www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:47 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Boynton
How are things going at the new residence? How far are you from where you lived across from the Teo.How many clones from residence to the Sportsmen's? I have been to the Pavas airport I just can't place how things look in that area.
Thanks
Wingnut

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:51 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Pinoydave wrote:
This is exactly the sort of story that makes me think it’s just not worth the hassle until things return to normal…..

I stress about the taxi not turning up to take me to the airport……. Throw in the worry of getting back a dubious test result…….
Just going to ruin the holiday

I'm not sure that things will ever return to "normal" (depending on how you define "normal"), but I agree with you that, for me, it's just not worth the hassle until the restrictions are lifted. (YMMV)

I love to visit CR. I am an old hand at it and know my way around (and can speak passable Spanish). I was anxious to get away, so I went there for several weeks in June and July (San Jose and Jaco). I can't say that I didn't have a good time, but this time was the first time that I really had to work at it. The trip was fraught with issues and inconveniences, the roots of which were almost all related to the covid restrictions and/or poor customer service handling them. Don't get me wrong, there were also highlights, and I learned some things that will come in handy on future trips. But those future trips will be after the restrictions are lifted - or not at all.

Most of the restrictions make no common sense. (You can't catch covid at the beach at 5:59 PM, but you can at 6:01 PM with no one within 100 meters of you because covid magically comes out at 6:00 PM and attacks at great distances outdoors!) The 9:00 PM nighttime curfew only made the situation more desperate for the chicas, but not in a good way. I'll cover that more in my trip report.

I still look forward to the day when it is enjoyable to visit Costa Rica again. And as much as I would like to return to the Costa Rica that I know from pre-covid days, I don't plan to return until the restrictions are lifted.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:04 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Might be a loooong while. Like a few years after reality is forced on public health agencies WW.

CDC et al their counterparts WW have convinced us that lockdowns work and a chain link fence will stop a mosquito, common sense and scientific proof to the contrary gets snuffed. Current mRNA Vaccines @ 40% and who knows how they got that number, people getting reinfected. That's the same % for the best year of the last 10 years of CDC numbers for flu shots, the best year was 40. But now there's no flu in estados, and no Gripe in CR. Waalaaaa, both upper respiratories have disappeared after Covid. Ticos, and not faking it, in high numbers, get the Gripe--an unpleasant upper respiratory. Not anymore, 0 Dx's for the Gripe.

And then add another couple of years to CR control after the rest of the world can no longer fake the efficacy of various so called preventive measures and are dropped by public outrage. At least two years more after that for CR. CR is always a few years beyond the US. Cell phones for example, at first for approx 1 year, you had to be a tico to get a sim card; the internet in CR about the same delay. Waiting in line for the blue public phones and use my scratchcard is etched in my brain.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:18 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Wingnut wrote:
Boynton
How are things going at the new residence? How far are you from where you lived across from the Teo.How many clones from residence to the Sportsmen's? I have been to the Pavas airport I just can't place how things look in that area.
Thanks
Wingnut

Rather than hijack this thread, I did a post here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=53120

Last edited by Boynton on Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:43 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

When I arrived at Castillo I asked the manager if I could test Saturday for a Tuesday departure. Both of us agreed based on the link from CDC below:

https://ticotimes.net/2021/02/22/fyi-u- ... e-travel-2

But when we called the testing agency they said Monday at the hotel was the earliest. The manager and the testing agency insured me results would be in the same day. The agency is wrong but they may not have tested me based on my return airfare.