www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:12 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I have spent some time the last few days pricing a way to get to MA and back for a weekend and here is what I found:

Private Driver - I was quoted at $150 each way for me and my lady ...not bad but told them I wanted to price other options. Approx. $300 RT

Tropical Tour Shuttle - I was quoted at $58 each person 1 way and they must also have 4 people minimum to do the trip if not they refund you and then basically your scrambling to make other plans ... Approx. $216 RT

UBER - Had my lady friend price an Uber it was gonna be around $110 not bad I highly considered this option, until I thought what IF no Uber driver was available in MA to take us back to San Jose No Buena. Approx. $220-$230 RT .. too much uncertainty for me

Hertz - I used Hertz in Feb 2020 traveled to La Fortuna had no issues other than that usual upsell at the rental counter, I decided to book with them again for this trip it just made the most sense. I can travel at my own pace, stop to sight-see if we want and considering I am always look for the best deal, Hertz was my best option.

Downtown Location Hertz -Paseo Colon And 38th Street

Quote- 3 day rental - $131 w/tax and the add ons below :

$14.40-day -Vehicle -Toyota Corolla
$10.99 - day -Mandatory 3rd Party Liability
$6.99 - day - Tire and Windows Ins. bought this last trip too $0 out of pocket

CDW Liability - My Delta Am EX Card covers this with a 0 deductible but you must decline the rentals companies CDW and place the Rental Resv. on that card, also be sure to bring a copy of the CC CDW policy as well, make no mistake they will try to sell you their CDW anyways.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:42 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

TF74

I don't know what "travel insurance" you planned on using for your trip but I noted on the policy I got from t
Trawick International that it include $35,000 worth of rental car coverage. I didn't investigate the details as to what was covered as I never rent a car in CR, but it might be worth looking at.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:25 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Thanks Harddrive, I will be purchasing Trawick Voyager plan again and will research that benefit in the small fine print 8)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:41 pm 

Interbus
San Jose to Manual Antonio shared $47 pp, return trip $90. Private $175 trip time 4hrs
https://www.interbusonline.com

Now that Sansa flights are back, you can fly to Quepos in about 25 minutes and bus/uber/taxi to the park. Buses from Quepos to the park run about every half hour and cost about a buck.

Sansa SJO - XQP $80.60 (you, your guest, and your luggage will gave to meet a weight restriction).
https://flysansa.com/

NatureAir also flys from San Jose to Quepos but I don't know if they are flying yet.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:06 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Nature Air permanently ceased operations after their crash a couple years ago when the civil aviation authority of CR indefinitely suspended their operating license. Although their website remains up?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:32 am 

bulldog10 wrote:
Nature Air permanently ceased operations after their crash a couple years ago when the civil aviation authority of CR indefinitely suspended their operating license. Although their website remains up?

Bummer, they were a little less strict on the weigh in :lol: :lol: :lol:
That definitely gives Sansa the edge. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:49 am 

Location: Sex Felony State (most other places p4p is just another day!)
I was going to rec. Interbus also.

If you really want to go Tico could proly find bus combinations from the various terminals in SJO. Thinking the buses to Jaco and back more modern and comfortable then have to change to school bus models from Jaco down to MA. But with a lady friend most likely not want to do this. Is really affordable and safe. I have taken buses from SJo down to Perez Zeledon (very modern and comfortable) and also up to Guanecaste (same modern and comfortable). However the bus to Punta Arenas a school bus type. If traveling solo and want to save $ and also enjoy the views I highly rec. going on the buses.

I have flown on Nature Air also before the crash.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:59 am 

Buses San Jose to Jaco depart 4 times a day, cost is around c2,700 ($4.50). If you are a Cocal fan, you might run across some familiar faces on the trip. Catch one of the Jaco to Quepos buses outside of the Mas x Menos for a couple of more bucks.

I do miss the chicken buses.

San Jose to Jaco out of Terminal 7-10
https://www.transportesjacoruta655.com/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:00 pm 

There are good buses direct to Quepos from a bus terminal on calle5/Ave.20 (not sure of the ave) you can buy round trip tickets in advance at the terminal. 4 to 5 buses a day.
You can get off at Quepos or buy to go all the way to the park. If your hotel is near the park then you can also return from the park stop.
Takes aout 4 hours.
On any bus you have to keep close watch on your carry on luggage. It can vanish from the overhead bin.

