www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:44 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Boynton wrote:
Bigeasygates wrote:
Strictly transportation, she used to play but has gone straight. Very dependable especially at 1:00 am

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Probably not for this guy's trip later this month.
Forgot about the driver cut off time, thanks. Red taxi...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:31 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

UBer isn't perfect especially in downtown SJ. Sometimes they will tell you to walk to a pickup point but I have no idea where the pickup is and you can't get a person on the phone and when the driver calls you he can't find you. I need crutches to get around and it is difficult to get around looking for the Uber, but 90% of the time they come right to you. Also with the new tax they are no cheaper than the taxis. And the taxis use the old addresses so it is less easy to find a complicated place.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:52 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I like Uber more than the red taxies. Yes, there is a tax on them now, but for years I have never had a problem. Last trip to the airport was 8,000 colones, almost half from the red taxies.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:02 pm 

The pickup point is generally a blue dot on the map. If that is not where you want to be, you can drag the pickup point to your location. Fir example, San Pedro Mall has two pickup locations, one in front and one in back. You can select either of these, or drag the pickup location. I do this for example if I am wanting to be picked up outside the garage entrance.

Downtown San Jose does get trickier with its stopping/parking restrictions and taxi queues. I also walk with a cane. My strategy is that I carry with me a red cap. I also have "Hablo español poquito y camino con una caña y una gorra roja" in a note on my phone (I speak Spanish a little and I walk with a cane and a red cap). I paste this into the chat in the Uber app. Sometimes it works, other times the driver will cancel the ride (no cost to me) and I can request the ride again. Its not perfect, but works mostly.

My main plusses for Uber over Taxi are
1. I can carry less cash and my card gives me bank exchange rates plus points.
2. Knowing the route and cost in advance.
3. Knowing the driver was randomly chosen.
4. Being able to request a larger car if I am willing to wait. This is important at PriceSmart or EPA.

DiDi is a little cheaper, OMNI+ sucks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:15 pm 

tom_kat wrote:
UBer isn't perfect especially in downtown SJ. Sometimes they will tell you to walk to a pickup point but I have no idea where the pickup is and you can't get a person on the phone and when the driver calls you he can't find you. I need crutches to get around and it is difficult to get around looking for the Uber, but 90% of the time they come right to you. Also with the new tax they are no cheaper than the taxis. And the taxis use the old addresses so it is less easy to find a complicated place.

"No cheaper than the taxis"...Saywhuttt?

I use them all the time and I typically experience 50% to 75% of taxi expense the vast majority of time, I'm in Escazu and it's always 1/2 of what a taxi is to go downtown.

I do see they are about the same as short rides, mainly with few or no turns, and on Christmas Eve Uber was double what they normally are and I caught a cab for a short ride and paid 1/2 of what they were asking, but that's an exception.

When you get into distances of a couple miles or more it really adds up and they can't play any bs games to clip you for more money... :x