www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Parking at Castillo ?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:17 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Will have a rental car for a few nights while staying El Castillo. Is there off street parking available ?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:17 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Count your costs, eight nights in San Jose (4@SL, 4@Castillo) with a rental car is a big expense for little benefit. This is especially true with the current restrictions. Uber or taxis are cheaper and easier.

With UberEats you can have food and groceries for the room (snacks, water, booze, tobacco) delivered. With Rappi you can also get condoms, lube, sex toys.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:51 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

TakiTaki wrote:
Will have a rental car for a few nights while staying El Castillo. Is there off street parking available ?

Rental Car is a hassle. Uber is your friend.
But there are a couple 24hr public pay to park lots within 5 minute walk of Castillo.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:49 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

You should be able to park short term out front, maybe for a small city parking fee. Longer term you can park for free next to La Amistad in the parking lot they own. Search for this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=49950

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:31 am 

rental cars are not subject to the restrictions only curfews.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:46 am 

Ilv4play wrote:
rental cars are not subject to the restrictions only curfews.

As though a curfew isn't a restriction.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:55 pm 

Boynton wrote:

You can drive a rental car even if your plate number is not allowed for the day or days. You still might get stopped because of your plate number, but once they determine it is a rental car you are on your way. Curfew is a different animal.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:37 pm 

Ilv4play wrote:
Boynton wrote:

You can drive a rental car even if your plate number is not allowed for the day or days. You still might get stopped because of your plate number, but once they determine it is a rental car you are on your way. Curfew is a different animal.

Yeah, I guess your curfew is where you can go wherever you want and do whatever you want, unfortunately there is nowhere to go and nothing to do when you get there. :roll:

The point remains, there is no good reason to spend dollars on a rental car in San Jose right now. But if you do make sure it is a bright and shiny new one. Preferably a soft (slash) top convertible that you can park on the street or in one of the "super secure" parking lots. Don't bother to insure it, just leave your CRT card on the dash along with your wallet, passport, and rolex.

Or take an Uber and rent the car on your way to Jaco.

Last edited by Boynton on Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:32 pm 

Take the advice. Absolutely no reason to have a rental here. Waste of money. Face it, you won’t know where you’re going anyway......I live here and I won’t drive in this city. Spend the extra money on a couple of overpriced pro putas at SL. Take Uber for 3-5 bucks anywhere you want to go. Going to Jaco? Take the bus for 5 bucks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:11 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

my guess is they would let you park in the secure lot next to La Amistad. It is a short walk. And I concur that driving there does not make sense. I did it once because I wanted to spend a couple days at the beach and I regretted it. Driving there is stressful and after factoring in the insurance, it is not cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:46 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

When I used the lot next to L.A. I had to have my car out before 8am M-F so the local Medical Professionals could park there. Not sure if that's the deal now, but Darren @ Castillo would know.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:23 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Thanks guys, agree, the week in the city will be Uber etc. Planning picking up a few buddies at airport for week 2 in Jaco. They are both 1st timers, we can stop and feed the crocs etc. Wasn’t sure if getting car the day before would be a pia. Sounds like it. Probably better to just hit adobe the morning of,,skip the hassle. 3 weeks out, :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:42 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

The issue with Rental is you need to buy Full insurance coverage with the rental company (your home car insurance coverage is not accepted); this is where it gets expensive. If you still plan to get a rental, reserve it while in the US with full insurance coverage at the time of you making the reservation...adding it while in CR it gets even more expensive as they have you at the rental counter without being able to get the car unless you buy it.

Based on your plans with friends to go to Jaco and make stops, a car rental for that part of your trip makes sense....but will be expensive..... you could probably get a driver to drive you guys for the day out there and make stops and be less than a rental. If you need driver recommendation that speaks English, send me a private message.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:40 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

VG above re do it online, better deal, easier getaway. I came to like Budget alot. No need if only SJ or Jaco. Use your phone and film in, out, engine, make sure they mark even a pubic hair scratch on the inspection report which you will get a carbon, they are all scammers on return. Rear window was open for 5 minutes sudden intense down pour. Julio is feeling the floor, says you were thru a river which is a big no no. So why is it only wet in a 2 x 2 space Senor Tico?

And on the their copy orig Inspection report i write in Spanish and bigly:Car total photo'd at agency.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:48 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I had a really good experience with Toyota Car Rental. Rented a car the day I needed, no prior agreement, just walked in. They didn't gouge me on insurance. They have a tablet they use to record the condition of the car as you look it over with them. They allowed me to drop it off at their other location without any problem.

I will never drive after dark in CR again. I also won't ride in a tour van after dark either, but driving myself was worse. My brother, who is a much more aggressive driver than me here in the states, flat out refused to drive. You are in constant danger of clipping someone walking or riding a bike on the edge of the road who you can't see until your on top of them, or you're at risk of a head on collision with another car trying to avoid the same.