www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wifi Work in Costa Rica
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:50 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I’m thinking about taking a 2 week trip to Costa Rica, a few days in San Jose, 7-9 days in Jaco and then a few days in San Jose before flying home. Does anyone know of hotels that have reliable wifi in those cities? If not a hotel, any place in town I can work with a laptop so I do not have to burn vacation? I know Cocal doesn’t. In San Jose, I’ve heard Sportmans is not reliable enough for work, anyone heard anything about Castillo, or any other hotel in SJ WiFi reliability?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:28 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Drago wrote:
I’m thinking about taking a 2 week trip to Costa Rica, a few days in San Jose, 7-9 days in Jaco and then a few days in San Jose before flying home. Does anyone know of hotels that have reliable wifi in those cities? If not a hotel, any place in town I can work with a laptop so I do not have to burn vacation? I know Cocal doesn’t. In San Jose, I’ve heard Sportmans is not reliable enough for work, anyone heard anything about Castillo, or any other hotel in SJ WiFi reliability?

Depends on what you need to do. Video conferencing can be an issue anywhere, upload speeds are notoriously low. Voice calls should be mostly ok, and you'll have no issue with email. There are Selina cowork spaces in San Jose as well. One is a block from Sportsmens.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:12 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Location: Sex Felony State (most other places p4p is just another day!)
I thought Castillo's wifi was good recently but I only used it for email and web surfing.

Thank you Saltyron for the work center located near SML's. I have it bookmarked for possible future use.

https://www.selina.com/cowork/

Daily hot desk for $12/day. Private meeting room for $12/hour.

From Celina's FAQ section:

'Yes! Digital nomads and remote workers love our destination in San Jose because of the reliable and good WiFi connection. Our state of the art coworking space has access to high-speed internet that’s ideal for catching up on emails, joining a conference call with your team, or starting a fresh project from scratch.'

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:42 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Puro Party wrote:
I thought Castillo's wifi was good recently but I only used it for email and web surfing.

Thank you Saltyron for the work center located near SML's. I have it bookmarked for possible future use.

'Yes! Digital nomads and remote workers love our destination in San Jose because of the reliable and good WiFi connection. Our state of the art coworking space has access to high-speed internet that’s ideal for catching up on emails, joining a conference call with your team, or starting a fresh project from scratch.'

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:46 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

saltyron wrote:
Drago wrote:

Depends on what you need to do. Video conferencing can be an issue anywhere, upload speeds are notoriously low. Voice calls should be mostly ok, and you'll have no issue with email. There are Selina cowork spaces in San Jose as well. One is a block from Sportsmens.

Thank You!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:47 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Puro Party wrote:

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:11 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I have not been to Cocal in about a year, but I had no problems with wifi there in my room for email and web surfing. I had no issues accomplishing the business functions I needed. I did not attempt to videoconference.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:33 pm 

I found the Castillo WiFi usable only for email and web but not adequate for VoIP. Voice quality, especially in the Penthouse suites, was awful. WiFi in the Sportsmens is pretty good. VoIP works well but I haven't tried video.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:35 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

It's so nice to just have blazing 5G data service that works great in Costa Rica and everywhere else in the world.

It's nice to have my cell phone work from the moment the plane lands on the ground and as I uber it up everywhere in San Jose and Jose.

It's nice never to have to buy a Kobi or a Claro.

It's nice for to get phone calls on my US line while in Costa Rica.

It's also great to just have fast Internet that always phucking works everywhere.

I am so happy that crappy WiFi is someone else's problem and never ever my problem.

$10 for 1,000 MB is just fine, even with streaming for a week in Costa Rica.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qji_9qth8HQ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:21 pm 

Ulysses wrote:
It's so nice to just have blazing 5G data service that works great in Costa Rica and everywhere else in the world.

It's nice to have my cell phone work from the moment the plane lands on the ground and as I uber it up everywhere in San Jose and Jose.

It's nice never to have to buy a Kobi or a Claro.

It's nice for to get phone calls on my US line while in Costa Rica.

It's also great to just have fast Internet that always phucking works everywhere.

I am so happy that crappy WiFi is someone else's problem and never ever my problem.

$10 for 1,000 MB is just fine, even with streaming for a week in Costa Rica.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qji_9qth8HQ

1GB is 90 minutes of SD Video Streaming, or a 45 minute Zoom call, or up to 3GB/hour for webex. It's nice that you do so little online that Google Fi works for you, but for anyone with real bandwidth requirements, $10/GB is going to add up fast.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:13 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

I think google fi has a price cap of 6gig, regardless of how much you use

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:57 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

saltyron wrote:
1GB is 90 minutes of SD Video Streaming, or a 45 minute Zoom call, or up to 3GB/hour for webex. It's nice that you do so little online that Google Fi works for you, but for anyone with real bandwidth requirements, $10/GB is going to add up fast.

Fi is unlimited for $70/month, and in Costa Rica that is actual 5G output, very good bandwidth.

I don't think most people live in an webinar, or stream HD video for more than a few hours a day.

But for power users, $70 for 22 GB of monthly 5G data or on the cheap end, $10/1GB is going to take care of a large segment of the population.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:37 pm 

Ulysses wrote:
saltyron wrote:

Fi is unlimited for $70/month, and in Costa Rica that is actual 5G output, very good bandwidth.

I don't think most people live in an webinar, or stream HD video for more than a few hours a day.

But for power users, $70 for 22 GB of monthly 5G data or on the cheap end, $10/1GB is going to take care of a large segment of the population.

22GB doesn't come close to power user territory. 22GB of data for someone using Zoom or Webex for meetings is one hour long video meeting per working day each month. With other data usage that'll go fast. People that work remotely by hot spotting on their phone for their data could easily chew through 22GB in little more than a few days, a week at most.

10/1GB is only good for anyone IF you have access to wifi almost everywhere you go.

I think you're underestimating how much data usage has changed in the last 12 months. In the first 6 months of the lockdowns, US data usage went up 47%. https://www.pcmag.com/news/data-usage-h ... quarantine

BTW, looks like you're really getting 4G+ there, not 5G.

https://www.nperf.com/en/map/CR/3621849 ... il/signal/
https://www.nperf.com/en/map/CR/3621849 ... il/signal/
https://www.nperf.com/en/map/CR/-/2848. ... 25&zoom=13

Depending on who Google Fi is routing you through of course.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:39 pm 

spanishdv8 wrote:
I think google fi has a price cap of 6gig, regardless of how much you use

Makes sense, that would put your bill $10 over the price of the unlimited plan.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:53 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Sure enough...just looked up my account and they do have an unlimited plan. Flexible works best for me, as I only use about 3-4 gig.... sometimes less. My average bill is $40 or 50. At least I know that I will never breach $80, and I always have my normal phone access before I get off the plane.