www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:40 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Those of you that order your favorites at SL without thinking should be aware that there has been a very significant price increase. Nothing changed but prices. New menu online at their website
https://sportsmenscr.com/wp-content/upl ... -Lodge.pdf

The old menu gave basic prices, then also with added tax and service charge. Great transparency. We all concentrated on the all-in price. We knew what to expect.

The new prices are significantly higher, but no longer mention tax and service. They are counting on you thinking its maybe a little much of an increase, but whatever, and missing the 23% increase on top of it that is no longer mentioned.

Personal pizzas which fit on a dinner plate are now 9,500 Colones with after tax and service charge is 10,830 Colones, about $17.50 They might be past American pricing.

When you look at the new menu, remember to add 23% to all prices.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:59 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Yikes I'll be there tomorrow night. Thanks I'll eat before I arrive LOL I just looked again and at the bottom of the page it states All Taxes Included

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:07 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Good to know

Includes tax
Does not include service
Add or do not add you own propina

I prefer Castillo AllInc and only get a few beers, mixed drinks, coffee and cafe Rica at SL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:09 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Location: Sex Felony State (most other places p4p is just another day!)
Whoah! That's almost half a Monica's session for a small pie (no pun intended).

Need bring my hot plate and some frozens packed on dry ice my next time down. I thought food prices were higher than U.S. back in 2008 when I went to the BBQ joint near the zoo.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:18 pm 

Puro Party wrote:
Whoah! That's almost half a Monica's session for a small pie (no pun intended).

Need bring my hot plate and some frozens packed on dry ice my next time down. I thought food prices were higher than U.S. back in 2008 when I went to the BBQ joint near the zoo.

UberEats will deliver 2 medium Papa John's pizzas for c11,000. Frozen food of any type here is outrageously expensive. Consider the costs of shipping and maintaining the refrigeration. The problem is you cheap-o's are comparing the prices to Dollar General. A McDonald's Quarter Pounder with Cheese meal at a drive-thru in Orlando is $11.01 including 6% sales tax. That equates to c6,773. A freshly cooked Spurtmens Ranch Style Burger is c6,500.

A burger at Hooters is $13.76 or c8,468.

But hey, pack your Frigidaire and rock your trip big spender.

Last edited by Boynton on Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:53 am 

Last time there I paid 11 bucks for a salad and a coke. 20% more than before. Definitely overpriced food. Go into town and eat for a third of the price. The guy has a gold mine there catering to the gringos. And most gringos don’t care for the 5-7 days they visit. Overpriced food and sex all at one location.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:19 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

If the new prices keep the creepy old expat misers away, I am all for them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:38 am 

Jay2ee wrote:

Nothing will keep us away my little pretty :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:17 am 

Whitecat wrote:
Last time there I paid 11 bucks for a salad and a coke. 20% more than before. Definitely overpriced food. Go into town and eat for a third of the price. The guy has a gold mine there catering to the gringos. And most gringos don’t care for the 5-7 days they visit. Overpriced food and sex all at one location.

You are right Whitecat, SL's prices can definitely be beaten elsewhere. But it does offer one stop shopping for the relatively lazy, overfed rich gringos who aren't adventurous.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:18 am 

Boynton wrote:
Jay2ee wrote:

Nothing will keep us away my little pretty :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

LMAO!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:08 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Jawanker that is the point. Convenience. Is it worth the extra to be in the comfy confines of your lodging to pay a little more? I say yes. Unlike the folks that probably live there, folks like myself save for this type of trip and don't mind paying the extra for the good time and the surroundings. Plus if I am a cab ride away saving a couple dollars that smoking hot chica might stroll in, and my cousin will scoop her up, and I will have be Charlie Brown this Halloween and only get a rock, aside from cuz incessantly telling me about the one that got away. A fish story so to speak.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:47 am 

Inflation is everywhere and businesses that don't raise their prices to accommodate are not going to last long. Thank you Joe Biden and Covid.

SL prices are higher than the restaurants that cater to the locals but as previous posters have noted there is a convenience factor. Also they have a pretty large staff to pay. The Castillo has a single bartender / waitress even through dinner though most of the meals they serve are at no charge. Also the beer and some drinks are a very good deal at happy hour at the SL, especially when you compare it to the non all inclusive price at the Castillo or Taormina.

I did notice they added an item I've been asking for for years, Chile Con Carne. It is pretty pricey though but for me it would probably be a full meal.
Puro Party wrote:
I thought food prices were higher than U.S. back in 2008 when I went to the BBQ joint near the zoo.

I have found that Costa Rica has always had pretty expensive food unless you frequent the sodas. La Criollita across from the INS building is one place that I try to hit every trip. Their prices weren't that much cheaper than the old SL prices but a lot more variety. The old Soda Peru (Delicias del Peru) was always a favorite. Not cheap by a long shot but I though the food was great and a pretty good value.

I went to that barbeque place you were referring to. It was muy caro but quite good. Unfortunately I got a severe case of Montezuma's revenge after eating there. I can't swear they were the cause but the timing definitely pointed to them.

Last edited by Harddrive43228 on Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:56 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Take 10% off the bill with the CRT card also at SL and your menu price is spot on 8)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:58 pm 

Location: Sex Felony State (most other places p4p is just another day!)
They have a plato del dia for C4100 and burgers and sandwiches not too bad.

No I wouldn't bring my own hot plate just joking Boynton.

I usually end up going out of the gulch for dinner or lunch once or twice on a 4 day trip. I luv Rostipollos Parque Sabana and can session before and after lunch!

Many of the smaller sodas still shut down from restricted hours and tax increases before pandemic?

Food prices in U.S up also.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:21 pm 

RockinRob1 wrote:
Jawanker that is the point. Convenience. Is it worth the extra to be in the comfy confines of your lodging to pay a little more? I say yes. Unlike the folks that probably live there, folks like myself save for this type of trip and don't mind paying the extra for the good time and the surroundings. Plus if I am a cab ride away saving a couple dollars that smoking hot chica might stroll in, and my cousin will scoop her up, and I will have be Charlie Brown this Halloween and only get a rock, aside from cuz incessantly telling me about the one that got away. A fish story so to speak.

Point well taken, especially about the fish story. :D