www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:33 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I am currently in San Jose. I need to get to Liberia to get my international flight.

Prices I am getting online for the SJO-LIB flight is around $150usd :shock: - ridiculously high prices!!

Coincidentally, my hotel receptionist is from Liberia and he flies back almost 10 times a year. He asked on my behalf and the price was $52 (he told them I was not costa rican and they said they still offer it).

While the biggest risk is that at the airport they ask me to pay the difference.. I wanted to know if any other non-Costa Ricans has successfully gotten the 'local' price and not needed to pay the difference at the airport, etc

I am really looking for posts from people who have first hand experience or have heard about real cases about this dual pricing and how it applies to non-Costa Ricans.

$52vs $150 is a huge difference .. Otherwise it's a long 5hr bus journey again for me.. With the risk of traffic delays (a local told me it has taken him 10+ hours on some occasions. Mine will be on Sunday so less risks.

Last edited by njay22 on Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:38 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Be aware that they have very strict luggage policies and will weigh you and your baggage before the flight. If you have more than 1 bag that weighs more than 10 kilos you are going to pay extra. The buses to Liberia are pretty nice and cheap but you need to keep an eye on your belongings unless they get stored under the bus, then you need to pay attention when they open the storage up to get things out that someone is not helping themselves to your belongings. As for traffic, you are not going to get too delayed once you get out of town

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:46 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Thanks

Problem with the buses .. I actually can't fit in their seats (I took pulmitan from Liberia to san jose).. 2 metres tall

Luckily the seat next to me was empty (I kept my bag and tied them to the seat) .. Even then I couldn't fit. It was torture!! The other thing is.. If I take a flight.. I can visit an MP before the flight :twisted: :lol: 8)

Yeah I have 2 bags (1 carry on, 1 check in.. Backpacks and about 15kgs total)