www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:07 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Basically, I’ll be at the SL until November 1st, then I rented an Air BNB up in Tamarindo for a month. I looked at some commercial websites offering transportation (car service) one way for about $240. I would fly one way on Sansa for about $100 but I have two suitcases that would be way over their weight limit and even if I paid for the extra weight, they said they couldn’t guarantee any extra luggage would be taken?? yikes!. So, I guess there is the bus…which I don’t know too much about…is there a decent bus company? I’ve heard horror stories about people getting stuff stolen off of them, the bus not being very comfortable at all, etc..plus by bus it’s like a 6 hour trip. Any recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:30 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Check Interbus. They drop you off at your destination & I have used them many times to go to Tamarindo. The public bus goes through Liberia with much longer travel time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:41 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Caribe Shuttle - San Jose (hotels) to Tamarindo, free WiFi, 1 large bag, 1 carry on. $55 plus $15 per additional bag.
https://www.caribeshuttle.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:56 am 

Thanks for the info guys!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:47 am 

I have done both Interbus and Carib Shuttle. Both are good. As far as the extra luggage, slip the driver a few bucks. Not a problem.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:28 am 

It's a shame you have so much luggage as the flight is an adventure. You can really see a lot of scenery as you don't really get to high up off the ground. You usually fly between the mountains, not over them.

Landing in Tamarindo is a trip.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:27 pm 

Harddrive43228 wrote:
It's a shame you have so much luggage as the flight is an adventure. You can really see a lot of scenery as you don't really get to high up off the ground. You usually fly between the mountains, not over them.

Also, many flights go directly from San Jose to the coast and then fly over water up/down the coast to your destination. They tell you it is to reduce air turbulence. :wink: It is also in case they have to ditch the plane. :shock: It is also the only planes where the flight safety instruction include how to use the flotation device AND the shark repellant. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:28 pm 

Location: Sex Felony State (most other places p4p is just another day!)
Hey bf. Can you leave some of your luggage behind at SL? The flights are truly amazing if can take one.

I took the Tico buses up to Tamarindo in 2015. From San Jose to Liberia (4.5 hours) is a more modern bus with AC and semi re-cline seats then change to a school bus from Liberia to Tamarindo. School bus (1.5 hours) not that bad. Seats are benches but very comfy and air not so hot compared to Death Valley, AZ or TX in the summer. Is more bearable in CR. I kinda enjoyed it to take in the countryside and small villages we passed through and I think the total trip one way was under $10. I was in Tama 5 nights and even re-took the school bus one day to Liberia and back to explore that town.

I did fly back however on Nature Air :shock: obviously without an accident.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:15 am 

Boynton wrote:
Harddrive43228 wrote:

Also, many flights go directly from San Jose to the coast and then fly over water up/down the coast to your destination. They tell you it is to reduce air turbulence. :wink: It is also in case they have to ditch the plane. :shock: It is also the only planes where the flight safety instruction include how to use the flotation device AND the shark repellant. :mrgreen:

I will add that I took this short flight once and the scenery was beautiful.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:17 pm 

Thanks for the replies guys. I have actually taken the flight from San Jose to Tamarindo before…it was really cool…I have to admit a few times when we hit turbulence, I started to sweat a little bit..LOL…but there were great views and yes, landing in Tamarindo is something else…at first I thought we were going to crash into the side of a mountain then we veered off and landed at”Tamarindo Airport”…which is a just a field with goats and cows…I was amazed