www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:23 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

I’ve visited the Sportsmen’s many times but never stayed there...I’m looking to book a stay there in November, I’m a little confused by the floor plan, looking for a reasonable room not really close to the bar, would the ones listed as being in the Courtyard be far enough away from the bar? -just in case I didn’t want to sleep without all the noise :))
Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:33 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Yes, there is a door that separates the courtyard and the bar area and it is very quiet

EDIT the Clubhouse is separated from the bar area by a door

Last edited by Jfoot on Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:45 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Court yard is a good choice.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:53 pm 

I think you mean the clubhouse (Amistad, Alegría, Fiesta, etc) the courtyard (Tranquilidad) is right by the bar.

Floor Plan
https://sportsmenscr.com/hotel-floorplan/

Courtyard Wing - Loudest area, easiest access to the bar. The
Presidential Suite has a jacuzzi and a shower that can fit my fat ass + 3 spinners. You can also set up a kiddie pool (there is a floor drain), bring an air mattress and teach a chica about soapies. Tranquilidad has the best handicapped access. I was able to use a wheelchair in the shower. Get a chair with removable arms and fun can be had.

Clubhouse Wing - near the gym area, quiet with its own sitting area. Good WiFi, I have done work video conferencing there with nice decor as a backdrop. Rooms are smaller, but less expensive.

Modern Wing -up two steps and behind the computer area. One set of public bathrooms are there. I like Hermosa except for the morning garbage trucks and beer delivery. Large windows overlook the bar balcony if you want you put on a show. Las Palmas is probably best combo of quiet but easy bar access.

Mansion Wing - Best and most expensive rooms. Quite a hike from the bar and lots of stairs, but worth the coin if one is available. Torro Negro is the best room in the best hotel in this best if all possible worlds.

Last edited by Boynton on Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:05 pm 

I did mean the clubhouse.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:41 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Me too. Oops :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:55 pm 

ya'll must have stayed at the Bizzaro Sportsmens :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:11 pm 

Whoops, I meant the Clubhouse-thanks for the information

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:24 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

That is excellent info Boynton! Saves a lot of trial and error.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:33 pm 

Boynton wrote:
I think you mean the clubhouse (Amistad, Alegría, Fiesta, etc) the courtyard (Tranquilidad) is right by the bar.

Floor Plan
https://sportsmenscr.com/hotel-floorplan/

Courtyard Wing - Loudest area, easiest access to the bar. The
Presidential Suite has a jacuzzi and a shower that can fit my fat ass + 3 spinners. You can also set up a kiddie pool (there is a floor drain), bring an air mattress and teach a chica about soapies. Tranquilidad has the best handicapped access. I was able to use a wheelchair in the shower. Get a chair with removable arms and fun can be had.

Clubhouse Wing - near the gym area, quiet with its own sitting area. Good WiFi, I have done work video conferencing there with nice decor as a backdrop. Rooms are smaller, but less expensive.

Modern Wing -up two steps and behind the computer area. One set of public bathrooms are there. I like Hermosa except for the morning garbage trucks and beer delivery. Large windows overlook the bar balcony if you want you put on a show. Las Palmas is probably best combo of quiet but easy bar access.

Mansion Wing - Best and most expensive rooms. Quite a hike from the bar and lots of stairs, but worth the coin if one is available. Torro Negro is the best room in the best hotel in this best if all possible worlds.

I really appreciate this info
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:03 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

if the bar closes at 10:00pm, and San Jose rolls up the sidewalks around the same time, the Courtyard rooms might not be so bad. They are actually decent and large rooms. Can't remember the room name, but first one on the left, headed from the hotel entrance to the bar. Tica and I broke the bed in there, the first time I stayed at SL. Was too embarrassed to say anything, so I was just going to deal with it. Came back to the room that night, and the bed was fixed, no mention from management, no threat of a charge or nothing. Awesome service.

Bar noise, and the clicking of high heels back and forth outside the rooms all night was my main issue. Otherwise, the rooms are no that bad. Easy access to the bar, and for the industrious, make your own bar inside the room, invite the girls in, and have constant company all night, trade drinks for favors.

Probably don't let the bartenders catch you though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:35 pm 

Also, the music is not being played as loud in the bar during the COVID restrictions. Thus should make the courtyard rooms quieter (for now).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:16 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

El Rey is in the modern wing — up two steps from the bar, with a door that opens to the Internet area, and has an enclosed patio sundeck with couch and chairs so you can feel like you're outside if that's your thing. The safe box in the closet is large enough for a 17" laptop to sit flat, though it must be turned diagonal to slide past the hinge and rim. Stayed there for a week last winter, had strong Wi-Fi at all hours and the bar music was not loud enough to bother me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:40 pm 

I mostly stay in Leon when available. Huge frickin jacuzzi tub. Easily fits 2 maybe even 3. Puma, directly across from Leon is great too. Upstairs Toro Negro has a massive jaccuzzi tub in the room. Those are all great rooms.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:49 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I always stay in El Rey... And I wont stay anywhere else. Its perfect.