hotel Santo Tomas is the only hotel with a pool. It is located right across the street from Bar Poas just a bit down the street from the INS building. It is a nice little boutique hotel.They have a small pool and a pretty nice outdoor gym.

Their guest friendly status has wavered over the years. I would contact the hotel directly to find out the current rules.

Be advised that due to San Jose's cool nights, pool water is going to be very cold most of the year.

I don't know if they still do it, but they used to allow non guests to use the pool and gym on a ten dollar day pass.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:03 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback.. Good to know the pools will be cold, I may scratch that requirement.

Will reach out to hotel Santo Tomas around guest policy and see what the deal is.

Regarding Jaco, I'm toying with the idea of heading there for 2 nights instead of SJ - are the hotels / nightlife that much better? I'll be there Over Monday / Tuesday and was worrying it may be quiet.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:41 am 

Dino213 wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback.. Good to know the pools will be cold, I may scratch that requirement.

Will reach out to hotel Santo Tomas around guest policy and see what the deal is.

Regarding Jaco, I'm toying with the idea of heading there for 2 nights instead of SJ - are the hotels / nightlife that much better? I'll be there Over Monday / Tuesday and was worrying it may be quiet.

On Monday and Tuesday both Jaco and San Jose will be slow, but at least Jaco will have warm pools. Skip San Jose on this trip, stay at Cocal. Don't try to book the room online, call the hotel instead. Online booking does not work for normal rooms.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:57 pm 

Speaking of gyms, is the gym at the Radisson still open and can you still get a day pass? Staying at the Castillo this June for ten days and have to hit the iron on the regular. Any other gyms closer to Castillo open lately? Haven't been since 2016.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:57 pm 

Haywood Jablommi wrote:
Speaking of gyms, is the gym at the Radisson still open and can you still get a day pass? Staying at the Castillo this June for ten days and have to hit the iron on the regular. Any other gyms closer to Castillo open lately? Haven't been since 2016.

There is a gym on Avenida 7, on the north side, west of calle 5 (behind Holiday Inn) across the street from the 6 story blue building. 5 minute walk from Castillo. 3 mil for all day. Kent is the manager. City Sports Center Gym. Never crowded in the daytime. Man's gym, no nonsense...

https://www.facebook.com/City-Sport-Cen ... 429877457/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:38 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I will second the recommendation for City Center Sports Gym, but as described it is pretty basic but has sufficient set up. They have a half squat rack. The manager is a pretty cool guy, really friendly and speaks decent English. The floor is tile but the manager will help set you up to with floor pads to do deadlifts if you need. He will ask you to bring your own towels to come in

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:50 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Casa conde ok a bit of a taxi ride good Air conditioning and nice pool. Havent been down there in at least ten yrs .
Used to have a hefty chica charge like 35 bucks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:48 pm 

Harddrive43228 wrote:
If you want to be near the action, walking distance to the DR, SL, etc., hotel Santo Tomas is the only hotel with a pool. It is located right across the street from Bar Poas just a bit down the street from the INS building. It is a nice little boutique hotel.They have a small pool and a pretty nice outdoor gym.

Their guest friendly status has wavered over the years. I would contact the hotel directly to find out the current rules.

Interesting. I've walked by that Hotel on several occasions and it looks kinda nice and in a nice area. I have a girlfriend in SJ who regularly sees me each time I travel there and I don't really need a place to "hunt" for anything. Besides the fact that that ear-piercing, loud and annoying electronic Boom Boom music at the SL has become VERY annoying lately. Sounds like maybe Santo Tomas might be worth giving a try assuming, of course, I would not have any issues with her staying with me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:03 pm 

BondTrader wrote:
Harddrive43228 wrote:

Interesting. I've walked by that Hotel on several occasions and it looks kinda nice and in a nice area. I have a girlfriend in SJ who regularly sees me each time I travel there and I don't really need a place to "hunt" for anything. Besides the fact that that ear-piercing, loud and annoying electronic Boom Boom music at the SL has become VERY annoying lately. Sounds like maybe Santo Tomas might be worth giving a try assuming, of course, I would not have any issues with her staying with me.

Register for 2, and have her name and cedula on your reservation. Should work. Tell them at check-in that your girlfriend will be with you sometimes, and say that will be the only guest you are having. Otherwise there would be a charge.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:58 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Register for 2, and have her name and cedula on your reservation. Should work. [/quote]

Register for 2, and have her name and cedula on your reservation. Should work. [/quote]

This might work at some hotels. Others might be pricks. Check the fine print.

Once, I had reserved a room for two. But at registration they said the second person had to be present with me to be a registered guest. Un-registered guests would be a $35 fee each visit.