www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:48 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Jay2ee wrote:
Too funny! Whitecat accusing someone of being "all about the money".

Exactly.

Anyway, my suggestion on the tip might have been over the top. I certainly look for bargains and discounts too. But I guess it seems a bit like beating someone up when they're down to get to hardnose about it now. Same for the chicas. I'm as cheap as they come, and I would be sorely tempted to take advantage of desperation...but I think I'll take what I'm offered (within reason) a bit more readily now than I might have a couple of years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:40 am 

The Sportsmens is my "go to" hotel in San Jose. I was there in January and just got the regular CRT discount on the room and bar bill. The former breakfast buffet has been replaced and you now order from the bartender. Eggs, toast, gallo pinto and fruit are available for free. You can also order ala carte from the regular breakfast menu for free.

When I was there in January, it was only 25% capacity bar permitted and the security was pretty strict about restricting admission when they approached the capacity. I applaud them for doing this as they were leaving a lot of colones on the table based on the waiting line at the door.

Hopefully this becomes a non-issue when I come back down this April after Easter. From what I understand it is now up to 50% capacity. Ideally this will go to 100% shortly as the Covid cases decline.

My only gripe with the Sportsmens is that they have very few rooms with a walk-in shower. And most of the "shower rooms" are on the more expensive side. The gymnastics around getting in and out of those shower tubs is getting increasingly more difficult as I get older especially after a few drinks.

This upcoming trip however I decided to stay at the Castillo because I am breaking up my 10 day stay by a 2 night stay at the Cocal in Jaco. For me Jaco is like Vegas. I can have a lot of fun for a couple of days but it gets old real fast. After a couple of nights I'm ready to go back to San Jose.

Well getting back to choosing the Castillo for this trip, what closed the deal was that with the all inclusive, I could get round trip transport from the hotel to Jaco for $70. That is an incredible deal. Also free transport back to the airport in San Jose after my trip is finished. This alone is probably a savings of $150 or so.

The all inclusive give you three meals a day and all of the local beers, wine and spirits for free. You get other drinks for half price (though list is pretty expensive). The all inclusive also includes free laundry and local calls and calls back to the USA.

I have never stayed at the Castillo since the remodel. I used to stay there in the old days when I was doing a month long trip as they had very inexpensive weekly rates. I have stayed a couple of times at the Amistad and if the food is as good as the Amistad, I will be very pleased.

I arranged the room directly with the hotel. I asked about the CRT discount and while not giving me a direct discount off of the rack rate, offered me a great deal for an king / balcony room with the all inclusive.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:01 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Glad that you got a room with balcony. I couldn't get one because there was none available to suit my schedule.

I have no experience with all inclusive even though I used to stay at Amistad. Is it better than going to the central ave and trying different restaurants, eateries etc.?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:49 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

All inclusive is more convenient and even if you do not eat there you will get the money back on your drinks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:02 am 

Lollypop54 wrote:
Glad that you got a room with balcony. I couldn't get one because there was none available to suit my schedule.

I have no experience with all inclusive even though I used to stay at Amistad. Is it better than going to the central ave and trying different restaurants, eateries etc.?

The way I look at it, at $10 a day, it's a no brainer. That's four beers (at 1500 colones) or a burger (with a tip) in the Sportsmens. You can still justify eating out when you want to venture out but dining in San Jose centro is quite expensive (for Latin America) unless you go to the sodas. Add in the free laundry, phones calls and airport transport it's a great deal.

I used to love going to the Central Market for lunch. I have no idea what it is like with the Covid restrictions.

I will still go over to Bar Poas for some of their specials for a late lunch. I also really like the burger at Selinas Hostel (right by the Sportsmens). I will get ceviches at the Sportsmens, Bar Poas and the Taormina bar for afternoon snacks.

I know a lot of good places have shut down for good. My favorite restaurant. Soda Peru (Delicias del Peru) just recently closed. So did Chelles, just down from the Presidente.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:14 am 

Awesome feedback! I'm sold on all-inclusive even before getting there. Even though I barely drink, it is starting to make sense from the point of view of convenience and a burger here sandwich there will cover it all. Central has gotten very expensive and even soda Chelles is starting to feel like a rip off joint. It is/was convenient at odd hours (Pre-pandemic).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:55 am 

Soda Peru and Chelles both closed pre-pandemic.The VAT did them both in. In the case of Soda Peru the owner decided it was time to retire and decided to close up rather than try to find a buyer.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:01 pm 

I am simply amazed Chelles closed permanently. They were open 24 hours and established for 50 years or so. The java was good as well as the salsa for the pinto.

My first few trips I stayed at Presidents and Balmoral when they were chica friendly. Then my main stay became El Morazan for convenience of walking to DR day or night. I once negotiated with the manager to stay 5 weeks for $55 a night in a larger room with a king bed.

A chica introduced me to SL a few years ago. $100 and she spent the day showing you sites or pampering you. The SL is my preferred hotel now. The quiet atmosphere and ever present good selection of chicas appeals to me. I totally agree about the treacherous bathtubs to get out of. So I am trying a room with a jacuzzi.

I have been hesitant to pull the trigger at Castillo for lack of eye candy. However I am a pool shooter and will stop by there while I am at SL April 9th for a week.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:10 pm 

Chelles operated for over 100 years and was a cultural gem. It opened its doors in 1909 and closed February 8, 2020.

Downtown was decimated before the pandemic and it hasn't improved.
https://qcostarica.com/costa-ricas-larg ... wn-photos/
https://qcostarica.com/san-jose-chepe-a-downtown-lost/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:15 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Would be nice if the La Amistad reopened.
Anyone got an update on when or if it will?
I contacted a couple "insiders" but got no reply.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:24 am 

nosejelly wrote:

why don't ya contact 1 of the real insiders, Matt, Darren, or Ernesto & see what ya get out of them?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:41 pm 

Lollypop54 wrote:
Awesome feedback! I'm sold on all-inclusive even before getting there. Even though I barely drink, it is starting to make sense from the point of view of convenience and a burger here sandwich there will cover it all. Central has gotten very expensive and even soda Chelles is starting to feel like a rip off joint. It is/was convenient at odd hours (Pre-pandemic).

I was on the Castillo's website and looked at the menu. The link takes you to a pdf of the Amistad menu so I am going to assume that the menu is similar, if not the same. I would imagine that some selections will not be available until occupancy rates increase but even with a partial menu, there will be plenty of variety.

My only disappointment was that it doesn't look like they have that incredibly fat pork chop on the menu any longer. It was my favorite entre at the Amistad and that thing had to be 3 to 4 inches in width and was cooked to perfection. If I remember correctly, you had to order it 45 minutes to an hour ahead of time.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:49 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

SinCity wrote:
nosejelly wrote:

why don't ya contact 1 of the real insiders, Matt, Darren, or Ernesto & see what ya get out of them?

I'm not that lazy. Already did. No reply to my PM and email inquiries. Thought maybe a "real" CRTer might have a recent update.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:03 am 

x

Last edited by SinCity on Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:06 am 

Quote:
pdf of the Amistad menu so I am going to assume that the menu is similar, if not the same. I would imagine that some selections will not be available until occupancy rates increase but even with a partial menu, there will be plenty of variety.

i was told that they r constantly updating the the menu ie: getting rid of items nobody ever orders.