There is nothing either good or bad
but thinking makes it so.
HAMLET

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:14 pm 

I took the Nature Air flight from Pavas airport to Quepos a couple of times. It was definitely an adventure. The plane was tiny with just a couple of gull wing doors on each side. Didn't really fly over the mountains but rather between them. Was really a rush. And flying out of Pavas airport was so much less hassle that going through SJO.

If I remember correctly, locals (with cedula) would fly at approximately half of the price that tourists could go for.

As an earlier poster said, the flight is only 20 minutes or so. Sure beats 4 hours on shitty roads.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:38 pm 

Harddrive43228 wrote:
I took the Nature Air flight from Pavas airport to Quepos a couple of times. It was definitely an adventure. The plane was tiny with just a couple of gull wing doors on each side. Didn't really fly over the mountains but rather between them. Was really a rush. And flying out of Pavas airport was so much less hassle that going through SJO.

If I remember correctly, locals (with cedula) would fly at approximately half of the price that tourists could go for.

As an earlier poster said, the flight is only 20 minutes or so. Sure beats 4 hours on shitty roads.

I also flew NatureAir to Puerto Jimenez often to go fishing. The pilot used to always tell the passengers they flew directly to the coast and then over water down to Golfito because it was safer if they had to ditch the plane. Everyone laughed until the landing when we flew in close enough over the cemetery to read the tombstones.

While Sansa is based out of SJO, the domestic flights did not go out of the International terminal building. Of course the last time I flew with them was in 2012, so I don't know how it is now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:42 pm 

Boynton wrote:
bulldog10 wrote:

Bummer, they were a little less strict on the weigh in :lol: :lol: :lol:
That definitely gives Sansa the edge. :mrgreen:

I shouldn't laugh at that, but it's pretty funny.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:14 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Harddrive - this reminds me of some smaller commuter planes my Family and I would take back and forth from DEN to Gunnison/Crested Butte area as a K*D … I recall feeling every little gust of wind and some larger gusts throwing the plane sideways, a couple times even holding my breath crossing over the Mountains, Sansa is a great option for those on a limited time schedule and or just do not wanna make the drive. For now I’ll stick to Boeing Jumbo Jets.

I don’t mind making this road trip and getting to see the beautiful countryside of Cost Rica to me this is just an added bonus. The roads to MA are all paved at least they are coming down thru 27 the Jaco route then catching Route 34 to Quepos , I traveled down to the MA National Park in the summer of 2019 from Jaco for a day trip, I do recall the roads are curvy and cars went slow these seems to be the Norm tho and my lady friend says to allow 2.5 - 3 hours depending on traffic of course.

I did not research a (Interbus) Bus for several reasons, I do not want to ride a bus full of people Pre-covid or Present, this is just my personal preference and my lady friend probably would not care as she uses Buses on a regular basis but boarding a BUS full of Tico’s and Tica’s I could just imagine it now some 40 y/o gringo and a hot sexy 22 y/o boarding together with our suitcases :oops: and oh yeah let’s not forget 1st stop is Jaco, :lol: I could Just Imagine the looks boarding the bus then to sit there for next 3-4 hours, No Bus for this Gringo again just my personal preference.
The Bus however does seem to be the best value for those OK with the ride and looking to spend less money.

Isra123- Well said I watch my bags on all my flights as well, usually where my all cash Is hidden 8)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:44 pm 

Just to clarify, Interbus uses 15 passenger vans that have been adapted to accommodate 8 to 10 people. Currently, they are only booking 50% full, so that is 4 to 5 passengers. Despite the name, they are not buses. They are air conditioned. Each passenger is allowed one suitcase and one carry on. The suitcases travel in a locked compartment beneath the passenger cabin. You don't need to worry about your luggage being stolen. The price for private transport is $175 each way. Shared bookings are $47pp down and $90 back. The route is direct with no stops except for the possibility of a bathroom break.

You can even transport oversized items (surf boards, fly rods, sybians) but capacity is limited. You do have to buy tickets several days in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:18 am 

I often take Interbus and Carib Shuttle. Yes, it is more expensive, but the comfort factor is high with lots of leg room. Carib Shuttle has wifi. Not sure about the other. They are also hotel to hotel.