www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:56 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Put in this code if you are signing up with google fi and we will both get $20. I used such a code posted on cry a few years ago and got my credit...hopefully my fellow cry member got theirs as well...NW4H0J

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:53 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

headed to jaco and working remotely my first week, just curious what option did you go with? I'm staying at Crocs

thanks and i hope you had a great time

Drago wrote:
I’m thinking about taking a 2 week trip to Costa Rica, a few days in San Jose, 7-9 days in Jaco and then a few days in San Jose before flying home. Does anyone know of hotels that have reliable wifi in those cities? If not a hotel, any place in town I can work with a laptop so I do not have to burn vacation? I know Cocal doesn’t. In San Jose, I’ve heard Sportmans is not reliable enough for work, anyone heard anything about Castillo, or any other hotel in SJ WiFi reliability?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:17 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

saltyron wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
saltyron wrote:
1GB is 90 minutes of SD Video Streaming, or a 45 minute Zoom call, or up to 3GB/hour for webex. It's nice that you do so little online that Google Fi works for you, but for anyone with real bandwidth requirements, $10/GB is going to add up fast.

Fi is unlimited for $70/month, and in Costa Rica that is actual 5G output, very good bandwidth.

I don't think most people live in an webinar, or stream HD video for more than a few hours a day.

But for power users, $70 for 22 GB of monthly 5G data or on the cheap end, $10/1GB is going to take care of a large segment of the population.

22GB doesn't come close to power user territory. 22GB of data for someone using Zoom or Webex for meetings is one hour long video meeting per working day each month. With other data usage that'll go fast. People that work remotely by hot spotting on their phone for their data could easily chew through 22GB in little more than a few days, a week at most.

10/1GB is only good for anyone IF you have access to wifi almost everywhere you go.

I think you're underestimating how much data usage has changed in the last 12 months. In the first 6 months of the lockdowns, US data usage went up 47%. https://www.pcmag.com/news/data-usage-h ... quarantine

BTW, looks like you're really getting 4G+ there, not 5G.

https://www.nperf.com/en/map/CR/3621849 ... il/signal/
https://www.nperf.com/en/map/CR/3621849 ... il/signal/
https://www.nperf.com/en/map/CR/-/2848. ... 25&zoom=13

Depending on who Google Fi is routing you through of course.

Thanks for sharing. It's good to have collaboration on these new tech issues.

Data usage is subjective. I work online, but I don't do usually do more than a hour or two of video meetings daily.

But, if you are doing training, or attending training all day, then I could see where you would need an ass-load of continuous, low latency, broadband. And, I would never expect any hotel in Costa Rica to guarantee that kind of broadband availability.

It's going to be hit or miss, depending on usage in the hotel. It's also going to be variable based on placement of the WiFi antennas and quality of the wireless infrastructure.

Question to ask.

1. What type of Internet connection does the hotel have. Specifically, is it a fiberoptic service?
2. How many WiFi antennas are installed in the hotel?
3. Will there be a WiFi antenna in my hotel room?
4. Is there an option to connect an ethernet cable directly to my laptop in the room?

In Costa Rica, the answers to these questions will not be so great. Shared WiFi, without line of sight is not your friend if you need continuous, low latency, broadband.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:35 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Ulysses wrote:

Thanks for sharing. It's good to have collaboration on these new tech issues.

Data usage is subjective. I work online, but I don't do usually do more than a hour or two of video meetings daily.

But, if you are doing training, or attending training all day, then I could see where you would need an ass-load of continuous, low latency, broadband. And, I would never expect any hotel in Costa Rica to guarantee that kind of broadband availability.

It's going to be hit or miss, depending on usage in the hotel. It's also going to be variable based on placement of the WiFi antennas and quality of the wireless infrastructure.

Question to ask.

1. What type of Internet connection does the hotel have. Specifically, is it a fiberoptic service?
2. How many WiFi antennas are installed in the hotel?
3. Will there be a WiFi antenna in my hotel room?
4. Is there an option to connect an ethernet cable directly to my laptop in the room?

In Costa Rica, the answers to these questions will not be so great. Shared WiFi, without line of sight is not your friend if you need continuous, low latency, broadband.

These are great questions, especially the last. In my business travels I know I would favor hotels that had Ethernet in the room. I travel with a portable travel router that let's me create my own wifi network either bridged behind the hotel wifi, or via ethernet.

I would make a small change to the list of questions though. How MANY access points isn't as important as where they are placed, especially in regard to the bands available. You alluded to this, but putting an AP in every room would simply be overkill.

https://www.networkworld.com/article/22 ... rence.html

Code:
[b]Interference from your own access points[/b]

One of the biggest interference issues with Wi-Fi networks is actually the networks themselves. If a wireless network hasn’t been properly designed and configured, the AP signals might be interfering with each other. You want about a 15% to 20% coverage overlap between AP cells. If you have less or no overlap between the AP cells, you can have bad signal spots in the network. If you have too much overlap between AP cells in either band, it can cause co-channel interference along with other issues. You want the APs located so clients keep roaming to the best AP for that particular location, and also so they don’t interfere with each other’s signals.

Even if the hotel has done the legwork to create a solid wifi network, it'll only ever be as good as the upstream bandwidth they pay for. From what I've seen in CR is that it's easy to get solid download speeds, but getting comparable uploads speeds is a challenge. So SL could have plenty of available bandwidth coming in, but if they run out of bandwidth for outgoing requests it won't matter.