www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Castillo vs Sportmens
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:19 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:04 pm
Posts: 101
Location: New Jersey
I have always stayed at SL or Presidente (when it was there for us). Now, thinking of trying Castillo. Covid and DelRey closing have upsided logistics so I have a few questions:

- Crowd size (Ticas) & talent :lol:
- Room quality (Castillo may be newer and have better views?)
- All-inclusive is not for me as I like the freedom to eat anywhere besides breakfast. Is their free breakfast on par with Sportsmen?

Thanks


Last edited by Lollypop54 on Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:15 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:27 pm
Posts: 216
In MHO Castillo breakfast is Much Better.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:39 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:40 am
Posts: 17
I stayed at SL in January for the first time. I liked the fact that they monitored how many people were in the bar etc. I liked that they let their guests in first. I liked the ability to get a beer in the morning as Castillo opens their bar at noon. My room was clean although the bed was not comfortable. I would stay at SL again. As far as Castillo, I visited that property daily and sometimes twice a day. They were much more "open" with the pandemic rules. However, I was able to see the updated rooms and suites and they are nice. I drink a lot of beer so the all inclusive would appeal to me. The food looked Meh but the bar service was better than SL. As far as the local talent...I partook in excellent company from each place.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:43 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:04 pm
Posts: 101
Location: New Jersey
MRH,
Thank you very much for the candid feedback. Definitely will try castello to break the routine and experience the nicer rooms.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:33 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:01 am
Posts: 20
Location: Swissconsin
Did Castillo ever get their water issues resolved? It was always a pain when you couldn't shower or flysh the john during the dry season.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:17 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:26 am
Posts: 1789
Location: Sex Prison USA
SmegMan wrote:
Did Castillo ever get their water issues resolved? It was always a pain when you couldn't shower or flysh the john during the dry season.


It was good when I was down in mid Jan. 2021. When they were having issues was because they were tearing up the street out in front for something. I didn't see any road work when there last month.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:26 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:04 pm
Posts: 101
Location: New Jersey
Some people seem to be getting great deals for multiple day stays whilst SL is not negotiatig at all. Would someone care to post their success story and which room they got.?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:46 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:44 pm
Posts: 617
Lollypop54 wrote:
Some people seem to be getting great deals for multiple day stays whilst SL is not negotiatig at all. Would someone care to post their success story and which room they got.?


SL usually posts it's specials on here. I'm not sure if you negotiate your room rate in the USA...not sure why you would expect to at the SL. I've had deals there...but they were posted, advertised, etc. and they generally did not offer discounts in the peak season. Nor does anyone else usually.

Now with Covid, not sure. But I suspect the SL has been at their allowed capacity. Perhaps other places have not been and so they offer discounts. And at least the SL, Castillo, and HLH generally post their promotions on here.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:16 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:01 am
Posts: 20
Location: Swissconsin
Zeos wrote:
Lollypop54 wrote:
Some people seem to be getting great deals for multiple day stays whilst SL is not negotiatig at all. Would someone care to post their success story and which room they got.?


SL usually posts it's specials on here. I'm not sure if you negotiate your room rate in the USA...not sure why you would expect to at the SL. I've had deals there...but they were posted, advertised, etc. and they generally did not offer discounts in the peak season. Nor does anyone else usually.

Now with Covid, not sure. But I suspect the SL has been at their allowed capacity. Perhaps other places have not been and so they offer discounts. And at least the SL, Castillo, and HLH generally post their promotions on here.

As I write this, the SL online booking shows 21 available room for this Saturday. That represents a 25% occupancy rate on this peak season weekend. Seems to me like a little negotiating is in order. As mama always said "Some money is better than no money".


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:33 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:53 am
Posts: 522
Location: Bull in China Shop
I've never stayed at SL but I've negotiated a better than advertised promo price at the other hotels I've stayed at in the Gulch. Did the same here in the USA and in Europe. Never hurts to ask.

_________________
If you see me at the bottom, please bring me my running shoes!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:30 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:26 am
Posts: 1655
SmegMan wrote:
Zeos wrote:
Lollypop54 wrote:
Some people seem to be getting great deals for multiple day stays whilst SL is not negotiatig at all. Would someone care to post their success story and which room they got.?


SL usually posts it's specials on here. I'm not sure if you negotiate your room rate in the USA...not sure why you would expect to at the SL. I've had deals there...but they were posted, advertised, etc. and they generally did not offer discounts in the peak season. Nor does anyone else usually.

Now with Covid, not sure. But I suspect the SL has been at their allowed capacity. Perhaps other places have not been and so they offer discounts. And at least the SL, Castillo, and HLH generally post their promotions on here.

As I write this, the SL online booking shows 21 available room for this Saturday. That represents a 25% occupancy rate on this peak season weekend. Seems to me like a little negotiating is in order. As mama always said "Some money is better than no money".


I doubt that will happen. The owner is all about the money.

_________________
I am NOT a Cien Boy!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:47 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:44 pm
Posts: 617
I doubt that will happen. The owner is all about the money.[/quote]

And if you own a business you are supposed to do what? Look, these places have been hammered by Covid, it is surprising that they have survived it.

You should be happy to pay a premium as a token of your gratitude. Their Covid price should be the full rate plus a mandatory 20% tip as a thank you for staying open after losing a pile of money for a year.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:10 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:01 am
Posts: 20
Location: Swissconsin
Zeos wrote:

And if you own a business you are supposed to do what? Look, these places have been hammered by Covid, it is surprising that they have survived it.

You should be happy to pay a premium as a token of your gratitude. Their Covid price should be the full rate plus a mandatory 20% tip as a thank you for staying open after losing a pile of money for a year.

If you own a hotel you fill the rooms whatever it takes. If you can’t do that and also pay your bills, you close the business and get out with what you can. WTF is with this gratefulness to overpay for a freaking hotel room???


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:52 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:26 am
Posts: 1655
Agreed 100%.

_________________
I am NOT a Cien Boy!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:36 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 9:01 pm
Posts: 224
Too funny! Whitecat accusing someone of being "all about the money".


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next



All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:



Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group