www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:14 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

In years past, some of the key hotels in the gulch have run summer specials. Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen any this year. It seems that now more than ever they would want to attract customers by lowering prices, especially during low summer season. Any info on this happening at any of the gulch hotels? (SL, Castillo, LA, etc.)

I am planning a trip now for the summer, and one influencing factor on how long I stay in San Jose versus elsewhere in CR is what it costs me to stay. The summer specials previously helped keep me in the gulch longer and spending more $$$ there in the process. And I doubt that I'm alone.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:14 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Have not seen any and right now demand may be high enough that they may not offer them. With the del Rey closed that reduces the venues friendly to the gringo travelers in the area.
I think most are just happy they are open and operating given the past year shutdowns.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:30 pm 

Jfoot wrote:
Have not seen any and right now demand may be high enough that they may not offer them. With the del Rey closed that reduces the venues friendly to the gringo travelers in the area.
I think most are just happy they are open and operating given the past year shutdowns.

I, too, am very happy to see them remain in business and will continue to support them by staying there while in the gulch. I hope they do have high demand, but frankly I doubt it this summer. Not trying to be cheap, but paying regular rates that are the same as high season during low season, especially during pandemic-restricted conditions, will drive me to spend more of my vacation time elsewhere in CR where the rates are reduced.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:03 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

RicoGuapo wrote:
Jfoot wrote:

I, too, am very happy to see them remain in business and will continue to support them by staying there while in the gulch. I hope they do have high demand, but frankly I doubt it this summer. Not trying to be cheap, but paying regular rates that are the same as high season during low season, especially during pandemic-restricted conditions, will drive me to spend more of my vacation time elsewhere in CR where the rates are reduced.

While I agree a discount is in order, perhaps also a handle change to CheapoGuapo. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:16 pm 

Boynton wrote:
While I agree a discount is in order, perhaps also a handle change to CheapoGuapo. :lol:

:D LMAO. 'Just have to make the vacation dollars go as far as they can! That's how you become "Rico".

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:00 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

RicoGuapo wrote:
In years past, some of the key hotels in the gulch have run summer specials. Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen any this year. It seems that now more than ever they would want to attract customers by lowering prices, especially during low summer season. Any info on this happening at any of the gulch hotels? (SL, Castillo, LA, etc.)

I am planning a trip now for the summer, and one influencing factor on how long I stay in San Jose versus elsewhere in CR is what it costs me to stay. The summer specials previously helped keep me in the gulch longer and spending more $$$ there in the process. And I doubt that I'm alone.

SL and Castillo are booked this weekend, and pretty full going forward a few weeks. I hear that Amistad may be opening soon to get the overflow. I wouldn't expect to see any specials for a while.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:26 pm 

saltyron wrote:
RicoGuapo wrote:

SL and Castillo are booked this weekend, and pretty full going forward a few weeks. I hear that Amistad may be opening soon to get the overflow. I wouldn't expect to see any specials for a while.

According to the SL website, while there are two rooms available this weekend, there are 17 of 29 available next weekend. That is a high season weekend occupancy rate of 41%. Prior years they would be running waiting list. The US State department also just issued a Level 4 "Do Not Travel" alert for Costa Rica.

Update: Today, Thursday, Costa Rica reported its highest daily new infection rate.
https://www.crhoy.com/nacionales/costa- ... te-jueves/

As a reminder, CR now has the Brazillian, UK, and South African variants spreading around. The caja is currently vaccinating those aged 58 and older, so hope you are all banging AMGF's. :mrgreen: (Abuelas Me Gusta Follar)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:01 am 

Cases look like they have doubled here recently. 400 to 500 a day before, and 1000, 1200 lately. Expect some changes in the restrictions. Check this for April 22......

https://qcostarica.com/costa-rica-break ... tg8vBmx96U

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:38 am 

And besides running low on ICU beds, they had to get a donation from El Salvador of 10,000 doses of Fentanyl to sedate patients on ventilators.
https://qcostarica.com/ccss-receives-do ... -salvador/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:39 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I hope this dies back down by the time my September trip comes around. It's sad that they can't get enough vaccinations. Hell, in Texas, we have a surplus, and can't get people to take them. They've made it non-appointment necessary, and are even closing down the mega-vaccination sites.

Seems like we could start sending the vaccinations that Americans apparently don't want to the third world countries that are begging for them.

Myself, I am fully Phizer vaccinated, and might try to get a booster sometime in August or so.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:30 am 

BhueyXXXVII wrote:
Seems like we could start sending the vaccinations that Americans apparently don't want to the third world countries that are begging for them.

Yeah, like maybe 60 million doses of AstraZeneca. :lol: :lol: :lol:
https://www.batimes.com.ar/news/world/u ... cine.phtml

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:34 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Hitting Costa Rica next week to kill three weeks waiting for the lockdown to blow over in Medellin. Looks like I'll be lucky to make it through without a lockdown here as well. Curfew is what now, 10pm? Looks like I better consider this a nature trip to Manuel Antonio and if anything happens in San Jose or Jaco it'll be a plus.

Guess it depends on where you rode this out. 1,200 cases and 10 dead in CR yesterday. Back in the bad old days of a year ago Chicago would have had those numbers by noon every single day. Not to mention the 400+ dead in Colombia per day this week.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... meAdvegas1?

Stay safe 'til you get two in the arm, guys.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:07 am 

paulyvegas wrote:
Curfew is what now, 10pm? Looks like I better consider this a nature trip to Manuel Antonio and if anything happens in San Jose or Jaco it'll be a plus.

Beginning tomorrow and until at least May 16, the driving restrictions (and by extension the "curfew") begin at 9pm. Some establishments had been turning a blind eye to private after hours parties. Enforcement had been targeted toward Ticos, largely leaving tourists undisturbed but who knows it that will continue. Daytime and early evening activities will probably be plentiful.