www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Castillo vs Sportmens
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:19 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I have always stayed at SL or Presidente (when it was there for us). Now, thinking of trying Castillo. Covid and DelRey closing have upsided logistics so I have a few questions:

- Crowd size (Ticas) & talent :lol:
- Room quality (Castillo may be newer and have better views?)
- All-inclusive is not for me as I like the freedom to eat anywhere besides breakfast. Is their free breakfast on par with Sportsmen?

Thanks

Last edited by Lollypop54 on Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:15 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

In MHO Castillo breakfast is Much Better.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:39 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I stayed at SL in January for the first time. I liked the fact that they monitored how many people were in the bar etc. I liked that they let their guests in first. I liked the ability to get a beer in the morning as Castillo opens their bar at noon. My room was clean although the bed was not comfortable. I would stay at SL again. As far as Castillo, I visited that property daily and sometimes twice a day. They were much more "open" with the pandemic rules. However, I was able to see the updated rooms and suites and they are nice. I drink a lot of beer so the all inclusive would appeal to me. The food looked Meh but the bar service was better than SL. As far as the local talent...I partook in excellent company from each place.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:43 pm 

MRH,
Thank you very much for the candid feedback. Definitely will try castello to break the routine and experience the nicer rooms.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:33 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Did Castillo ever get their water issues resolved? It was always a pain when you couldn't shower or flysh the john during the dry season.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:17 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Location: Sex Felony State (most other places p4p is just another day!)
SmegMan wrote:
Did Castillo ever get their water issues resolved? It was always a pain when you couldn't shower or flysh the john during the dry season.

It was good when I was down in mid Jan. 2021. When they were having issues was because they were tearing up the street out in front for something. I didn't see any road work when there last month.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:26 pm 

Some people seem to be getting great deals for multiple day stays whilst SL is not negotiatig at all. Would someone care to post their success story and which room they got.?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:46 pm 

Lollypop54 wrote:
Some people seem to be getting great deals for multiple day stays whilst SL is not negotiatig at all. Would someone care to post their success story and which room they got.?

SL usually posts it's specials on here. I'm not sure if you negotiate your room rate in the USA...not sure why you would expect to at the SL. I've had deals there...but they were posted, advertised, etc. and they generally did not offer discounts in the peak season. Nor does anyone else usually.

Now with Covid, not sure. But I suspect the SL has been at their allowed capacity. Perhaps other places have not been and so they offer discounts. And at least the SL, Castillo, and HLH generally post their promotions on here.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:16 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Zeos wrote:
Lollypop54 wrote:

SL usually posts it's specials on here. I'm not sure if you negotiate your room rate in the USA...not sure why you would expect to at the SL. I've had deals there...but they were posted, advertised, etc. and they generally did not offer discounts in the peak season. Nor does anyone else usually.

Now with Covid, not sure. But I suspect the SL has been at their allowed capacity. Perhaps other places have not been and so they offer discounts. And at least the SL, Castillo, and HLH generally post their promotions on here.

As I write this, the SL online booking shows 21 available room for this Saturday. That represents a 25% occupancy rate on this peak season weekend. Seems to me like a little negotiating is in order. As mama always said "Some money is better than no money".

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:33 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

I've never stayed at SL but I've negotiated a better than advertised promo price at the other hotels I've stayed at in the Gulch. Did the same here in the USA and in Europe. Never hurts to ask.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:30 am 

SmegMan wrote:
Zeos wrote:
Lollypop54 wrote:

As I write this, the SL online booking shows 21 available room for this Saturday. That represents a 25% occupancy rate on this peak season weekend. Seems to me like a little negotiating is in order. As mama always said "Some money is better than no money".

I doubt that will happen. The owner is all about the money.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:47 am 

I doubt that will happen. The owner is all about the money.[/quote]

And if you own a business you are supposed to do what? Look, these places have been hammered by Covid, it is surprising that they have survived it.

You should be happy to pay a premium as a token of your gratitude. Their Covid price should be the full rate plus a mandatory 20% tip as a thank you for staying open after losing a pile of money for a year.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:10 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Zeos wrote:

And if you own a business you are supposed to do what? Look, these places have been hammered by Covid, it is surprising that they have survived it.

You should be happy to pay a premium as a token of your gratitude. Their Covid price should be the full rate plus a mandatory 20% tip as a thank you for staying open after losing a pile of money for a year.

If you own a hotel you fill the rooms whatever it takes. If you can’t do that and also pay your bills, you close the business and get out with what you can. WTF is with this gratefulness to overpay for a freaking hotel room???

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:52 am 

Agreed 100%.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:36 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Too funny! Whitecat accusing someone of being "all about the money".