www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Airport to Jaco
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:22 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Hello everyone, my first post and first trip to Jaco is coming up in June, cannot wait. My question is what are my best options for getting from the airport to Jaco? I have seen some users post about Vanessa I think her name was, shuttlebug transport? I have emailed her but haven't gotten a response yet. My airbnb has a guy that will do it for $100, but I also saw that if I take the bus to SJ and another to Jaco its $10 or less?!?! I get in at 5:30am so the longer, cheaper bus trip is fine by me since I can't check in my room til 3pm. Is the bus recommended for a first timer? Are there any shuttles to and from Jaco that is hopefully in the middle price wise?

Post subject: Re: Airport to Jaco
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:50 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Interbus (shared shuttle) https://www.interbusonline.com/apps/book/book.php will pick you up at the airport and drop you at your Jaco hotel. I picked a random date and the cost was $52. The only issue is that I don't know what happens if your flight is late or you get stuck in immigration. Trip should be less than 2 hours.

The is also the Caribe Shuttle for $44 but you have to board them at the airport Denny's parking lot. You will need to take a taxi or Uber to get there so most of the savings is negated and it is a lot less convenient.

You are correct, to use the public bus you need to go to San Jose centro first. You can catch a bus just outside of the terminal property to take you downtown, but you need to be sure you get on the correct bus. Personally, I would take a taxi direct to the downtown bus terminal (about $30) and the catch the bus to Jaco. Since this will be around rush hour when you get on the bus, I would expect your total transfer time to be around 4 hours or so.

If it was me I would take the easiest method and go with Interbus since this is your first trip. Keep your fingers crossed that your room is available early or worst case sit by the pool and have a Bloody Mary for breakfast.

Have a great trip

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:40 pm 

I'll add several commemts to HardDrive's advice
1. If you take either shuttle, book your spot several days in advance. Last I used them several years ago, you could not buy tickets the day of travel.
2. Taking the bus or taxi TO San Jose adds too much complexity, especially for a first-timer. But if you do try it, go to Terminal 7-10 not the Coca Cola station. Terminal 7-10 is similar to a US Greyhound terminal, Coca Cola is similar to a big city local bus station.

You are a first time gringo monger tourist. A private driver such as Vanessa will be more expensive, but for that you will get: an English speaking driver who knows the local monger scene, ability to take a rest stop whenever you want, someone who will wait for you regardless of any flight or customs delays. I have never personally used Vanessa, but she does get good reviews.

The cost difference between a shuttle and private driver will be about $60 and *should* provide a seamless delivery from Airport to pu*sy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:06 pm 

Thanks guys for the quick responses, very helpful! Vanessa actually emailed me back just now and quoted $90 each way for anyone wondering. I will probably do that or maybe the Interbus for $52 if I can line up the times right. Any recent experience on how long it takes to get through the airport? It might change between now and June anyways but I am anxious. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:32 pm 

Kbdb2488 wrote:
Thanks guys for the quick responses, very helpful! Vanessa actually emailed me back just now and quoted $90 each way for anyone wondering. I will probably do that or maybe the Interbus for $52 if I can line up the times right. Any recent experience on how long it takes to get through the airport? It might change between now and June anyways but I am anxious. Thanks again!

Customs is running between 30 minutes and 3 hours. This is high season and during a pandemic so implementation of the rules vary from day-to-day. Covid regulations end April Fools Day and June is off season. As with so many things in this hobby, YMMV.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:54 pm 

Kbdb2488 wrote:

Vanessa is well worth the extra money!!!!! She will save you 2 hours minumun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:26 pm 

IMO, Vanessa is worth the extra $, especially for a first-time visitor. Immigration is very variable and no sense starting your vacation stressing about catching a bus.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:27 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

IMO spend the extra money on a private driver if this is your first time and you can not speak much Spanish. The driver should be able to show you and explain where to find the best restaurants and bars, where the best markets are and where to find the best hunting. You will save money in the long run.

Unless you are someone with nothing but time on your hands, has a lot of patience or has little money.

Good luck whichever route you choose as life is a big adventure !

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:26 pm 

I try to use Vanessa's transport from SJO to Cent.ro whenever I can. Unless things have changed she can't drive on Wednesday due to CR driving restrictions.

With her I usually have her pick me up at departures as I like to change some dollars for colones at the BCR kiosk before I get into town. She waits at the Walmart close by and I Whatsapp her when I clear immugration. By the time I am through with the bank she is in front of the terminal waiting.

She will also just meet you outside arrivals if that is your preference.

She speaks great English, has a lot of local information and she's easy on the eyes in a Milfy sort of way.

$90 is a pretty good price for a private driver.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:55 pm 

Harddrive43228 wrote:
I try to use Vanessa's transport from SJO to Cent.ro whenever I can. Unless things have changed she can't drive on Wednesday due to CR driving restrictions.

The current driving restrictions (besides midnight to 5am) are those that have been used for years to manage central city traffic congestion. They are based on the last digit of the license plate and are in effect for the area inside the circumnavigation ring. The airport to Jaco run would not be restricted.

Even the midnight to 5am restrictions go away April Fools Day.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:33 pm 

Boynton

I understand the restrictions don't apply to the Jaco trip but she has to drive from San Jose centro to the airport and she has not been willing (at least for me) to risk getting caught driving on Wednesdays.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:58 pm 

Harddrive43228 wrote:
Boynton

I understand the restrictions don't apply to the Jaco trip but she has to drive from San Jose centro to the airport and she has not been willing (at least for me) to risk getting caught driving on Wednesdays.

I have known other drivers to park their car at a friends house outside the circumnavigation and then uber out to it for a long trip. Only way to make money on their restriction day. Some money is better than no money and Vanessa has 'gone the extra mile' before for less than $90. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:27 am 

Boynton wrote:
Boynton

Some money is better than no money and Vanessa has 'gone the extra mile' before for less than $90. :lol:

I know what you are saying. I knew Vanessa back in her SL days though never had the pleasure.

She might be able to be convinced to venture out on a Wednesday but the last time I arrived on a Wednesday, she just referred me to her brother who also drives.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:31 am 

Boynton wrote:
2. Taking the bus or taxi TO San Jose adds too much complexity, especially for a first-timer. But if you do try it, go to Terminal 7-10 not the Coca Cola station. Terminal 7-10 is similar to a US Greyhound terminal, Coca Cola is similar to a big city local bus station.

Agree. And you probably have a third step - taxi from Jaco bus station to hotel.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:54 pm 

definitely gonna go with Vanessa for my first time you all brought up great points thanks to all! Can't wait to do my trip report!