www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:28 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I'm trying to find a flight for a Tico back to CR but there is nothing. The CR Consulates in the US aren't answering their phones. I called United and Spirit and they have nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:53 pm 

None that I have heard of, and not surprising about the consulates. They don't answer here either.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:05 pm 

Here is a snippet from a 31-Jul TicoTimes article about US repatriations that also refers to CR repatriations on the outbound leg.

"United Airlines will operate three commercial repatriation flights each week from Juan Santamaria Airport (SJO) to Houston, Texas (IAH).

These flights will take place on Monday, Thursday, and Friday through August 31. United Airlines will not conduct flights from Daniel Oduber Quiros Airport in Liberia during August. Please visit http://www.United.com for details on pricing and flight times.

The schedule for commercial repatriation flights on Spirit Airlines is still pending.

The Costa Rican Consulate suggests that Costa Rican citizens and residents who last left the country before March 26 are among the only people who can enter Costa Rica on the outbound leg of these flights. (We are still waiting for official confirmation via a decree in La Gaceta.)"

https://ticotimes.net/2020/07/31/u-s-re ... -in-august

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:07 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Orange wrote:
I'm trying to find a flight for a Tico back to CR but there is nothing. The CR Consulates in the US aren't answering their phones. I called United and Spirit and they have nothing.

Orange,

Looks like United has a flight Houston to SJO on August 6 for about $650 economy one-way. Departs 8:00 AM and arrives SJO about 10:30 AM.

Hope it helps. I went to their website and found it.

Woozo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:20 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

United is doing "repatriation" flights SJO to Houston and also Spirit to Fort Lauderdale. From the frequent emails from the U.S. embassy (yesterday):

"United Airlines will operate three commercial repatriation flights each week from Juan Santamaria Airport (SJO) to Houston, Texas (IAH). These flights will take place on Monday, Thursday, and Friday through August 31." ....also, "visit United website for booking"....etc.
"Spirit Airlines is offering a commercial repatriation flight on Friday August 7. The flight will depart SJO Airport in San José, Costa Rica and arrive at FLL Airport in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. Visit www.spirit.com for flight times and ticket prices."

I assumed returning CR citizens (and residents who left CR before 12 March (or 15 March or whatever?) would be coming back to CR on these flights (??). They aren't carrying Americans coming this way except for maybe embassy people, diplomats, etc who are in an official capacity. I haven't seen any other flight activity listed on the SJO "airline plans" list other than a couple "repat" flights planned to Fort Lauderdale on 7 & 14 Aug by Spirit. Here is the website for "airline plans" on the SJO airport website:
https://sjoairport.com/reporte-operaciones/

I've been watching the flight situation closely as I live in CR and I am ready to leave for Mexico no matter how long it is before I'm allowed back into CR (I'm a resident). Volaris might be a possibility too, but I don't know if they are flying to/from the U.S. from Mexico yet. The SJO airport list show a couple "repatriation" flights to Mexico City this month from SJO and also their website shows regular flights SJO - Cancun starting up 1st week in Sept but that doesn't mean they'll be allowed to by CR. If they're listed as a "repatriation" flights that means they aren't bringing anybody inbound to CR, so they will probably go.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:15 pm 

Yo,
"I'm trying to find a flight for a Tico back to CR"
From US to Cr, not the other way around.
Regards, 911 Driver

The happy hour is a device either for getting rid of social obligations hurriedly en masse or for making overtures toward more serious social relationships, as in the etiquette of whoring.- Brooks Atkinson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:30 pm 

911 Driver wrote:
Yo,
"I'm trying to find a flight for a Tico back to CR"
From US to Cr, not the other way around.
Regards, 911 Driver

Yo yo
The US repatriation flights ARE the CR repatriation flights. US (for US citizens and qualified residents one way, CR (for Ticos and qualified residents) the other way. United - 3 per week out of Houston, Sprint - 1 per week out of a Fort Lauderdale.

You book from through the airline web site, not for two way travel. You go, you stay gone.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:53 pm 

thanks all.

Yesterday, I booked him for the 27th. Too close to make the flight tomorrow since the flight is 8am, so he'd have to get to Houston tonight.