www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sportsmen's Lodge
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:41 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Just back from an 8 day trip to San Jose and Panama - it turned into an 8 day trip becuase of all of the snow in the North East. Just got in Friday between snow storms. Getting ready for my next trip on Super Bowl weekend. - Life is tough!

I just wanted to give a short review on the Sportmen's Lodge. I usually stay at the Presidente, but with all the rookies streaming down, it was booked solid. I can't say enough about the Hotel. Bill Alexander and his staff, especialy Ray, have done a remarkable job in a very short time frame. The hospitality and friendly atmosphere which he has developed and encouraged is fantastic; it was like staying at an old friend's house. Enjoyed meeting some board members, especially Sluthog, for the first time. Can't wait for Super Bowl.

Unlike the fictional bar in Boston, at the Sportmen's everybody does know your name.

:lol:

dekalb45

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:57 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I couldn't agree more with Dekalb 85. Just got back from my first trip to CR. I stayed at the Marriott (free with points). It's a nice hotel, but fortunately I found my way to the Sportsmens early on in my trip. The problem with the Marriott is that you're a half hour and at least a ten dollar cab ride from anywhere. So, if you feel like chilling out for a while , then getting back in action, it will cost you $20 in cabfare and an hour of cab rides to and from the Marriott.

I had a chance to check out some of the hotels downtown too. They're okay, but one of the things I liked about Sportsmens was the at home feeling of the place. It's a couple of blocks from just about everthing, but not right in the middle of the noise and traffic. I met some good CRT people there, Tman, TTiggerr, a few others who I don't know their CRT names, and the incorrigible and aptly named Sluthog. I got a lot of great help from these folks who helped make my newbie trip a good one.

Bill and his team are all friendly and helpful. Margie is a sweetheart, everyone helps to make the place comfortable. I believe this place is really going to be popular. I just hope I'll be able to plan my next trip enough in advance to get a reservation there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:37 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

JoltinJoe,I am glad you didn't have a heart attack with that first sailfish; I would have hated to have to do CPR on your ugly mug !!! And just remembeer what she said (the puta) "no leche y mas leche". Had a great time amigo and next time don't get so borracho!!!

Dekalb45, Enjoyed our repartee!! Hope to hook up again in the future.

PAX,
Sluthog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:54 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

C'mon Sluthog, you've had that mouth in a lot of worse places 8) Probably within the last 10 minutes even.

Thanks to your help my first fishing trip was a great time, my first sailfish being a great event for me! But si, too much boracho es no bueno. Next time I think I'll stay away from the beer and try some of that guano that you drink.

Post subject: Noise
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:15 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

I enjoy the Sportsman's Lodge and visit the bar there often when in town, but I have to wonder about staying there. The main reason I got tired of the DR scene was noise all night. When I stopped going down to the BM at 4 AM to see what was going on, and found that I was irritated by the noise, I knew it was time to go someplace real. Having all of the rooms open on the public area is great if you are having a party, but I have my doubts for a longer stay. Obviously, staying someplace for a weekend is different from staying for a month. My guess is that the SL (maybe that should be added to the official abbreviations) is a better place for a weekend than longer term. How is the noise at night? Am I wrong? I've never been there in the middle of the night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:42 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I'm a fairly light sleeper and was not awaken by any noise at night during my stay. I even took a nap during the first playoff games when the court yard was full of folks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:23 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

My room has been rite next to the bar and no problems as most nights the bar closes about midnite; approximately 1 to 2 AM on weekends. Muy tranquillo !!! :lol: Been here off and on for 20 plus days.
PAX,
Sluthog

Post subject: Sportsmen's Lodge
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:46 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Just returned from a wonderful 8-day stay in San Jose. On my first day, I dropped in on the Sportmen's Lodge and was personally recruited by Bill Anderson to join the ranks of the CRT VIP membership.
Great food and drink, a very attractive staff and the warm camaraderie at the SL made me feel right at home. I enjoyed meeting other VIP members including Sluthog and DeKalb45. Needless to say, the SL became one of my favorite stops during my visit to SJ.
I will be back!

Pura Vida...enjoying life to the fullest...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:35 am 

I shall, by this post, add my name to the list of clients (and friends) impressed by the class, elegance, and service at the Sportsmen's Lodge.

Bill and his gorgeous novia, Carina, are first-class hotel/bar operators. Wanda is employed at the reception desk and, as always, offers exceptional effort along with her unique effervecience.

World class place in my estimation.

I wish them great success, and I will be booking early for my next trip. I suspect they will become quite popular.

Pura vida!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:54 pm 

El Jefe & Blue Devil...

Both class guys...I look forward to seeing you both back in San Jose very soon!!

Good luck on your business ventures gentlemen.

Best Regards,

Bill

Post subject: pickup
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:09 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

I read in another thread that SL sent someone to pick him up at the airport. That is a nice perk. I'll probably still stay around the corner, where I can get a kitchenette, which is a necessity staying for a month, but I'll eat and/or drink at SL several times a week. In any case I wish SL the best, since it is a good neighborhood bar, and the staff have gone out of their way to be helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:24 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Heading there in April and had a question from those that have stayed at the SL.

My traveling group will consist of some people that may not be up to the tica sportfishing. Will the SL be too much for them or can tica fishers and landlubbers alike stay here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:11 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Hemi...,
If you haven't booked your accomodations at SL don't hesitate. Bill can accomodate any combo of people. He basically has 2 sections; one just a little more secluded than the other. The total atmosphere is laid back and everyone of any persuasion can and will be comfortable. The lounge and bar/restaurant area is lively but not obnoxious and everyone has a good time.
I just got back "home" this afternoon and am under great stress because I am not in CR, let alone the SL.
Sportsmens is not a mini DR and I am assured it never will be. (Although I will always love the BM no matter how it seems to slowly change for the worst).
Bye the way: Thanks again Bill and Karina :D
PAX,
Sluthog

Post subject: Sportsman Lodge
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:30 pm 

I am planning another trip to San Jose probably in May. In the past I have always stayed at the Presidente. After reading about Sportman Lodge on this board I was thinking of giving it a try. A couple of questions I have, do they have in room safes ? Also, how well known is it to the taxi drivers, my spanish is very limited, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:56 pm 

The taxi drivers don't know it that well so this is what you tell them. It is right around the corner from Cafe Mundo in Barrio Amon or up the hill from Don Carlos in Barrio Amon. I think there are safes in the room. Not sure because I don't have anything to put in there. It is definitely a great place to stay. I'll be there for the 4th time this weekend. The service is excellent. Can't wait to get back and see Margie, Wanda and the rest of the chicas.